Checking out all Civs

The problem I see in Siam is that you can really see the flaws of a Vanilla civilisation in a litteraly Brave New World;

- they don't get any bonuses for half the CS, namely Militaristic, Faith & Mercantile.

- Having growth bonuses with allying a maritime CS

Elephants are beastly though.

And I don't know if it was changed or not, but you could use to get legalism from Tradition to get 4 free universities :)

Are you saying that the growth bonuses are a negative for the Maritime CS? I'd say that those are one of the best CS along with the Cultural ones, especially for Siam since they get additional food. That food can then turn into more science, production, gold, etc.

When Gods & Kings came out, they got a slight update in that they now get extra Faith from Religious City-States, in addition to the Cultural and Maritime CS. They've never gotten any benefits from Militaristic CS and they didn't get anything from Mercantile CS; that would probably make them crazy overpowered!

And yes, if you build Monuments, Libraries, and Amphitheaters, Legalism will give you a free Wat!

Are you saying that the growth bonuses are a negative for the Maritime CS? I'd say that those are one of the best CS along with the Cultural ones, especially for Siam since they get additional food. That food can then turn into more science, production, gold, etc.
Sorry I've forgotten half of the sentence, I edited. Basically I wanted to say that with the introduciton of the food caravan (and food from religion to some extend) food bonuses from CS are not as crucial as they were on vanilla imho.
Buffed cultural are really important now that culture is harder to get by though.

rom Religious City-States, in addition to the Cultural and Maritime CS. They've never gotten any benefits from Militaristic CS and they didn't get anything from Mercantile CS; that would probably make them crazy overpowered!
I didn't know they get extra of religious states!
Too bad religous CS are so underpowered, just usefull the first time to see them :(

And yes, if you build Monuments, Libraries, and Amphitheaters, Legalism will give you a free Wat!
Are you sure it is still working?

Sorry I've forgotten half of the sentence, I edited. Basically I wanted to say that with the introduciton of the food caravan (and food from religion to some extend) food bonuses from CS are not as crucial as they were on vanilla imho.

Buffed cultural are really important now that culture is harder to get by though.

I didn't know they get extra of religious states!

Too bad religous CS are so underpowered, just usefull the first time to see them :(

Are you sure it is still working?

Ah gotcha! Yeah Caravans and Cargo Ships are now great for food; the more food the merrier, though! :) Maritime bonuses are empire-wide once allied I believe, so that's always a plus.

Religious City-States aren't anything too exciting aside from the initial boost, but they can definitely help if there's a race to Religion and Siam can really benefit from it. It's nothing special, but hey, I'll take it!

And I haven't tested the Wat thing in awhile, but I thought I saw a post since BNW came out that it was still working. I'll test it out tomorrow and report back! Side note: I still don't understand why they didn't change them to give Faith when G&K came out - Wats are temples after all!

Just tested out and you actually still get free wat with legalism. Pretty neat :D

Hm. Had I only known about that (or thought about it). I think I didn't think through my strategi and just went with it as it played out. I thought I was going Tradition (and did), but seem to have built an empire fit for Liberty - but at least focused on Lux for new settlements. Good to see there is some debate here at least :) However, I've gotta take a week's vacation now. Will be back with updates next week.

Right. Short update and major problem with my Siam game. I've played until the Atomic era, and have recently eliminated the Greeks and Carthage on my continent. I'm Allied to all CS apart from two, and have staved off a French invasion, now turned to uneasy peace. Korea and Persia are still ahead in Science, so I decided to invade Persia. Would have been possible to finish them off in some turns' time, after which I would have invaded Korea (who have built Apollo Program long before I'm even at that scientific level).

I've got a whole bunch of cities and quite a lot of units. Would have been able to Dominate in 50 turns or so. HOWEVER, just as with one previous game (where I couldn't get an end save), none of my Siam saves will now load - possibly due to some graphic issue. No matter what I do, I can't get into that game again. So I have no screenshots nor have I been able to finish the game. I'm sure I would have won by Domination though - getting quite comfortable on Emperor now.

