Football Manager 2013

Baleata is a cracking purchase. How much? It usually takes 10-15m to persuade him to join the Premiership, a portugese side may get him a bit cheaper. He is probably the best young defender from South America in the game; Doria can develop well too.

How well did the Europa League go? In real life they have made both finals in the last two years.

i got him for 9.5 million usd

i made it out of the champions league group stage both years. last year i got creamed by leverkusen in the first knockout round. i've clinched the group with a game in hand this year.

last year's group was me, ac milan, olympiacos, and rapid wien (1st overall). this year was shakhtar, cska moscow, and some cypriot team i haven't heard of (11 points with a meaningless game with shakhtar left [also advanced]).

Ah so you bettered Jorge Jesus' efforts in real life, good job.
Is this your first Football Managing game?

Oh good :lol: £ for time it is the best value game i've ever bought.

Just don't be addicted when it is exam/revision time. You could ruin everything.

@MadViking, that is an impressive comeback. In 6 seasons I'm yet to get the two goal achievement although that has to be at half time.

@Quackers, Roy became a God in my game:

In my Lincoln game I won promotion to the championship and the off season has been quite frustrating. All my first team wanted significant wage rises to sign new contracts and that took me over the wage budget which led to me selling three good players for 2.5 million to lower the wages. Of course then the board wanted to negotiate a new contract which led to the wage budget being increased slightly.

What do you guys usually do with players that refuse to sign new contracts or demand too much money? Sell them straight away or keep them till the end of the season? I've tried to take a balanced approach so far of selling some and keeping others. Last season out of the two that I kept one left for free whilst the other did eventually sign a new contract. Unfortunately my goalkeeper wants to leave this time round.

Attachments

• FM.png
    FM.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 179
What do you guys usually do with players that refuse to sign new contracts or demand too much money? Sell them straight away or keep them till the end of the season? I've tried to take a balanced approach so far of selling some and keeping others. Last season out of the two that I kept one left for free whilst the other did eventually sign a new contract. Unfortunately my goalkeeper wants to leave this time round.

I am ruthless and I will sell them straight away as long as its a good price for me.

Sometimes the player in question is utterly crucial to the success of the team. In that case it may be wise to keep him and look for savings elsewhere. Have a conversation and select the "Prove it to me on the pitch you deserve a new contract"; that may buy you time to find a new player or think or a new solution.

________

When you guys shop for a player, after making sure he has suitable attributes is there anything else you look at? I'm thinking personality may be important here. I've seen a personality type called: "Iron Willed", would that fit in with a squad of light hearted players?

Whenever I buy a player, especially a youth player, i pretty much always check out his determination. If that is 14+ he probably won't let you down. Thoughts?

I think with the keeper I'm going to keep him and then let him go on a free transfer as I think I've sold enough players already. He is currently rated as a decent premiership keeper so I'm not sure he would accept a new contract.

I rely heavily on my scouts. If the player has decent stats and my scouts agree then I'll usually try to sign them. I haven't checked their personalities before and I would have thought it would have a big impact on the team morale. It might change how I treat them as a player though as maybe they are going to be annoyed about being substituted?

Typically I like to have reasonably high team work and work rate. I try to avoid players if there are too many low ratings in the mental and physical sections. Going through my first team only three have a determination lower than 10 and most are above that so I guess that its something that the scouts look for.

This is my keeper currently:
Spoiler :

and my one "luxury" player:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• FM2.png
    FM2.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 180
  • FM3.png
    FM3.png
    366.2 KB · Views: 250
i'm having some really good youth/young players with det in the low 10s and some arcing-towards-flaming-out younger players with dets above 15.

i think fit and getting good playing time help progression more than anything.

this leads me into my next question, do you guys ever have players who are pretty bad on paper but somehow punch WAY above their weight? like this guy:

1.5 star guy i have as a AMC advanced playmaker and is somehow getting a 7.44 match rating!

Whenever I buy a player, especially a youth player, i pretty much always check out his determination. If that is 14+ he probably won't let you down. Thoughts?

For young players, you really want professionalism and ambition - those are the two that most affect how quickly they develop as players. Unfortunately, both are hiddden so you can only guess at them from their personalities. Ambition can also be a bit of a bad thing if you're not a massive club. As such, personalities like Model Citizen (the holy grail), Resolute and Model Profesional are the ones to go for if possible (either in terms of the players you're buying, or their tutors).

That said, I do like determination too, although, in an ideal world, its effects won't be kicking in that much ;).

For young players, you really want professionalism and ambition - those are the two that most affect how quickly they develop as players. Unfortunately, both are hiddden so you can only guess at them from their personalities. Ambition can also be a bit of a bad thing if you're not a massive club. As such, personalities like Model Citizen (the holy grail), Resolute and Model Profesional are the ones to go for if possible (either in terms of the players you're buying, or their tutors).

That said, I do like determination too, although, in an ideal world, its effects won't be kicking in that much ;).

I see. You know I have never seen "model citizen" in my FM career. Although personality isn't something i look at regularly.

Found this guide here.

I see. You know I have never seen "model citizen" in my FM career. Although personality isn't something i look at regularly.

Found this guide here.

Neither have I. But apparently they do exist....

I tend to just settle on Model Professional as my target. They're not *that* common, but I've found I can usually pick up a couple to do tutoring if nothing else, and having a few of them in my team really seems to help - particularly when it comes to motivating; no matter what I say my MPs pretty much never have negative reactions - as well as making them develop faster if they're young.

This thread covers the player development side of the game, including what personalities are good and so on, pretty well.

Out of interest when do you ask for a new stadium to be built?

Part of the appeal of starting the game as Lincoln is that they start the game with a 10k capacity stadium however my first few home games in the Championship have been close to filling it out (8k-9k). The training and youth facilities are currently being upgraded.

Nice name, gonna assume you're Christoper Adams in real life now ;)

Anybody fallen foul of Financial fair play? The board warned me i needed to make 10.85m worth of savings in January otherwise we wouldn't hit the "minimum" loss benchmark. I have a small squad but quite a few are on high wages. I tried to sell a 29 year old Konoplyanka but the maximium offer was derisory. I than tried to sell Andre Wisdom but again i wouldn't make enough savings (including wages) for it to make up the FFP requirements.

Am I going to be banned from Europe next year?

Not sure, are you trying to sell fringe players or first teamers? If its the later then it might be worth trying to sell one of them and then re investing some of the cash. There might be some tolerance if you are expecting to have higher attendances plus longer cup runs to generate some cash.

I found Drage in my game and he was available on a free but didn't look quite good enough for a 28 year old.

Somehow in my Lincoln game I managed to finish second in the championship (Pozo scored 40 goals). Winning promotion is great but it was possibly a season too early as I have very few premiership quality players and with a maximum wage of 17k its difficult to sign established players. Also my board did decide to build a new stadium but the new capacity will only be 5k more which seems like a waste of time.

Top Bottom