What's the largest city you grew?

I actually had a city size 47 in one game. I think it was with Gandhi and a low number of cities. It grew to size 50+ a few turns after I won.

Size 38 as Aztecs(floating Gardens + pre latest patch tradition = 65% growth near start of game)

With the current 217 patch, a HEAVY grass start, and a massive Tall focus (Full Tradition, exploiting maritime CS as much as possible, pushed all growth sciences first) my American capital is size 55 on turn 373.
My other cities are: 40, 35, 33, 33

Imagine if I had the Aztecs or Siam... The aztecs especially since their building modifies food instead of growth.

I think the highest I hit before this was size 30 in the capital.

38 as moscow on Earth map. Started on the great plains with a food lux resource and 2 wheats nearby, add a granary and hospital and you've got yourself a scientist generator

i got mine up to 60 as an OOC. took a loooong time though. and i reduced that muber by half with a single nuke cause i was bored.

47 citizens in Aztec Capitol (those water gardens or whatever you call them are just plain awesome... combined with some nice terrain - a winner...
Played that game without city states btw, which makes it even stranger how I got to that number... Never came close to repeating it with other civs

japans capital 42 population playing online quick duel, i was however nuked by a sub i think it went down to 17 pop or something in one turn it was really bad

i still have the save file and can load that match i think ;)

Philly made it to 33 by mid 1900's with two wheats, on flood plains/river (5-7) tiles. Also had 6-7 tiles of forest improved with lumbermills and 3 desert hills with mines. It was producing almost 100 production per turn.

My record was a 44 OCC Siam city, in a completely meh spot (lots of jungles, I was playing an Earth map, and started roughly where Siam should be), but it was still growing at a steady pace when I got my cultural win (or diplo, don't remember), one citizen every 8 turns, or something like that; from turn one, I put the governor on "focus on growth" mode, and I stilled grabed most wonders (I was playing on a low level). This was before any patch.
And the 60 of Mathalamus is impressive, I don't have trouble believing you when you say that it took you a looooooooong time.

these cities makes my city of athens-size 32 that i once grew, seem miniscule.

Largest? 24, though I had won and quit at that point and the city was about 15 turns away from being size 25.

Question: Are large cities (20+) really worth it? That's a lot of unhappiness you're getting unless you take the Tradition/Piety Social Policies...

26 without maritime city states. Was a sweet thing to have a couple of cities like this with the complete freedom and rationalism policies. Had 6 cities and science was +1400 a turn on epic speed. Post-patch.

I know mods don't really count, and NiGHTS especially because it has a different growth mechanic, but I've been into the 70's. The average city size is usually around 30-35.

You guys should state difficulty level you're playing on with the size numbers. As Seikninkuru says, how do you handle happiness? This is less of a problem on easier difficulty levels, of course.

You guys should state difficulty level you're playing on with the size numbers. As Seikninkuru says, how do you handle happiness? This is less of a problem on easier difficulty levels, of course.

NiGHTS is kind of different in that you gain Happiness from your population and you gain Unhappiness from your Military units and the level of your Government. They've been renamed Stability and Unrest.

Top Bottom