Worst Starts Thread

IKR, I got totally boxed in super fast, this is game over:

And to fail even greater, I forgot to work my scientist slots for a treb bulb, I have lost.

Actually if could reload this should be fun start... riverside horses (I know, I know, you don't know where are horses when start game...) and gems, many many forests (8 HA from chops for sure).. Chop/build HA (with 2x gems can get fast) and raze them all (or maybe not.. who knows..).. :D

Yea I'll reload it and try again. I beelined writing and hello, forgot to fill my scientist slots for many turns.

I can HA rush 2 civs, and ele treb the rest of the continent.

Meh, could conquer it all with just HAs anyway, its a high seas cold map, tiny continent with 5 civs :D

So normally I would have rerolled this start because only a single food resource, but I decided to play it:

Good? Mediocre? Bad?

Picture and start file. I think they match :confused:. Rainforest, immortal.

Gan_Imm_Lar_Rai_Epi_Anc_4000-BC_Tem_Med_Dec-24-2014_09-19-27_76_17.jpg

View attachment Gan_Imm_Lar_Rai_Epi_Anc_4000-BC_Tem_Med_Dec-24-2014_09-19-27_76_17.CivBeyondSwordSave

Picture and start file. I think they match :confused:. Rainforest, immortal.

I had one of those yesterday - same map . It was actually worse. I regretted not taking a pic. At least you have 3 clams and and silver. Mine had 1 clam and absolutely nothing else...no hills on the mainland, just flatness.

I had one of those yesterday - same map . It was actually worse. I regretted not taking a pic. At least you have 3 clams and and silver. Mine had 1 clam and absolutely nothing else...no hills on the mainland, just flatness.

But I think the lake is too small to be able to build Galleys, right? So he could never leave the island.

But I think the lake is too small to be able to build Galleys, right? So he could never leave the island.

hmm..I thought 9 tiles was the lake limit, but it actually shows those tiles as 1 food. So he should be able to build LH and galleys. Maybe it is unique to the map script..not sure. It'd be interesting to find out.

You could build GLH and settle a city every 3 tiles around the body of water. Ofc, still would suck for HOF.

Funny thing is this start actually met my criteria for mapfinder to take the screenie and save the file. It was kept because of 1 commerce and at least 2 food. Unfortunately, mapfinder doesn't realize I'd like them all on the same land mass. :rolleyes:

How crap, no gems or gold:

Spoiler :

But OMG REX'd.

Mansa Musa DENIED!. I missed the Oracle and late libraries due to settler spam and worker techs first, but recovery should be easy with Cre libs and Ziggurats.

hmm..I thought 9 tiles was the lake limit, but it actually shows those tiles as 1 food. So he should be able to build LH and galleys. Maybe it is unique to the map script..not sure. It'd be interesting to find out.

You could build GLH and settle a city every 3 tiles around the body of water. Ofc, still would suck for HOF.

The 9 tiles threshold is to define the highest size of a lake.
There is another threshold for building warfare navy and its related buildings.
Albeit being speculation, it was implemented to give the AI a break.
Indeed, anyone who has played a map where one AI coastal city was entirely blocked by ice would recognize the hilarious situation of dumping huge amount of :hammers: into an useless navy. For too small water bodies, which are 20 tiles and less, both the human player and the AI can't build war navy. The fishing boat is an exception.

There is a save someone posted that was unbeatable, at 4000BC... but he had already settled in place. He was in the middle of a ~3x3 island, and by settling in the middle there was no coastal access and no place to put a second city. OCC was not selected either, so it was a OCC without the upside and no ability to go on an offensive war or find people to trade with. Completely unbeatable.

LOL. Was there at least another landmass that could be paratrooped to (I think you can paratroop from a fort so the range should be quite good)? If yes it would be an interesting map to play on ~chieftain where it might possibly be winnable.

Ok, can anyone tell what is bad about this start?

Spoiler :
I am Cyrus. Isolated Cyrus is unhappy Cyrus :(

Isolated starts can be pretty horrible. I have played isolated starts many times and I don't ever recall winning one.

Isolated start, with only a single happiness resource :(

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you settle more cities closer to the capital? 3S and 3E1N look like good spots that could help Pasargadaeas cottages. 3W3N (or 3W2N) has a seafood and can borrow the capitals corn, and 3W2S has double fish.

Isolated starts are fun until things start looking grim.

Health situation at least is better than average. Some of the cities could grow pretty big quite early. All that tundra and ice doesn't look so fun though, and may be what decides the game.

There is still time to settle some coastal cities there. I'm also not sure of all the city placement/settling order, but it is also something I often spend a lot of time for thinking, and won't comment on hastily. It always pains me to see a city not on coast, while having workable water there.

I don't see why Cyrus is bad in isolation. Sure, you can't Immortal-rush the AI, but charismatic is a good trait in isolation. Wine is also a decent happy resource (unlike those pesky calendar resources). That's an easy 8:) giving you a lot of room for early growth.

Three 6-yield tiles in capitals BFC is also very strong. When you also got Pasargadae that can support 9 riverside cottages with a +7:food: surplus things look good. Not having horses or copper close can be rough with all that tundra so getting the wall was a nice grab. But this certainly doesn't look like a bad start. The island looks like a pretty average isolation start.

And isolation is better than the 2140BC war I just suffered with Shaka :\

But having both Cha and Imp and being isolated is sad face. I want to Immortal stompage the AI and get loads of GGs and promotions.

Isolated starts are fun with stuff like Fin, Org, Phi, but mot with Cha / Imp.

Top Bottom