Those who watch Civ5 youtube series

Phuket

Chieftain
Interested to hear what those of you who watch Civ5 playthroughs on youtube enjoy to actually watch in those playthroughs.

Any particular civilization?

What kind of difficulty?

What kind of speed? (Standard, Epic, ect)

What Kind of Victory conditions?

Any special achievements or accomplishments?

Feel free to throw in any and all information out side of the questions above. For me personally I enjoy watching games on standard speed and with deity difficulty. The civilization and victory type doesn't really matter much to me outside of that. Interested to see what everyone likes! Thanks! :)

I like to watch live stream(twitch) games these days.

I prefer to just play Civ, not watch someone else play. ;)
I completely agree with you. I don't have enough free time to play as often as I would like. I don't see myself spending anytime watching someone else play on Youtube.

I used to listen to Marbozir while I was working, but my company banned streaming media :( As other's have said, I don't watch any videos at home; I'd rather spend what little spare time I have actually playing the game myself.

I prefer more domination focused lp's. My favorite are probably peddroelm, marbozir, and maddjinn (although he doesn't record civ 5 games anymore it seems). And since I play epic and marathon more often than standard, I tend to prefer marbozir's since he plays mostly epic.

And I have very limited free time as well, but sometimes it's easier to just watch a 30 minute video than to set up or get back into a game when you don't have a few hours to commit to it. But then again, I grew up with older brothers hogging the computers and game consoles, so I'm just used to it maybe.

Marbozir's LPs were extremely helpful to learn the game when I first bought the game. There's probably better players out there, but at least with Marbozir you get a bit of humour and you don't have to listen to someone mumble into the mic for half an hour.

I only play SP Civ and learnt a lot of what I know from the previously mentioned streamers; Maddjinn at first and Marbozir/Peddroelm once I discovered them later on. Any Civ, Deity level, any speed, preferably Domination or a fast other victory.

However these days if I watch any Civ it's MP games on Twitch from Filthyrobot, Babayetu, Yoruus, Arvius and other NoQuitters steam group members. It doesn't matter that MP is completely different. I watch because it's more action packed and unpredictable and the streamers, who are often all on teamspeak together, are fun and make it an enjoyable experience.

I watch them here and there. I've probably viewed 3 or 4 complete series of a game.

I really liked berg787's videos.

Seems like a lot of people enjoy Marbozir. I really enjoy his series and watch them all myself. I haven't checked out any multiplayer civilization series. I bet that is a whole different type of game and loads of fun as well. I'd really like to do a multiplayer civ game myself.

Marbozir's LPs were extremely helpful to learn the game when I first bought the game. There's probably better players out there, but at least with Marbozir you get a bit of humour and you don't have to listen to someone mumble into the mic for half an hour.

Agreed.

He definitely plays too fast/careless with moves at time, especially with meat shield units and misses a lot of stuff. Playing Epic is nice though, I don't really like Standard speed so watching slow games is nice.

peddroelm is rather entertaining when starts to rant though. Some of his games are pretty funny. He takes a lot more advantage of the AI's weakness in war and definitely is more careful with unit placement and using meat shields to farm experience/keep ranged units in range to gain experience. Just finished his Inca game, oh how I love the Inca. :lol: That and of course the Dutch game of his is just awesome seeing the full capability of the Landship and the ignoring ZOC rules policy.

Marbozir is great, I often watch him while playing sometimes. I usually get bored in the mid game. Early and Late game are fun. His games with Quill are pretty cool as well they helped me because he teaches Quill stuff and then you learn as well

Marbozir is great. His games with Quill are pretty cool as well they helped me because he teaches Quill stuff and then you learn as well

I'm gonna have to watch his games with Quill. I bet that would be extremely useful. I'm trying to learn all the tricks I can for a deity playthrough. :D

I really enjoyed Maddjinn's LPs. I wish he did more Civ 5 BnW. Aside from that, I think Marbozir is pretty good, and so is Moriarte.

The only time I ever watch play thrus is when I haven`t bought the game and need to see if it`s worth my time. Once I have the game, I can`t see the point, for one simple reason:

Why should I waste hours watching someone else play a game when I could play it myself and get the benefit of the fun that I myself have achieved?

I usually watch Quill18 and Marbozir, especially their twin co-op games.

Sometimes when I don't feel like playing myself, I park myself in front of the tv and since very few things on that dumb box interest me, I go to youtube, some players can be entertaining to watch, like Quill or Marb.

I don't know if he is the all time great Civ player, but Marbozir is a gas to watch.

I found pedroelm boring. I really didn't care for MadDjinn's videos either. Both of those guys might be super players, but Marbozir (and Quill18) have the "it" factor when it comes to making videos. Their voices just work somehow.

I think the voice is way underrated for how interesting a video is to watch. I can hear Marbozir's voice in my head. MadDjinn seemed like MadMumber to me.

However these days if I watch any Civ it's MP games on Twitch from Filthyrobot, Babayetu, Yoruus, Arvius and other NoQuitters steam group members. It doesn't matter that MP is completely different. I watch because it's more action packed and unpredictable and the streamers, who are often all on teamspeak together, are fun and make it an enjoyable experience.

Yeah when i talk about twitch it's about these kind of games. They are the best.

And it's a lot possible to run a vid while making other stuff ya know...like a movie or something.

For those interested here is the direct link for all games available atm(also include sp).

Top Bottom