PH13: The Book and the Hammer

Both cities are on rivers, so that will help with late game production. Early game production will be helped by the iron and copper tiles. The gold tile will help the economy. On the surface they both look good.

I'd say settle yellow. If we manage to get another settler in that area, settle a city even further east and settle red dot 1W of its current location.

Okay, when I started out, I was only going to play until ABCs came due in 12 turns, thinking I’d whip the pyramids before that. We can also take OBs w/auggie, liz, gandhi, & surya, though I didn’t take any.

Our settler finished on my first turn, and I sent him NE to yellow dot for the iron where we had an axe already waiting. For some reason, a work boat was in the queue here. I sent it east to explore. I had Hamburg start on another settler, too, for the red dot (more on that later).

Here’s something that I really hope gets fixed in the patch whenever it does come out:

I mean, it’s barely near Indian lands! We got a couple messages like that over my set.

Essen was founded in 650 bc.

I started it on a monument as most of our cities were building. Buddhism came in the same turn to Munich, but I didn’t revolt to any state religion yet either. Only Gandhi is Buddhist, but he IS number one. I’d really like to see how the warmongers fall with religion before deciding for ourselves.

I took OB with Gandhi when he traveled over for a visit. We also couldn’t even whip the Pyramids until 2 turns were left on the thing ~ so I didn’t even bother doing that.

However, if you’ll notice in the top left corner, we’re at 10% sci and -1 gpt! We have another settler ready to go east to settle at the gold, but I don’t think we should bother just yet, unless we have to (ie, another settler approaches).

I started a Library in Berlin as we need them all over the empire to start running scientists as soon as possible! ABCs is now about 30 or so turns away, more likely at 100+ turns when we fall down to 0% sci!

I also took off a citizen at cologne from working the fish there to a mere grass hill. We are at the happy cap there for now. Stupidly, I built two cottages during my set. I was able to replace one with a farm and the other I pillaged, but those are two wasted set of worker turns we’ll never get back.

Where do we go from here? I think we need libraries pushed into every city that will be able to run even one scientist. That’s the only way we’re going to keep ourselves on a good economic footing for now. We’re going to need CoL really soon, I think. I’m not exactly sure what’s killing us economically, but the three far-flung ‘reach’ cities I’m sure ain’t helping :D

Here’s Germany, circa 450 bc:

We still need to revolt to Representation, too.

Roster
pholkhero >> just played
Quotey >> UP NOW
Kodii >> on deck
r_rolo
LKendter
mystyfly

Attachments

• PH13 BC-0450.CivBeyondSwordSave
    141.1 KB · Views: 99
I’m not exactly sure what’s killing us economically, but the three far-flung ‘reach’ cities I’m sure ain’t helping :D
6 cities pre-currency (IIRC) without cottages and you have to ask? :lol:

I am not sure if we even have trade routes between these cities. That would certainly help. Do we connect to any AI trade routes yet?

Is Frankfurt without a defender? It looks that way in the picture. I don't want to tempt the AI with a naked city.

Do we want Moai in Cologne? That would make that city a killer for production, and we can collect some water income.

ph said:
For some reason, a work boat was in the queue here.
I'm pretty sure I mentionned it. Yes it was for scouting. I had 1-2 turns where I wanted to grow before going on a settler spree. Besides with discount, trading and trade routs (we have lots of coastal cities) meeting more civs esp on other islands is great.

LKendter said:
Do we want Moai in Cologne? That would make that city a killer for production, and we can collect some water income.
Definitely think so.

Pholk, am I right there, we have a settler ready to settle another city east as soon as an AI settler approaches?

Anyway, good job on settling these cities, team! :goodjob:

We need to run those scientists (don't forget to switch to rep ;)). Research shouldn't be a problem. Probabely go ABC > Currency > CoL?
Reason is, once the cities are connected and our coastal cities get their trade routes (don't forget to OB ;)) it'll be better than courts in shortterm. Our cities are busy building libraries anyway.

you may be right about frankfurt; i can't say for certain, tbh.

