Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

The Sims is begging for competition, it has a huge brand power and loyalty (somehow) but it has no competition at all and is too cozy and stagnant. However even a large developer would struggle to make both a Sims game and any other games.

I had to abandon my current city and start a new one. I wasn't careful enough when planning out the transportation systems. Got to 50k residents and then my garbage trucks, hearses, ambulances, and fire trucks couldn't get anywhere. My citizens were drowning in filth and dying in their homes, and downtown lost several highrises to flames...not to mention the fires that raged through my industrial sectors. :(

Despite my best efforts to upgrade the infrastructure, my poor initial planning doomed the city. I would have had to bulldoze literally the entire city and start from scratch, and that seemed like far too much effort.

Started a new town and attempting to plan it much more carefully. Up to 3k residents and don't have a single 2-way street yet. :p

I use elevated walkways everywhere, and my city of 165k runs just fine, with no traffic problems. I have no bus lines, 2 LRT rail lines, and 3 subway lines... and minimal highway support, since I'm using a map of London, Ont.

As for the sims, I would play that game, but it seems that there's like 1278975125 different DLCs or whatever, each one giving you access to a different type of game. . yeah, nope.

Started a new town and attempting to plan it much more carefully. Up to 3k residents and don't have a single 2-way street yet. :p

I'd just like to mention that one way streets aren't always good. Sometimes they might even cause more congestion because you'll have a higher volume of vehicles going in the same direction(s).

That's true, and it also can cause problems with emergency services if not planned out correctly (i.e. the service should always be located somewhere conveniently "upstream" so that they don't need to do gymnastics to get where they need to go).

I will use 2-lane roads in certain areas, but I find that even with the higher volume of traffic, being intentional in preventing the creation of stoplights has helped my traffic flow. There may be more traffic, but it's all moving quickly...

Regarding traffic lights... there is a great mod that allows you to toggle them on/off at any intersection. Can't remember the name of it off hand.

That's true, and it also can cause problems with emergency services if not planned out correctly (i.e. the service should always be located somewhere conveniently "upstream" so that they don't need to do gymnastics to get where they need to go).

I will use 2-lane roads in certain areas, but I find that even with the higher volume of traffic, being intentional in preventing the creation of stoplights has helped my traffic flow. There may be more traffic, but it's all moving quickly...

Yeah, preventing any sort of stop or slowdown is very important on the micro level. It's really the main advantage of highways in-game, and not the fact that they could handle more cars.

Personally, the best tips I've found came from that reddit post the RL traffic engineer made (if you haven't seen it already it's one of the top up voted posts of all time on the CS subreddit so you should be able to find it easily). While a lot of his stuff is useful, I think two pieces of advice stands above the others. First, you must design your road system in a kind of "hierarchy", where small levels of roads feed into high levels. Picture since I can't explain it well:

Spoiler :

This helps traffic flow in a predictable but controlled manner.

Second piece of advice was that sometimes the issue is not so much your road system but the buildings themselves. To give a more extreme example, if you stuff all your commercial in one corner of your city, you *will* get traffic no matter how well-designed your road network is because you'll get a gazillion cars and trucks going in the same direction. So spreading RCI and mixing them appropriately does wonders because of cars all headed in the same directions they are spread more evenly. Once in my city I was having some noticeable congestion, and it was solved when I replaced a small section of industry with offices - the reduction in trucks in a specific area made all the difference.

I pretty much only followed these two pieces of advice, anyways, and made a very widespread public bus/metro network, and my city of 150000+ that I posted a while back had pretty much no traffic problems. Sure, there were a few areas with heavy traffic, but no congestion. I'm sure I could've gone even further but unfortunately my machine can't handle it.

I've started implementing pedestrian walkways, but how do you ensure that they value the walkway over a crosswalk?

They will take the shortest/quickest route, I think, so you can't prevent them from using some crosswalks.. But if you have enough walkways and they connect key parts of town, they should get a lot of use and cims should use the crosswalks less frequently.

For those of you like me who are still riding the Cities Skylines hype train (I got almost 175 hours under my belt :D), the devs have been hinting again at new stuff coming very soon™ which, so far as we know, will be a free patch/update including tunnels, wall-to-wall European-style buildings, and some other big surprise. TotalyMoo posted this screenshot of a tunnel on reddit:

Spoiler :

According to one of his comments in the reddit thread the tunnels aren't necessarily that steep, he was just pushing the limits of the engine for the lulz.

The devs also left a twitter message earlier today that said "Prepare for something awesome later this week... HINT HINT -- NUDGE NUDGE." So... yay hype?

Patch 1.1.0 is out!

