The Diversity of Civs

The US is definitely not European. In fact even the British don't really consider themselves Europeans. They try to separate themselves as much as possible. They're special.
My response was mainly aimed at this post by wigwam:
wigwam said:
Let's get quantitative about this. There are UUs in seven of the game's eight eras, so we can call Industrial, Modern, and Atomic "late" for units.

Late-game European UUs, counting America as European: B-17, Panzer, Norwegian Ski Infantry, Hussar, Cossack, Carolean (six in total, two horse units)

Late-game non-European UUs, counting Brazil as non-European: Zero, Pracinha, Mehal Sefari, Comanche Riders, Berber Cavalry (five in total, two horse units)

There are UBs and UIs in only four of the game's eras, so let's call Medieval and Renaissance "late" for buildings/improvements.

Late-game European UBs/UIs: Ceilidh Hall, Coffee House, Feitoria, Polder, Chateau (five in total)

Late-game non-European UBs/UIs, counting Brazil as non-European: Brazilwood Camp, Satrap's Court, Candi, Longhouse, Kasbah, Mughal Fort, Wat (seven in total)
I would actually be fairly interested in hearing his justifications as to why, exactly, he considers the USA to be more European than Brazil.

The US is definitely not European. In fact even the British don't really consider themselves Europeans. They try to separate themselves as much as possible. They're special.

When you see "European", read "Western".

The US isn't special. It just thinks it is.

I would actually be fairly interested in hearing his justifications as to why, exactly, he considers the USA to be more European than Brazil.

I presume it's largely a legacy of the 20th century. Europe and USA being the central "developed" powers and maintaining strong links. Additionally, huge migration to the USA has been continually going on from all parts of Europe for the last 500 years. I don't know about Brazil so much, but i don't suppose it's had nearly as much European migration, nearly as diverse of nearly as recently. It has grown apart and grown separately, being absorbed into the latin american community more the the "western" community. It's mostly to do with cultural similarities and familiarity. Brazil doesn't have much in the way of tertiary industry exports, which is what consumers (your average joe) see the most. America and Europe heavily exports these to each other.

etc.

I presume it's largely a legacy of the 20th century. Europe and USA being the central "developed" powers and maintaining strong links. Additionally, huge migration to the USA has been continually going on from all parts of Europe for the last 500 years. I don't know about Brazil so much, but i don't suppose it's had nearly as much European migration, nearly as diverse of nearly as recently. It has grown apart and grown separately, being absorbed into the latin american community more the the "western" community. It's mostly to do with cultural similarities and familiarity. Brazil doesn't have much in the way of tertiary industry exports, which is what consumers (your average joe) see the most. America and Europe heavily exports these to each other.

etc.

The southern Americas also have no inhibitions about the "Chinese" threat. I hear China's building a canal through Nicaragua. That much make the US hate south america.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-25billion-channel-country-funded-China.html

I honestly think the reason why Brazil doesn't count as European is because of the diversity. You see different ethnicities much more commonly than you do in certain parts of the US do to its size. Being politically incorrect, basically you see a brown person every day.

How many times do I have to explain this? I get the sense that you're being deliberately obtuse—not to mention putting words in my mouth—so let's make this the last time.

I do not consider the US more European than Brazil. In a discussion about diversity in the game Civilization 5, I group the US with the European civilizations, and Brazil with the non-European civilizations, because that is how Americans see the world. From the perspective of the developers and the majority of players, there is a group of familiar, frequently-represented developed nations, and then there's the exotic rest of the world. Brazil is—and please stop conflating my descriptions of common views with my own views—exotic. It makes the game more "diverse" in a reductive way.

How many times do I have to explain this? I get the sense that you're being deliberately obtuse—not to mention putting words in my mouth—so let's make this the last time.

I do not consider the US more European than Brazil. In a discussion about diversity in the game Civilization 5, I group the US with the European civilizations, and Brazil with the non-European civilizations, because that is how Americans see the world. From the perspective of the developers and the majority of players, there is a group of familiar, frequently-represented developed nations, and then there's the exotic rest of the world. Brazil is—and please stop conflating my descriptions of common views with my own views—exotic. It makes the game more "diverse" in a reductive way.

I think the arguments were all started when you used the word "European" instead of "Western" (or whatever word closer to your intention). I personally also feels that Brazil adds certain amount of so-called "exoticism", at least better than to put another typical "Western" civs in the game. However, I welcome Venice and feel somewhat about Portugal (though is nice to see a Civ from older civ games got resurrected and Naval oriented one that is). Poland is okay I guess, though probably I would love to see more exotic European civs like Bohemia, Hungary, Lithuania, Bosnia or Serbia (each was once a power house in Europe, at least for a small length of time)

The last half of the game takes place between the 19th Century and the present, when European countries controlled over 80% of the world's land mass. Really the only non-European civ I could see having a good late game unit for conquest is Japan but the Zero isn't that great. Maybe if they gave them the Yamato class battleship or the I-400 submarine that allows you to carry 1 Fighter or Bomber or just buffed the Zero.

When I read the word Diversity, my eyes went red and my brain went black.

Then I woke up and shivered at the thought of anyone using that buzzword in the context most do.

Luckily OP is a pretty cool guy and did not.

What's wrong with Chu-Ko-Nu? It's a pretty cool weapon that was associated with China for a long time. It's a pretty logical replacement for the crossbow. I also don't see the problem with Napoleon. I agree that there may be better leaders, but that's true for any civ. As an American, I'd prefer Thomas Jefferson, as Washington was a rather unremarkable ruler. Competent, but unremarkable.

So you default from an unremarkable leader to one who did even less? Lincoln or FDR probably have the most credentials for leaders of the US. Actually, Polk fits the UA perfectly, and was far more successful, but no one knows him, so.

I'd appreciate seeing more non-European civs just to change it up, but honestly, game play is king. Shoshone were added over other NA tribes largely because of their gameplay possibilities. Same for Venice, Sweden, etc, and as much as other great empires are unrepresented, I love playing as Sweden. There's always the hope that Civ 6 will add some deserving civs, but as long as they're fun to play, I don't mind more Europe.

Top Bottom