British 3.7 Inch Mountain Howitzer (10-31-07)

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
The Indian Army first requested a modern mountain gun in 1906, but financial constraints delayed production until 1915. It was first introduced in 1917, and used in action in that year in Mesopotamia and East Africa. It superseded the 2.75 inch Mountain Gun following World War I. It was used by Mountain Artillery Regiments of the Royal Artillery and the (British) Indian Army, and saw much service on the North West Frontier of India between the wars.

In World War II, it equipped units in the North African Campaign (Tunisia), the Italian Campaign and Burma Campaign, and it was also used in the Ruhr fighting in 1945 by units originally destined for Greece. A lightened version was used briefly by Airborne formations.

The gun was finally declared obsolete by the British Army in 1960, although it had not seen service since 1945.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.7_inch_Mountain_Howitzer

Spoiler :

I was about to ditch this in frustration but Vuldacon managed to salvage it, although even he admits that the palette wasn't easy to create for the unit. Anyway, thanks to Vuldacon here is the 3.7 Inch Mountain Howitzer. :)

Run/Fortify/Fidget/Attack/Death

NOTE: The GIF animation here is a little slower than the way the gun appears in game.

VERSION 1.2 IS NOW UPLOADED

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7504

Thank you for this nice unit Gary Childress and Vuldacon. :)

Great work there, guys :thumbsup:

Well made.

Thanks to both you and Vuldacon.

Suggestion for future cannons,
have the braces move twice only. First in the Fortify (assume firing position) and 2nd in victory. Or something similar. It looks as if the braces wiggle a little.

I noticed there were no large or small civilopedia images or a units_32.pcx image in the Download...I just made and sent Gary the small civilopedia image and Civ Specific units_32.pcx made from the Unit storyboard. I am sure he will render a nice image for the Large Civilopedia file. IF I try to make the large one from the smaller storyboard image, it would be pixelated or "Blocky" and not look Good.

I just sent Vuldacon the pcx file I generated for the civlopedia and units 32.

I woke up a little late this morning. :blush:

@Bjornlo: Arrggg. I forgot about the "world space" "object space" thing again. Fortunately there isn't much movement in the unit to detect it. I use "world space" to keep the paterns from moving correct? :confused:

Gary...I sent you Corrections for the Unit.
Civ3FlcEdit placed an additional Duplicate Frame at the start on all of your animations. I removed them.
I also adjusted the Flc speeds for all the animations so they match as close as possible to the Artillery Unit for sounds that you are using.
I adjusted the .ini to use Links to the Artillery Unit for the sounds and adjusted and added an Attack Sound that seems better IMO.
The .ini needed to have the same Name as the Mountain Gun Folder. It did not have the space between Mountain and Gun.
the Units_32.pcx, Large and Small Civilopedia Icons are complete.

I game tested all files...Looks Good and works well.

Hi Vuldacon, thanks. I'm uploading the corrected files now.

I changed the name of the unit at the last minute and missed a line in the INI file. :blush:

I'm taking down the old download and replacing it with Mountain Gun 1.2. :blush:

I just sent Vuldacon the pcx file I generated for the civlopedia and units 32.

I woke up a little late this morning. :blush:

@Bjornlo: Arrggg. I forgot about the "world space" "object space" thing again. Fortunately there isn't much movement in the unit to detect it. I use "world space" to keep the paterns from moving correct? :confused:

World space = colors remain fixed and the unit moves. So if the middle is blue and the unit moves to the left, the right side will suddenly be blue.
Object space = colors move with the unit.

Also, in at least one of your anims, the feet (braces) move makeing it slightly twitchy. Not a big deal. I am not trying to be negative, only looking to help.

Hi Bjornlo, I think the percevied movement may have something to do with being set on "world space" making it look as though the piece is moving when it is actually the texture that is moving and making it look shaky. Otherwise I'm not sure how it could be moving. I don't have the braces doing anything but spreading in the Bryce rendition.

as it dies the legs come together, or at least seem to.

Hi Bjornlo, I see what you are saying. The legs on the death animation are set up a little closer together than the attack and so they sort of come in a bit when the unit dies. I'll try to base the death animations off the attack animations in future units as it makes more sense the way the game operates. :blush:

Top Bottom