Project Eternity

One thing i dont understand is that when i use my mark of death, my character always says that there has been no effect. Any guesses as to why this is? Seems to happen every time.

"Also I highly recoomend using scouting a lot, I missed a LOT of stuff that I used a guide to find the locations off because scouting is too ing slow, but lots of hidden loot and buttons."

Having to use stealth in order to find hidden stuff is lame.

There are definitely things that need fixing in an upcoming patch (hopefully).

Still have a lot of fun, though =)

"Also I highly recoomend using scouting a lot, I missed a LOT of stuff that I used a guide to find the locations off because scouting is too ing slow, but lots of hidden loot and buttons."

Having to use stealth in order to find hidden stuff is lame.

There are definitely things that need fixing in an upcoming patch (hopefully).

Still have a lot of fun, though =)

See i dont mind the stealth option. It works better than the BG search for traps option and also allows you the time to spot them before anything goes off. I always keep it on in dungeons becuase you can usually spot things before they spot you.

My only gripe at the moment is that to me it just seems a bit weird that a wizard can wield a sword and wear armour. But i am only just beginning (about 2 hours in). So dont really understand the mechanics yet.

See i dont mind the stealth option. It works better than the BG search for traps option and also allows you the time to spot them before anything goes off. I always keep it on in dungeons becuase you can usually spot things before they spot you.

My only gripe at the moment is that to me it just seems a bit weird that a wizard can wield a sword and wear armour. But i am only just beginning (about 2 hours in). So dont really understand the mechanics yet.

Yeah to me it's just a little silly - you basically just stealth everywhere so you don't miss any hidden items.

The wizard with armor I think is cool, because it has a drawback - he can't cast as fast. So that's a choice you have to make - tougher, or faster output. And despite a sword and some armor, he'll definitely never be the fighter that a melee class will be.

The wizard with armor I think is cool, because it has a drawback - he can't cast as fast. So that's a choice you have to make - tougher, or faster output. And despite a sword and some armor, he'll definitely never be the fighter that a melee class will be.

That's what I love about the game, the classes are not locked into the archetypes of other fantasy games. You can make a frontline wizard if you focus on relatively short range spells, but he'll be a glass cannon due to his comparatively low stamina. unless you give him heavy armor, but then you have to make sacrifices.
My first customized hireling is a crossbow wielding elven rogue rogue. Rogue because I needed somebody for lockpicking, and a crossbow because elfs with bows are so overdone. It's also a character that works really well. The fire rate is pretty poor, but the rogue talents Blinding Strike and Crippling Strike can be pretty devastating openers in a battle, thanks to the 25% damage bonus to a single crossbow attack.

One thing i dont understand is that when i use my mark of death, my character always says that there has been no effect. Any guesses as to why this is? Seems to happen every time.

My cipher also says that for a lot of stuff, looks like a bug. The effects usually still work it's just an audio file that gets triggered when a character does damage below a threshold due to DR.

The D&D armour restrictions were always silly, especially since padded armour is actually pretty good at protecting you (partly why they wore it under chainmail). Also can confirm that ciphers say "that had no effect!' a lot.

So, I just arrived in Defiance Bay. I caught up to where I was in my earlier game, before I knew to not double-click and avoid saving/loading in cerain areas.

I hated Shadows. Now I hate Shades.

Shadows and shades are pretty much the same thing, I'm not actually sure what the difference is? I'm at level 10 now and just started on the main quest again after doing a tonne of side quests. A few fights were quite laughable since the enemies were being a bit boasty about how strong they were, and then I steamrolled them.

Shades have higher stats and can summon shadows. My first encounter with them did not end well. I'm at level five now, and I think I'll need to postpone the sidequest where I met them.

Spoiler :

I mean the lighthouse in Defiance Bay. The worst thing is that you can't even camp there, and I really need to rest because I have to use a lot of abilities/spells for the fights. It's really annoying having to backtrack to the brothel.

Shades have higher stats and can summon shadows. My first encounter with them did not end well. I'm at level five now, and I think I'll need to postpone the sidequest where I met them.

Spoiler :

I mean the lighthouse in Defiance Bay. The worst thing is that you can't even camp there, and I really need to rest because I have to use a lot of abilities/spells for the fights. It's really annoying having to backtrack to the brothel.

Those two fights in the lighthouse were some of the first real hard battles I faced.

Clumping up helped a bit - otherwise their teleporting around massacres your support guys.

Angry Joe REALLY likes the game but makes a few good points about parts of it which could have been better. He doesn't seem to know those NPC side stories are backer rewards and completely unrelated to the story (and many of them could be from any setting at all actually) though.

Link to video.

I love how he kills wizard with a finishing blow from a gun, very apt to the lore's references to technology leveling the playing field against magic users.

Definitely room for improvement. It needs a good combat balance pass (some stuff OP, other stuff useless, the usual), combat also has some goofy pathing/AI issues, the whole stronghold feature feels like it's still in beta, some conversations don't seem to have all the right options...

But overall it's great and I just hope they make a 2nd one with all the improvements =)

They are working on an expansion, and yeah the pathing in combat is terrible and the Stronghold is seriously under utilized. I've only had three attacks on it (although I also now have everything built and 7 guards) and it mostly seems to be a way to send companions off to do missions while you aren't using them, which is cool.

^
Action RPGs should never be compared to old school RPGs.
I loved DA:I, but i don't see why it should be compared with Pillars which i also like (so far - i barely started). Review scores between genres is a useless indicator. Review scores should only make sense per genre.

Yeah the AJ review was okay. Still makes me cringe that he gave DA:I a 9 in comparison as I think that game is not that good.

I can't really take his RPG rewievs seriously since he panned Alpha Protocol so badly.
Inquisition is a good game, but it's not great. I don't see how you can rate it better than Pillars of Eternity after complaining about the latter's characters and combat.
I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Finished the game, it took me over 6 months of in-game time apparently, and about 60 hours of actually playing it (Steam says 78, but I did alt tab, get distracted, cook dinner, or browse reddit for a number of hours).

Excellent game, I agree more or less completely with Angry Joe's review of it, as the third act doesn't have as much content as the first two did. The final boss fight was alright, and the story and lore were interesting but could have been better (I didn't really agree with all of my dialogue choices I had at the end). Still better than most games though. Gameplay and battles are great despite a poor AI and bad pathfinding. I liked the companions, although I wish they actually had more discussions but being able to make your own from scratch is also great.

8/10 is a pretty good score for it.

Top Bottom