Siam didn't really do it for me - it's not my style - but I acknowledge how good they CAN be, with Wat, Naresuan Elephants and a lot of CS allies. Also, I should have chosen Liberty not Tradition, with my 9 cities and eventual total Continent monopoly, thus 8 puppet cities. I'm not gonna play a whole Siam game again to finish it off, so I'll start anew with a Random Civ. I will say that again Persia were rather good, while Greeks, Carthage, and partly France were easy to take down. Korea, not met in previous games, seemed to be a massively competitive Science Civ.

Korea can be a monster if left unchecked. Their science bonuses are passive enough that even the AI can use them with great success. I'm surprised you found Greece to be a pushover. Whenever I encounter Alex, I know the game is going to be more interesting. I've only seen him fail twice, once was by my hand.

I've seen people think Carthage and Greece are quite strong competition, but every time I've had them as neighbours, I've always steamrolled over them eventually. My current game gave me the Incas. Already increadibly good with their Terraces. Maybe I got a good start as well, but I'm quite ahead. Took Addis Abeba from the Ethiopians quite early on, and are controlling the continent, shared with the Netherlands and the Maya. Haven't gone to sea yet :)

I've seen people think Carthage and Greece are quite strong competition, but every time I've had them as neighbours, I've always steamrolled over them eventually. My current game gave me the Incas. Already increadibly good with their Terraces. Maybe I got a good start as well, but I'm quite ahead. Took Addis Abeba from the Ethiopians quite early on, and are controlling the continent, shared with the Netherlands and the Maya. Haven't gone to sea yet :)

Greece is like any other Civ if he spawns next to you and you're willing to just go to war. He becomes a problem if he is unchecked though.

So my Inca game was as easy as I initially thought. While I took out and puppeted Rotterdam, I found several large islands with CS, and a snaky Continent with Austria and Ottomans. The latter spawned cities like crazy throughout the game, while the former had only four. The Maya on their side spawned Missionaries and allied with many nearby CS.

The Netherlands sued for peace and gave me Groningen and Utrecht, two small cities which I Razed, and as I waited for the Peace Treaty to end so I could take out Amsterdam, both Austria and Maya DOW me. Maya were close enough to steamroll over rather quickly after eliminating the Dutch, and thus I became friends with their erstwhile allied CS and monopolized the continent. I got most of the Wonders - if not all - and cruised along. The Ottomans stayed neutral, and Austria gave me Graz without almost any combat taking place between our Civs.

A lengthy ocean crossing later and I had my whole army in the lands of two allied CS next to the Austrians. Conveniently, Vienna lay quite near Istanbul, so after smashing the Austrians (leaving one city in the Peace Treaty), I took Istanbul in two-three turns, sealing Domination Vic.

I went actually for Honor, Piety and Tradition before starting Autocracy, so some of my Units had been around since the start. I still had my first Warrior, although it hadn't seen much combat until Industrial times as Lancer with Blitz :) But I have to say the Incas seemed very strong. Ottomans played badly AI-wise, but were geographically strong, Austria and Netherlands were easy pickings, and Maya, while annoyingly spamming Missionaries, were also weak Militarily. Those Terraces next to a couple of Mountains - heavy! For some reason, I still couldn't get screenshots via F12. I don't get why it works sometimes, but not in all games :/

Now I got Russia - on a very small continent, shared with two CS - and none other! Gonna be interesting.

Right. So I got the screenshots up and running again (with the Z shortcut, rather than F12), so I got shots for the Russian game. I didn't send out ships to check the surroundings, and it seemed I wasn't alone after all. A bordering small continent had both Austria and Germany, and I found this out the hard way, as suddenly Salzburg was on my doorstep and I only still had Moscow. The Austrians had been left without expansion possibilities by highly expanding Germans. Luckily I had a few units and planned a steamroll - which occurred fairly soon and easily. Thereafter I built the Terracotta Army and smashed the Germans, although having some Unhappiness/Wealth issues along the way. I founded a Religion and took Tithe/Pagodas to alleviate this. Taking time to regroup, consolidate my conquests, spread my Religion, and build my four cities, I beelined for Astronomy. Screenshots after taking all German and Austrian lands (three German cities were razed by then):