@ mysty ~ well, as that's what I used it for, it's good to see our ESP is working :D :goodjob: and we do have the settler heading east, not there yet. I'm still convinced we settle red dot where it is for teh copper. I prioritize that over the horses. Besides, we could build a filler city btwn red dot and Hamburg for the horses.

Will be able to play tommorow. Any discussion, start now, though I just see it as a grow the cities and perhaps get declared on set. :rolleyes:

revolt, libraries, maybe even run a citizen or two to get ABCs if we're absolutely desperate.

We really need to get a proper SE running.... I wonder if gunning for CoL ( for Caste ) will not be better than Currency .... how many beakers are we making per turn?

We really need to get a proper SE running.... I wonder if gunning for CoL ( for Caste ) will not be better than Currency .... how many beakers are we making per turn?
I vote currency first. If we are at 10% our expansion is over until such time we can improve income (trade routes).

I vote CoL because Caste and courthouses will give us better returns than trade routes and markets, especially since cottages are verboten.

I vote CoL because Caste and courthouses will give us better returns than trade routes and markets, especially since cottages are verboten.

Long-term I agree courts are better. However, we get the trade routes ASAP. We need to wait a long time for the courts to be built.

LKendter said:
Long-term I agree courts are better. However, we get the trade routes ASAP. We need to wait a long time for the courts to be built.
My words. We're desperately needing improvements/defense units/libraries. We don't have the production capacities for courts yet. Currency definitely not for markets.

We can delay CoL (and CS) and focus on growth (and production) now. Running up to 2 specs should be enought.

I think i agree on currency as well. the immediacy of trade routes gets my vote. even w/Caste from CoL, we've not got teh food surplus to really take advantage of it yet, so it's not a pressing need.

and still think libraries all around ASAP is the order of the day, and only found when necessary ~ we might as well not even "sentry" him so that we can make sure every turn.

and, for my info, quotey's got it ~

In hindsight, I maybe should have switched to Currency....

Turn 0 (97)

I don't like the thought of libs before Granaries. Switch a few. Granaries are very important, especially assuming that we'll be whipping a fair bit.

Turn 2 (99)

Turn 7 (104)

Look, if anyone asks you to cancel deals with Gandhi, do it. He refuses to talk for a while but you don't even get a diplo demerit. We also didn't get a diplo positive with Toku....

Turn 13 (110)

Revolt to Rep. A library completed.

Turn 17 (114)

A Great Engineer comes in. Decide to skip a turn so we can look at tech trades too.

Turn 18 (115)

Alpha finishes, Math is a placeholder.

TECHS

Get Math from Gandhi (will talk to us), Poly from someone, then research Currency > Aesthetics > Lit if we want GL, or Currency > COL > sumthin if we don't.

ENGINEER

He can bulb Metal Casting. No point. We could bulb Machinery if we wanted, not sure if there is a point in that either.

Attachments

• PH13 AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    161.3 KB · Views: 71
Why did you swith so late?

Gift Myst to toku. Anything helps :D

GE: some options: tech MC, bulb Machinery: not really necessary as we won't be able to use maces.
or we go lit and rush the GLib in GPFarm. My favourite. GPFarm can be hammerpoor. Also this route includes pretty early NE.

btw kodii is up :goodjob:

GE: some options: tech MC, bulb Machinery: not really necessary as we won't be able to use maces.
Or we go lit and rush the GLib in GPFarm. My favourite. GPFarm can be hammerpoor. Also this route includes pretty early NE.

I agree with the Great Library plan. It syncs up perfectly with this variant.
It is time to pick our GP farm. I can't recall enough of the game to comment at this point.

good turns Quotey. We have a couple good food heavy sites in the north of our empire, iirc, the pigs/rice and the corn/bananas, that could serve as a GPF (though every city will probably be running scientists and later engineers).

I like using the GE on the TGLibrary as well. Too synergistic to fore go.

It also seems like we don't have a monopoly on ABCs right now as Surya appears to have it, then perhaps we should trade it for anything we can get?

Roster
pholkhero
Quotey >> just played
Kodii >> UP NOW
r_rolo >> on deck
LKendter
mystyfly

Top Bottom