Epic speed in Civ 4 is still too quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Marathon speed remove the problem of building a large army and then having it go obsolete? It's kind of like that on Epic.

On marathon it will take much longer for your army to become obsolete. I mostly play on marathon and find that the units are useful for quite a long time, long enough at any rate to satisfy me. You can pretty well move your stack anywhere on the map without it being obsolete on arrival. I mostly play on large maps, although I am currently trying out huge ones.

Why would anyone be following a 13 post thread that has been inactive for six years?

I did not think someone would be following it, I thought someone might have searched it at some point once, so now people from now on who search things randomly will have more information.

Wow, return of the living thread, anyone? Ha, ha sometimes I crack myself up.

Anyway, I might as well weigh seeing as how its been revived anyway.

I think epic is perfectly fine, and that it provides the best balance between fairness to the a.i and a slow pace that allows you to implement each technology.

What I mean is, if the game is any slower i.e Marathon, the a.i tends not to be able to compete because it cannot recover quick enough if you surprise it with a stack of doom, also epic has just enough time for you to implement new technologies, BUT, also forces you to try and get military techs earlier if you truly want advantage.

I think that second point in particular is important, because its quite realistic. Technological advances always get quickly negated during war, so you need to plan ahead, get your advantage, maximize its value and be back in time for tea!!! If the game was slower you would just have too much spare time, and thus too much room to correct bad mistakes or planning without penalty.

Plus, on epic wars still cost you, in terms of gold and beakers. You really need short sharp wars of aggression that get you your advantages such as resources or space and quickly get back to the business of civilization growth, otherwise you will lag behind.

So overall epic is perfect IMO.

Someone was digging up old threads? I play on Epic but I also created a game speed which increased Reach by x1000 and made each turn elapse 1 months time. It takes hours (Of Your day) to get through some techs. It's amazingly long, longer than I thought. Now I need to get a No Production action for the city screen.

Someone was digging up old threads? I play on Epic but I also created a game speed which increased Reach by x1000 and made each turn elapse 1 months time. It takes hours (Of Your day) to get through some techs. It's amazingly long, longer than I thought. Now I need to get a No Production action for the city screen.

How can this be enjpyable?

How can this be enjpyable?

Hello, Salty...

Well, to each his own... What I enjoy I don't necessarily expect you to enjoy...

And as one of those who actually enjoy slow speeds, I have made my very own mod to be able to do just that. See below in my signature for reference...

I do on occasion play on Normal speed as well. But then I wouldn't play bigger maps than Standard...as a rule.

My slow games can last for over a month each, while my quick games of diversion can last as few as a couple of hours. I mostly play slow, though.

Merry Christmas

Kjotleik of Norway:)

Or alter the requirements for building culture/money/research.

Note to self: Comment on this thread regarding the awesomeness that is Marathon... sometime in mid-2018. :lol:

A double necroed thread! Such an amazing rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom