Steph strikes again: Ancient units conversion collection

tjedge1 said:
I'm eagerly awaaiting anything new, so I can have more variety to choose from for units in my mod. Some are still questionable. :coffee:

Just curious -- I've d/l-ed something like 600 units. What are you short??

Steph said:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61298

here was the first thread by Feanor. As you can see, he inlcuded Slitherine software in the credits, that's why I thougt they were OK and did not ask again.
I did not include clearly the name of the company in my credits, but put alink instead

hehehe.... well i did ask them and.... well here are the quotes from their Legion forum

Fëanor said:
Date Posted: 17/07/2003 8:11 PM

hello

im was planning to convert many of this game wonderfull units and other graphics to be compatible to Sid Meier's Civilization 3 , who should i ask permission to?

thanks

IanMcNeil said:
Date Posted: 18/07/2003 12:01 AM

Unfortunately we can't officially give you permission to distribute our graphics, even in a modified format.

Fëanor said:
Date Posted: 18/07/2003 2:05 AM

can either strategy first or paradox entratainment do that?

IanMcNeil said:
Date Posted: 18/07/2003 8:45 AM

No, we own all the copyrights to Legion.

if you look at my posted units you can see that i asked permission 5 days AFTER posting the units , not smart huh... but hey im not smart :crazyeye:.
what happened next is that i encoutered difficoulties in converting the units and asked Steph if he could create a modified ver of his SSB, but he was very busy , and i was lazy and disencouraged by IanMcNeil denial of permission so i let the whole thing die :(

im happy to see all is well now and with slitherine and paradox blessings , im looking forward to see spartan and troy units too :) maybe i'll even re-install Civ 3! ;)

-Fëanor

All it needs Steph is an Assyrian Chariot, as this was the first effective chariot used and eventually the fall of Syyria.

Don't know if there's an Assyrian chariot available for Steph to convert. Anyhow, riptide is working on a model of the chariot for BeBro to turn into a unit (see here).

ozymandias said:
Just curious -- I've d/l-ed something like 600 units. What are you short??
Not short, just more variety to weed at older and bad graphix for units. Newer and better to replace the old. Although I'm missing many fantasy units, that isn't what is being made in this thread so I won't go there.

You are lucky i have to travel a lot for my job lately... I took the latptop with me, and used the time alone at the hotel during the evening to finish converting the units. Remaining units are done, I just need to test them in game.
I have compared the size of chariots with Bebro´s, the horses and carriage are bigger, but the guy are same size, so if I reduce thm, they´ll be smaller.
Thus, I will release a normal size version first, and then a 10% smaller one later
Expect a big release tomorrow

:eek: :bounce: :drool: :rockon: :love: [party] :thanx: :band: :banana: :crazyeye:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might be crazy, but I don't see an ini file for the Assyrian Archer.

If I recall correctly, there aren't any ini files with these units. I had to make my own.

(There, did I act grown up this time? :D)

Chariots of War and Legion have several death animation, and several attacks. So I didn't make any ini. This way, you can just select which animation you prefer, as I include all of them in the zips

New units uploaded:
- Apiru Skirmisher
- Giborim Auxilia
- Hittites Meshedi Spearman
- Khepetj Auxilia
- Massarti Spearman
- Militia Spearman
- Nubian Medjay skirmisher
- Saballum Quallatum Auxilia
- Sea people warband
- Sheridan Swordman

Steph,
outstanding units...
But could anyone explain some about some of these.
Like Giborim, Sheridan, Khepej, Sabballum and such.
Probably I'm not so much into these ancient tribes, but would be very happy to see for what nations I could add these as flavours...
Thanks

Cemo

cemo1956 said:
I'm not so much into these ancient tribes, but would be very happy to see for what nations I could add these as flavours...
Thanks

Cemo

The Sheridan (or Sherden, or Shardana, whatever) swordsmen can be used by the Sea Peoples, and the Egyptians (as mercenaries) and the Libyans. They were one of the tribes of Sea Peoples to stir up trouble in the Middle East in the 14th BC. Their helmets were depicted with horns by the Egyptians. Some claim they originated on the Ionian coast.

The Sea Peoples Warband can be used by the Sea Peoples as the Danuna tribe, the Mycenae, and the Philistines. Their helmets have the characteristic odd-looking feathers. They are thought to have originated in, Eastern Cilicia, Mycenae, or Canaan. Who knows?

:goodjob:

Great Work Steph! These are pretty cool units. Still looking for those chariots and cart. I'll wait patiently though.

New units uploaded
- Gish battle cart
- Mariannu archer chariot
- Medianite camels
- Ne'arin archer chariot
- Perthale horse archer
- Scythian horse archer
- Persian heavy chariot (new version, with correct centering)
- Gish Gir battle cart or Celtic chariot

All the units are original scale. I may reduce them by 10% in some time, to propose two version.

Warning : due to the size of chariot, I suggest checking the "Range animation" flag for them, or they move close to the ennemy during battle, and overlap

Superb so far. I'll keep my eyes open for the resized versions. Finally a great selection of chariots. Your a life saver for converting these Steph. And thanks to Ian and everyone else for approving of it.

Top Bottom