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

When the exploration started I found Spain on yet another small continent, but quite advanced and with a number of Wonders, and Japan and Brazil sharing the last small continent, and the latter having built quite a few good Wonders. Japan had conquered the CS Ormus, and they all were more or less on par with me Scientifically - in fact one step in front with Spain and Brazil. However, I was undaunted and though Brazil should fall first as they were the Missionary types, and I reshifted my entire army to my eastern flank and out to sea. I built the Great Wall not so much for my own sake, but to keep others from having this highly potent defense system. Also, it helped against their reconquest efforts.

Rio, Salvador and Sao Paulo fell in short order and were puppeted and converted for cash. After researching Artillery, I DOW'ed Japan, Liberating Ormus and threatening Kyoto. Oda sued for Peace, giving me Satsumi and Tokyo, which was handy. After the mandatory 10 Turns, I DOW'ed again and smashed him utterly.

Some conversions and unit healings later and I was ready for the last stretch. I had one Gatling Gun and one Rifleman with Lightning Strike Promotions, which came in handy against a good Spanish defense with a lot of units. However, my best offense was a new town on their edge and two settled GGs, putting Madrid within striking distance. I had to pick off quite a number of Riflemen and Conquistadors first, but it was really quite easy. Domination Victory by 1800:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The most idiotic AI geopolitical decision was provided by Spain to not have any Coastal cities apart from to an inland sea! Stepping in the salad, or pooing on the ankle, as the sayings go here in Norway :) The small continents made stepwise conquering rather handy in this game, and Russia was a very good Production Civ, even though I only had ONE horse and ONE Iron (which I had to trade for) on my initial continent.

Now I've received the Ottomans - the Civ I thought was the worst before starting this experiment. I'm gonna try to play to their strengths, but also use my honed geopolitical skills on Emperor games, having played through 14 Civs of a total 43 (BNW ). This is the early- to midgame Ottoman game screenshots:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Sweden and numerous CS are on the east side on three rather isolated small landmasses, while I'm sharing a larger continent with Egypt (easily curtailed to ONE city by my own and neighbourly expansions), Portugal (quite handily kept at bay and having to leak Workers to my on-and-off-DOW), and the Shoshone (which seem to be my main comptetitor, but bufferzoned to stay Neutral towards me). The last Civ seem to be building a number of Wonders, and there aren't that many Barbs to Prize Triremes off. Haven't decided on a Grand Plan yet, to quote General Melchett in Blackadder Four :) I've aimed for a number of Lux cities and cutting off Egypt and Portugal on one side and getting a bridgehead on the Sweden landmass with Konya. Also, I've monopolized the Iron (cf. screenshots) more or less against those three, and can probably steamroll over them if I so wish.

To recap the project a third of the way with a list of the Civs played thus far, and how the games were won:

Sweden (Diplomatic)
America (Domination)
India (Cultural)
Zulu (Domination)
Greek (Diplomatic)
Byzantium (Diplomatic - Cultural within reach some turns later)
Indonesia (Diplomatic)
Maya (Diplomatic)
Shoshone (Domination)
Huns (Domination - quickest one so far)
Babylon (Scientific - sorry, no description, but was ahead in everything. Fountain early on helped)
Siam (Domination - wasn't fully finished due to issues with save, but was cruising in to victory at that point)
Inca (Domination)
Russia (Domination)

It is unfortunate that Diplo and Domino are so much easier than Science/Cultural Victory really. Those I most liked to play (I think) are until now Babylon and Maya. But they're all fun in their way, I guess.

Yo. Good read!

I find science to be the esiest win myself, always plan B when culture or domination goes wrong. Diplo is easy if you go for it early but hard otherwise..

Did almost the same thing a while ago, but standard size and diffrent maps.

Ethiopia, Korea, Japan and Venice was the civs that I found to be most boring.

