Mein Gott! A WW2 German FPS?

President does the demo; now that's representin'.

I pray to God my computer will be able to run this.

President does the demo; now that's representin'.

I pray to God my computer will be able to run this.

I'll do my best to convince your computer to not be crap, but I'm not promising anything.

So for some reason it's simply impossible for me to play RO online. Manages to connect to a server most of the time, get to pick a side etc, but then usually nothing happens after that. If I'm really lucky I'll spawn, but then it'll just lag out. :(

Sorry I have no idea, try Tripwire's forums.

EDIT:
Preview on Eurogamer, nothing really new but worth a read if you haven't been following the game closely. I highlighted a couple of things. There's also 35 of the screenshots that have previously been released too, and worth a look if you haven't seen them yet either.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-05-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad-preview

Page 1
Spoiler :
Every first-time player of über-gritty World War 2 multiplayer FPS Red Orchestra must undergo as rude an awakening as you're likely to find in gaming.

It works a little something like this: You pick a map with a sinister name that might be funny in a different light, like Krivoi Rog or Ogledow. You pick your side, either the Germans or the Russians, seeing as Red Orchestra exclusively covers the Eastern Front. When given a choice of class, you pick either the heavy machine gunner or the Assault class, with its punchy little sub-machine gun. You turn up your headphones. Here we go!

You spawn in a shelled and shattered cityscape where all is silence. Your survival instincts, having been blunted by years of ordinary FPS games, send you lurching off across the landscape like some 20th century rambler riding the ginger beer high of a lifetime. Perhaps in the distance you see a figure disappearing behind some crushed building or tumbledown spider web of wrought iron, and you let off a cacophonous clatter of bullets from your gun. Perhaps you don't.

All of a sudden your view will lurch upwards as if jerked by a wire, and you'll hear a single, distant gunshot.

"Hi!" you can almost hear the game saying in the booming echo. "Didn't see you there." And only then will you realise that you've been shot and killed.

What happens next will determine whether you get along with Red Orchestra or not. Either this exact process will happen to you over and over like some sad and masculine purgatory, until finally you get bored and quit, or you'll learn to work the angles, to advance under covering fire from your friends, and to imagine where you'd be if you were the enemy.

"When a single shot can kill you, suppressive fire becomes a valid tactic."

It's not that Red Orchestra demands that its players act like soldiers through arbitrary mechanics, like, say, Brothers In Arms' suppression system. Red Orchestra represents a fundamentally different take on the FPS, one so believable and brutal that players start adopting real-life military tactics because they work.

When a single shot can kill you, suppressive fire becomes a valid tactic. When you can't aim while moving, cover becomes important. When the game doesn't go out of its way to point out other players, camouflage becomes key. These are the bricks that make up the grim, impossibly dramatic bungalow that is Red Orchestra. For the sequel, Heroes of Stalingrad, Tripwire Interactive aren't so much building a different house as they're adding a second storey, slotting new feature after new feature onto the existing framework.

Here are just some of them: a first-person cover system; the ability to blind fire around corners; a system for commanding your squads; better bullet ballistics; more true-to-life sniper scopes; more detailed tanks with no less than ten individual mechanisms that can (and will) break down. If Red Orchestra teaches its player base anything, it's that the only thing scarier than a tank is driving one, a process comparable to drunk-driving a house while peering out of the letterbox.

Every bit as exciting are all the features Tripwire Interactive are adding around the game. Not only will there be a single player campaign for the first time in Red Orchestra's history, leading you first through the battle for Stalingrad first as the Germans, then as the Russians, and not only will there be persistent stat tracking, medals to earn, weaponry unlocks and the ultimate class of "Hero" to attain (heroes don't receive any boosts themselves, but buff players around them very slightly), but - are you ready for this? - the character models of veteran players will slowly but surely be made to look more ragged and tired, with damaged and jury-rigged bits of uniform acting as some kind of strange badge of honour. That's something more meaningful than any medal.

Page 2
Spoiler :
So why Stalingrad? Why take a game that took in the entire scope of the Eastern Front all the way up to Berlin, and reduce it to the battle for a single city? I found that Tripwire level design Ingmar Spit had the answer, though it came spiralling out of the strange statement that it wasn't the game itself that got him interested in Red Orchestra.

"I think for a lot of the guys at Tripwire, curiosity is what makes us move... we really like the game's mechanics, but what drew a lot of us to the game was the fact that it was the Eastern Front, which we don't know as much about. It was only working on the mod that I came to the realisation of [what happened] in Stalingrad.

"The Germans weren't only pushed back, they were forced to move so much of their resources to that area, and it was a slap in the face motivation-wise. They were the big country that could conquer all and it turned out that these "non-humans", so to speak, slapped their asses... It's the clash of the century. And as developers, we found that it had everything we could look for.

"Open terrain, factory environments, the hot summer of 1942, the most extreme winter in decades in 1943 - and so many battles to pick."

And he means that literally. Where other level designers might start their design work with some idea of the shape or flow of their battlefield, Ingmar first researches a real-life battle.

"At first with Red Orchestra we'd build levels with a gameplay plan, and the distances between things were relatively small - the first levels I made were kinda gamey - but as my interest in research grew, I wanted to design levels around the actual battles. You start to read, look at pictures, to see if you saw the potential. Slowly we moved to 1:1 scale levels. The first level I did that way was Koenigsplatz. I actually went to Berlin and took about 2,500 pictures of the Reichstag. And do you know, it was only after I'd designed that first level where a metre on the map is a metre in real life, where I started to really notice the difference in our weaponry, and began craving the rifle instead of an SMG."