Features & New

• New: European theme added
  • New: 72 European buildings in the European theme
  • New: Support for corner and adjacent buildings in the European theme
  • New: 3 maps added with European theme (Cliffside Bay, Foggy Hills and Grand River)
  • New: Tunnels for roads and rail added
  • New: Metro tunnels can be built at different levels
  • Options: V sync option added
  • Options: Invert Y mouse axis added

Editor & Modding

• Launch options: added -noWorkshop to disable Steam workshop
  • Asset editor: Increased limit for bridge pillar count
  • Asset editor: Hedge added to residential props
  • Asset editor: Added custom vehicle importing
  • Asset editor: Added the ability to set custom thumbnails and tooltip images for all types of assets (in the save panel)
  • Asset editor: New editable properties exposed
  • Asset editor: Added ability to inherit building unlock milestone from template
  • Asset editor: vehicles have a Steam tag "Vehicle"
  • Asset editor: Fixed cut off text and missing spaces in the Properties box
  • Asset editor: Water Service buildings can now have proper pipe connections
  • Asset editor: Custom harbors and cargo harbors are now usable in-game
  • Asset editor: Custom airports now get visited by planes, like an actual airport
  • Asset editor: Fixed issue where some custom assets could not be loaded in-game after editing
  • Asset editor: Fixed missing texture for landfills
  • Asset Editor: Fixed a rare issue where holding and releasing the mouse button would not be recognized
  • Content manager: Introduced a new layout
  • Modding API: Added OnEnabled/OnDisabled support for IUserMod. Called everytime a mod is becoming active or inactive
  • Map editor: Fixed issue where users could place a water source outside the map area
  • Map editor: Fixed free camera hotkey not working

Bugfixes & Misc

• Linux: support for JPG workshop previews added
  • Linux: users can now use numpad-Enter in-game
  • Linux: Fixed rare issue where users crashed due to a faulty asset
  • Fixed issue with 1x1 buildings "disappearing" when zoomed out too far
  • Fixed several localization issues
  • devInfo.txt is no longer needed
  • Achievements are now properly localized
  • Small contrast changes in some information windows to improve colorblind accessibility
  • Fixed issue where some elevated roads became immune to interaction
  • Metro and train lines now properly update when changed
  • Cruise ships no longer travel over land :’(
  • The 2x2 OreCrusher now has a purpose in life
  • Ireland is properly represented on the Union Jack
  • Cursor no longer disappears when you press Esc whilst rotating the camera
  • Adjusted upkeep cost of some roads to the one displayed in their tooltip
  • People no longer die when your city is at 0 population
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking a button would highlight it incorrectly
  • Fixed an issue where free camera mode was not enabled after viewing milestones
  • Fixed an issue where changing language in-game would not change language for some menus
  • Fixed an issue with mouse button key bindings
  • Fixed an issue where the options menu would not be closed properly by hitting the esc key
  • Fixed an issue where temporary save files would sometimes be visible
  • Fixed an issue where roads would snap to inaccessible sections of hydro dams
  • Fixed a graphics issue where text would sometimes be corrupted at the bottom of save and load menus
  • Trees in terrain heights view should now have the proper colors for their elevation
  • Fixed an issue where users could elevate the height of gravel paths, even though they could not place them
  • Fixed a minor graphical issue in the content manager
  • Fixed some text alignment problems
  • Text references to left and right mouse buttons now take left-handed mouse settings into account
  • Added confirmation prompt for Reset Unique Buildings

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Wow, that was a lot quicker than I expected. In terms of climate though the European theme doesn't really look that different than the temperate or boreal one. Anyhow, given that I was planning to start a new city within the next few days this is good news.

Edit: According to totalymoo's comments on reddit, the European looking buildings will only occur in high density residential/commercial and office zones. That's interesting.

Awesome update. I can finally fix my Oslo map with real life tunnels and stuff!

Was hoping for a more flexible implementation of the european buildings than as a map-theme though. But I guess adding 72 buildings (72! 72 buildings for frickin free! I must be dreaming.) in addition to all the stock buildings plus any possible workshop buildings could significantly increase minimum memory requirements. Also, using them in all maps should hopefully be as simple as opening them up in the asset editor and publishing it as a variant to the workshop to use them as normal modded buildings, could hopefully have a collection thats quick and easy to subscribe to.

Edit: According to totalymoo's comments on reddit, the European looking buildings will only occur in high density residential/commercial and office zones. That's interesting.

Yeah, the also only show up on certain maps. which is a bit annoying, but the buildings are welcome nevertheless

So, my broken down first metropolis of Ellery is going to be closed out, I think I'll restart on a map that has joined-up buildings to see how that works out.

My game works fine when I disable all mods and workshop items but when I turn them all on, even without mods and just custom assets, the thing ctds. Since I've subscribed to over 1200 items on the workshop its gonna take me a long, long time to sift through all those. T_T

Alternatively I guess I can just figure out a way to unsubscribe all my steam workshop stuff, and then download some slowly. There is apparently a limit to the number of workshop items you can have, anyways, before the game starts crashing on startup (if it weren't for that I'm sure I'd have over 2000 items or so by now).

Top Bottom