Looking for an all civ Earth map

Zahar

Chieftain
I believe an all civ Earth map would be considered a "mod" but it feels like it could fall under several forums there... sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Anyways, one of my favorite ways to play Civ4 is with the 18 Civ Earth scenario that comes with the game.

I really want to play a version with all civs, and if there was a bigger map that would be great too since places like Europe get really crowded. It's very hard to find something like this. Most threads about such a thing are long discussions about what's possible or what's not possible.

I'm wondering if any progress has been made on a solid Earth map that lets you play as any civ or leader. I wouldn't even be against adding more custom civs if they were balanced and designed like the originals.

I did find something like this a year or two ago, but when I loaded it the map was completely black, apparently it didn't play nice with BUG mod.

Thanks guys... been looking for something like this for years and just haven't really found it yet.

Their are many Earth maps in the download section of civfanatics. Some with 45+ civs and "Giant" sizes there are in fact many custom sizes that are often defined by tile dimensions. You'll need the modified DLL file which allows more than 18 civs and that can be found in the downloads section too. I'll find some and post links here.

48 Civ Giant Map (full MOD): http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=18282
50 Civ DLL: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=22223

Just be warned on these "Giant" maps with so many civs, your mid-late game turns will be extremely long. Civ4 only can utilize 1 core and even the most powerful video cards can't compensate for that. I have a Xeon Quad Core processor with 8Gig RAM and even the stock "Huge" maps with 18 civs start to get to 20 second turn wait times. Granted that's not all that impressive nowadays but BTS was released in 2007 in which such stats were pretty impressive. Just a heads up.

I'll try to find some more after breakfast.

Seems like you'd hit trouble with civs that existed in the same place. Sumeria and Babylon, Byzantium and Turkey, Celts and England/France, HRE and Germany?

That looks interesting, but the download link doesn't work...

Edit: Tried this one : http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7278

And it crashes when I go to load it.

If someone could suggest a mod like this that actually works I'd really appreciate it.
Damn. Sorry, I didn't test the link out. I should do that next time before posting.

EDIT: I've done some looking and if you download/install the 50Civ DLL, you might be able to add all leaders in the worldbuilder save file. According to the "World Builder Manual", you can manually manipulate the world builder save file. One of the things you can add is the leader. You just need to define the team / leader and define the start location. I would use copy/paste of already existing leaders in the map and just alter the LeaderType, StartingX, and StartingY. It should handle all the starting techs etc for your current difficulty level. In fact, I'm going to try this tonight.

You can also download a giant map and do this same manipulation.

Granted it's a lot of work, but if you don't need any other changes other than having Earth map with all civs in the game, you might be able to do this. The hardest part will be figuring out the correct "StartingX" and "StartingY" values.

I'm going to try this tonight so if you want to wait for me to experiment with this, I will post my results. If someone has already tried this, please feel free to chime in.
Spoiler :

1. Open the scenario "Earth 18" that comes with BTS and use all the options you want to have in game and start it.
  2. Open the world builder and save the world builder file.
  3. Locate the file in your file system and edit it (I like Notepad++).
  4. Now, you're going to need to add new "Teams" for each of the civs you will add to the game since each civ must belong to a "Team" and you don't want the AI to be on the same team as other AI!
  5. There is a set of data for each leader in the worldbuilder file called "BeginPlayer"
  6. You will need to copy one of the AI leaders' "BeginPlayer" as a beginning reference point
  7. For each leader,
  8. Paste the "BeginPlayer" dataset after the last "BeginPlayer" data set in the file​
  9. Change the "LeaderType" to be the next leader that isn't already in the map​
  10. Find out where on the grid this leader should be added. You can use one of the default leaders' X and Y location for reference​
  11. Change the "StartingX" and "StartingY" to indicate where on the map grid you want the leader to start​
Then save the file and go back to BTS > Custom Scenario and load the world builder file that you edited. Again, if you want to wait for an experiment, I will try tonight and post results.

Moderators: Should this be moved to the Creation/Customization forum?

If you want, you can also post a new thread in Creation and Customization, and post a link here.

Top Bottom