Age of Empires II HD

Yeah I'll probably pick this up when it's on sale for $10 or less. I really can't see paying $20 or even $15 for a game that I already own and runs pretty okay in Windows 7 without much tinkering just for the convenience of having it on Steam.

I may get this, just for the Steam multiplayer; MP in AoEII always struck me as being too much of a hassle to set up, with the possible exception of LAN games.

So, has anyone picked it up yet?
It seems to be on sale on steam.

Any word on changes/additions that were made?

It came and it was beautiful.

@Dreadnought: I would be up for a game but I am in Australia so that could complicate things somewhat.

Oh well, I gave in and bought it.
One thing I already like: unit limit upped to 500.
One thing I didn't like: New ressource icons (but workshop to the rescue!).

In the end Age II was one of the most important games in my childhood, so I can overlook the sort of overpriced nature. I even created a map filled with a city and created a small campaign around it (save the important cart from bandits, break into the noble quarters, lead the uprising against the usurpor - shame all the data is lost Q_Q...). Its just a bit sad that absolutely no effort was made to incorporate some new stuff (auto explore for scout, unit grouping that tell you unit numbers, etc.). :(

Btw, whats your favored civ?

I used to play Teutons and Byzantines against the AI (back in the day when playing the game was just a "reach imperal age, build 1000 castles, win by spamming any troops + trebuchets). Persians were always awesome because of their elephants, but admittedly they are just monk and ranged fodder. :(

Then I actually added strategy (like the Flush) and switched to China, Celts, Huns, Korea, Maya - but still, I haven't to this day found one I'd stick with.

That being said - did they change some of the civs?
It seems that the Vikings (FINALLY) have mor techs available, Goths can build Huscarls in barracks and Japan got its attack speed bonus for INF earlier?

edit:
Ahhh... Stealing all the sheep from the AI is still as funny as it used to be. :D

Oh well, I gave in and bought it.
One thing I already like: unit limit upped to 500.
One thing I didn't like: New ressource icons (but workshop to the rescue!).

In the end Age II was one of the most important games in my childhood, so I can overlook the sort of overpriced nature. I even created a map filled with a city and created a small campaign around it (save the important cart from bandits, break into the noble quarters, lead the uprising against the usurpor - shame all the data is lost Q_Q...). Its just a bit sad that absolutely no effort was made to incorporate some new stuff (auto explore for scout, unit grouping that tell you unit numbers, etc.). :(

Btw, whats your favored civ?

I used to play Teutons and Byzantines against the AI (back in the day when playing the game was just a "reach imperal age, build 1000 castles, win by spamming any troops + trebuchets). Persians were always awesome because of their elephants, but admittedly they are just monk and ranged fodder. :(

Then I actually added strategy (like the Flush) and switched to China, Celts, Huns, Korea, Maya - but still, I haven't to this day found one I'd stick with.

That being said - did they change some of the civs?
It seems that the Vikings (FINALLY) have mor techs available, Goths can build Huscarls in barracks and Japan got its attack speed bonus for INF earlier?

edit:
Ahhh... Stealing all the sheep from the AI is still as funny as it used to be. :D

Yeah, those resource icons are terrible. And it's weird that they only replaced them for the top bar, market resource icons and even when you select the sheep caucus are the same. Weird. There's probably a mod that fixes that though, I might start using that if one exists.

I may buy this.

quick question; Huns and Mongolians are playable right?

It should, to my knowledge.

Ah, the Huns.

I remember having good times with that civ. No houses at all, massive killing spree! :p

I may pick this up for simple nostalgia soon.

I was always a big fan of the British. Longbow+Cavalier was so OP.

The Huns were one of my favorites. In part because they didn't need houses - I wasn't very good about building enough houses early. And in part because it was a lot of fun to go storming into an enemy settlement with Tarkans, quickly razing everything in the way.

I recently found my AoE II CDs, so I might fire that up for a game or two. I do like the sound of a higher unit limit, though I don't know how often I'd use it. Usually by the time I approached 200, it was time to actually go take someone over. I always did like that in AoE II, one unit counted as one population point, so if you could afford 150 Paladins, you could have them. Later games made more expensive units count as multiple population points, so you could never have, say, 150 cannons in AoE III or 150 Phoenixes in Age of Mythology.

Edit: In the original game (with Conquerors), the Goths can build Huskarls at the barracks after they've researched their unique tech of Anarchy, which is available in the Castle Age. Japanese infantry get an attack speed bonus starting in the Feudal Age.

Edit 2: Y'know, I might have to buy this. The original just crashed when I tried to open the diplomacy screen :(. Though the music kept playing thereafter, which was sort of nice.

The sweet, sweet memories... I tried it out in nostalgia only to discover how much more I've grown to enjoy the more relaxed pace of Paradox games, instead of frantically clicking around in this more traditional RTS.

Still, I might give it a another try sometimes.

I enjoyed just about all the civilizations. That said... for sheer hilarious surprise, there was nothing as beautiful as sneaking a handful of proxy barracks behind an enemy as the Goths. If your army got mostly killed off but crippled their army in the bargain, you could reinforce in their base faster than they could.

Of course nothing says power more than elephents.

Spoiler wide image and lots of elephents, plus violence against a castle: rated E for Elephent :

Nelly is in the building demolishing industry!

*a wild monk appears*
Hai guyz!
:D

And: I really miss the "Attack Move" option from new RTS... X_X

It came and it was beautiful.

@Dreadnought: I would be up for a game but I am in Australia so that could complicate things somewhat.

I'm sorely tempted but I don't have the game.

Top Bottom