I like Japan nowdays since I go for honor though! :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Haven't been given any of those yet, but eventually I'll get around to them :) Gonna be interesting to see if I feel the same (or perhaps Norwegians and Swedes are THAT different after all). Did you play on Emperor or a different setting? The thing is that Diplo and Domination are easier victories to fulfill prior to Atomic era, while Science Vic must necessarily be executed towards the end of the Tech Tree - thus much later (in real time).

Haven't been given any of those yet, but eventually I'll get around to them :) Gonna be interesting to see if I feel the same (or perhaps Norwegians and Swedes are THAT different after all). Did you play on Emperor or a different setting? The thing is that Diplo and Domination are easier victories to fulfill prior to Atomic era, while Science Vic must necessarily be executed towards the end of the Tech Tree - thus much later (in real time).

All emperor.

As for Etiophia and Korea is my main issue their colors. I can't stand to look at them for all those hours. Korea is boring for real, I don't fancy science civs. But Ethiopia is kinda neat. One of the best UB:s in the game! :)

Pocatello is deadly if you get a great start with resources. Casimir is pretty fun to play with so many social policies.

Keep it up.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Polish game :) Anywho, the Ottomans are already history (yep, punning along), and the game was over even earlier than the Hunnic one - by 1670 CE in fact. Btw, religiousness in real life should end here. No more BC/AD in Civ. They take care to stay neutral or secular in other aspects, and should do so also in chronology.

Anyways, as I thought, Portugal was easy to destroy. However, just as I did that, the Shoshone and Egypt assaulted me simultaneously. I lost a couple of units and had to leave Braga behind to Pocatello, but retook it the next turn and razed it. After a couple of healing turns for both sides (Egypt didn't really have any forces to worry about - those that were around were picked off by my Trebuchet and two Longswordsmen near Edirne/Ankara), I went for Thebes, while Pocatello - that moron - started invading my lands with three Musketmen, one Pathfinder, two Pikemen and two Crossbowmen, not towards Lisbon or Edirne, but straight for Istanbul (or possibly Bursa), without a care in his world for MY GREAT WALL. Needless to say he was picked off in a few turns by the city of Lisbon and a resident Crossbowman, combined with a Janissary coming from my Cap (cf. screenshots below for geographical references).

I took Thebes, thus eliminating the Egyptians, and Pocatello sued for peace as his invasion was decimated, giving me Te-Moak (right on the edge of the screenshot below) as a cherry on the top. Not particularly thought through. I could just wait a bit, while healing up and upgrading to Janissaries and Cannons, and then assault Moson Kahni from the east, taking it in short time and threaten Agaidika for Shoshone elimination (not needed, as he once more sued for peace).

I then initiated the end game, having built a couple of Galleasses for the Shoshone attack, which provided me with three Frigates in the end. In addition, my Pikeman turned Sipahi. Combined with a number of Crossbows, three Cannons and four Janissaries, I set out across the ocean SW towards the Iroquois, being the last Civ, until recently undiscovered. They only had an isolated large island in fact and were easy to overrun, providing me with certain Wonders as well. In short time they also had to sue for peace, I waited a couple of turns to upgrade my Cannons to Artilleries and set out NW across the ocean once more for Stockholm, and builded/bought an extra Janissary and Artillery in Konya, as well as acquiring a couple of extra CS Allies, most importantly their neighbour M'Banza-Kongo. I had noticed that they quite late in the game (about as I took Thebes/Moson Kahni) had stolen Techs like MASONRY and METAL CASTING from me, leaving me to assume a total Scientific inferiority - which was correct. Longswordsmen, Crossbowmen, Triremes and Knights were quickly dealt with, giving me the quickest and easiest Domination Victory as of yet :) Reference shots:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I guess the ease derived from having both Sweden and Iroquois isolated to myself being the only other contact Civ, while Portugal and Egypt where kept down due to my own geographical and geopolitically strategic expansion - and Pocatellos total stupidity. Thus NOT due to Ottomans being particularly good, although the Janissaries have a REALLY good Promo. Prizing didn't come around that much, as it seems it doesn't materialize when bombing from afar (of course). Would possibly come more in handy in later games or against naval Civs.