As with everything else, for Red Orchestra 2 Tripwire are pushing this emphasis on research even harder. Never mind recreating flawless tank interiors - recently, some of the developers became the first Westerners to get inside a long abandoned grain elevator that acted as the strangest of fortresses during the battle of Stalingrad.

"It's just a bunch of big silos," enthused Ingmar. "You put grain in, and you take grain out, and there's a conveyor belt. So the Germans first ignored it, but when the Russians found out about that they went and sat in there for a couple of days. Germans threw everything they had at that building, but the concrete is a foot thick, because Russians like to build things sturdily. It's like a castle, but it's just a grain silo."

Which sounds a bit like Red Orchestra itself. It's just a ruggedly handsome FPS with great audio. But at the same time it's the ruggedly handsome FPS. A shooting game where every bullet and bayonet is a dreadful construct to be feared, where every corner is treacherous and every noise demands your attention.

The battle for Stalingrad is less than two months away now. I'm as excited as I am nervous, and you should be too.

Some new footage of the Singleplayer.

Russian Campaign

German Campaign

The Singleplayer puts you in control of the squads in the battle, you can give a variety of orders ot the AI squads, and if you are killed you take control of a surviving squadmate and the AI doesn't look ******ed but doesn't look amazing either (hopefully it will be better upon release).

Um, well I'm interested in the game but this were poor showcases if you ask me. They should have used someone who doesn't suck so much at the game. President of Tripwire uh? ... It seems he failed at showcasing the things he was talking about half the time. Blowing himself up with grenades like 4 times, failing at aiming with 3d scope, getting killed before we could see his squad answering to orders, and whatnot, and just dying all the time. I don't think it did justice to the game as it appeared to be a boring and bland "spawn bots on a random map" game. I guess it's hard to showcase the main aspect of the game (realistic gunplay?) without actually playing it yourself.

Um, well I'm interested in the game but this were poor showcases if you ask me. They should have used someone who doesn't suck so much at the game. President of Tripwire uh? ... It seems he failed at showcasing the things he was talking about half the time. Blowing himself up with grenades like 4 times, failing at aiming with 3d scope, getting killed before we could see his squad answering to orders, and whatnot, and just dying all the time. I don't think it did justice to the game as it appeared to be a boring and bland "spawn bots on a random map" game. I guess it's hard to showcase the main aspect of the game (realistic gunplay?) without actually playing it yourself.

There's a second soviet video that is much better, although the AI still looks terrible (hopefully he's playing on easy mode or something)

I'm not sure who was actually playing the game this time. However, since one bullet from a rifle will kill you unless it only like hits your foot or hand he did showcase how the game will go for the newbs pretty well. I agree he didn't play it that well with the grenades though. Hopefully the bots AI will improve but the main focus will once again be on multiplayer anyway. Still, I can't wait to try out what looks like an awesome cover system (FINALLY!!!).

He probably didn't have the AI on a high difficulty, because in RO1 the highest difficulties for the AI in the practice mode (which is kind of the same thing the Battlefield games used to have as their "SP" were pretty much aimbotting, while at the lowest level of difficulty they were lucky to get out of their spawn.

Reminds me of Rainbow 6 games a little. I like how the AI soldiers aren't all-seeing. I hope the Rainbow 6eyness translates to co-op and hilarious LPs.

Link to video.

Interview with one of the devs explaining their choice of Stalingrad (it offers a huge variety of different battles over a fairly long period and is iconic). The singplayer campaigns start with you as a German squad as they attacked and capture the city, and switches over to the Russians when they begin the counter attack that would push the Germans back out. There will be no scripted events, the experience will be similar to the multiplayer.

They also talk about how experience and ranks will work (with Hero still being the highest rank). The more and better you play a class the more experience you will get which will allow you to (at the highest levels) unlock prototypes and even weapons from the other side (ie you really like playing Germans but still love the PPSH, you can eventually unlock it for the German SMG class). This is designed to give bonuses to players who play a lot and for a long time but also keep the prototype weapons appropriately rare.

Bullet penetration has also been added, so hiding behind a brick wall won't save you (since the only class that is not limited is rifleman and their bullets can pierce a single brick wall and still be lethal, unlock the SMG bullets).

Team Deathmatch has also been added, you will spawn near the rest of your team and the goal is, as always, to kill as many of the enemy as possible.

Box art and reqs announced

Minimum:
Processor: Dual Core 2.3 GHz or better
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics card: 256 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant NVIDIA® GeForce 7800 GTX or better ATI® Radeon® HD 2900 GT or better
Sound: Windows Supported Sound Card
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

Recommended:
Processor: Quad Core 2.6 GHz or better
RAM: 3 GB
Graphics card: 512 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 260 or better ATI® Radeon® HD 5750 or better
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy or better
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

I haven't the time to watch that interview this second, but on the thumbnail is a very nice pz IV model.

LoL at that interview :salute:

"It's not a game that plays itself."

Best indictment of the current sorry state of FPSes.

Indeed. From the first demo it sounded like they'd take the BF1942 approach and just string the missions together into a loose narrative for the singleplayer campaign.

Top Bottom