NOW I got the Songhai, not in a particularly good start (some Tundra, and had to move the first turn), but with a clear Geo focus on Camps (Elephants, Furs and Deer), and with a number of Barbs to utilize their potentially immense UA for early game. The cash keeps rolling in, and as Aztecs are one of my two neighbours - the other being Babylon - my systematic assault on Barb camps probably hampers their UA. Quite a lot of CS also helps, with quests against Barbs. Thus, it seems to provide a good start after all - for now. Btw, I also have been able to get SEVEN Ruins on the continent, which must be some sort of record, and add to a great early game despite less-than-optimal Geo start :) I'll use the lower Tundra part to "farm" Barb camps in time.

An update on the recent games - I'll try to remember how they developed:

As the Songhai, I decided to go for Cultural Victory quite early, although it was harder than I thought. The start looked like this:

Spoiler :

After a while, I had built the three main cities, and started thinking culturally. Unfortunately, there were other Civs I hadn't met who also built a number of coveted Wonders for my part. I did get quite a lot of cash from the Barbs, and kept that Tundra area free for some time to spawn camps. However, the land was in short supply, so when Babylon asked me to join in crushing the Aztecs, I agreed. I took Tenochtitlan and Tlatelolco, and he got Teotihuacan:

Spoiler :

Thereafter, I waited to see who the others were, and found in the end Russia, Rome, and Carthage sharing a large continent. The latter were dominant, but Rome not far off. They were clearly more advanced than me, and I had some way to go Culturally. I built my fourth city in the Barb span zone and continued developing, while building up an arsenal of CS allies. Evidently, Rome had a massive Culture and would be difficult to achieve Influence towards.

Suddenly, Babylon and Rome declared war at once. Luckily, I had a number of Units provided by Military CS and staved them off. Then I invaded Babylon, resurrected the Aztecs, and eliminated Nebuchadnezzar (he never wanted to have a Cease Fire - AI moron). I destroyed also the one Roman town on my Continent, far to the north. On the other Continent, he eliminated a number of CS, but I took advantage of my Friendship with the Russians (bordering on Rome, but no DOW) to position a number of Great Musicians. They were safe there, as he had to DOW Russia to take them. I used two, and after a while I got a Peace Treaty with him (not due to those though). Thereafter I just waited until the Cultural Vic was close, moved a GM to his border, DOW'ed and detonated a Musical Tour for the finisher. The screenshots of the end turn:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Songhai should probably have been played Domination, but I had full Religious dominance, but lay behind in Science, so I thought the Cultural was better. It was quite hard though, and Carthage/Rome were both quite menacing.

The next game gave me Aztecs on a narrow hilly/foresty/jungly Continent with Venice, Byzantium, Assyria and three CS - and Kilimanjaro. Thus, with a number of Barbs on the edges, few possibilities for expansion, Honor opening, Kilimanjaro promotion and Woodsman Jaguars, they all fell in quick succession (before year 0 I think - crucially before I met anyone else):

Spoiler :

On a small continent close by (which in fact would have been reachable with triremes) I found Brazil, and on the next small continent, Songhai. Not much to say about the developments in this game. I assaulted Brasilia on a tiny island, razed it, threatened Sao Paulo and got a Ceasefire with the latter city as a bonus. Then I consolidated, healed and assaulted Rio, which I took rather quickly. Thereafter I kept my peace with Brazil while moving armies from east and west towards Gao, allying with his closest CS. Not long after, I attacked and took his Capital in 2-3 turns, winning quite a comfortable Domination Vic:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Now I got Japan, and while initially thinking Domination, I saw quickly that it may be difficult, sharing a continent with Assyria and Greece - which incidently are REALLY annoying when left unchecked, as people have mentioned above. He allies constantly with my CS, keeping high pressure all the time. So I went early to aim for a Cultural Vic. To be continued.

Top Bottom