Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

That's it I'm stopping feeding an African village for a month and buying you a new computer.

Spoiler :
I'm not feeding an African village :(

I don't know how you can live on lowest settings. Cool shots nonetheless.

That's it I'm stopping feeding an African village for a month and buying you a new computer.

Spoiler :
I'm not feeding an African village :(

I don't know how you can live on lowest settings. Cool shots nonetheless.
Guess I'm just used to gaming on low-end PCs since it's what I've had since I was a kid. Such is the life of a low-end PC peasant.

Well, can't wait for my new much improved PC at any rate. [emoji20] Just a week or so... just a week or so... and then I can play on much higher settings...

For my second city, I downloaded a Constantinople/Istanbul map on the workshop and tried it with my brother's PC. His PC ended up CTD'ing for some reason, so I lost my progress sadly. At least I managed to make a crappy highway exit ramp thingy.

And somehow they forgot to put autosave in the game. As with most things concerning this game there's already a mod for it on the workshop. :goodjob:

Also funny my mind immediately jumped to SC4 when I saw your game from that first aerial angle and with those graphics settings.

It was surprisingly quick for me to get my heightmap into what should be a decently buildable shape. When using heightmaps the Soften tool is your friend. It'll be a slopey hell, but that's pretty much what it's like in the real world too. I was worried the scale would be too small, but I think I can get a nice approximation of the real world road and train network in there and the "proportions" of the network will be better for the game than if I had tried Oslo real scale.
Spoiler :

Not quite sure whether trees everywhere looks good or not, but it is realistic. And it boggles my mind that the Paradox streamer guy hit the tree limit by manually click placing trees in his city, I could put 110k more trees in this map still! :crazyeye:

Also, more evidence the water physics system was a completely necessary feature:
Spoiler :
Those dam experiments on your dams creating permanent lakes in your city? PUMP IT UP!
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?842474-Water-Realism-(Fun-Fact)

Also, how the heck did you get your ramps so pretty and perfect? They're so difficult. ;_;

I didn't. Riverrun starts with a highway to the...south(?) of the start. I buy that land so I could work on the highway due to aforementioned road issue.

Spoiler :

My first thoughts, need to keep those lines more cleanly separated. The circle with a question mark is meant to indicate that if this one-way road solution results in traffic having to go right when they want to go left etc. then a roundabout might be a good solution here. EDIT noticed I put the arrows the wrong way. :hammer2: Works the same anyway.

I'm loving the game, played for over 5 hours but only got to 1000 population babby town because I can't stop just sitting around looking at things.

Thanks! I will try that out later this evening.

Edit: Most of the traffic is trying to go left anyway. The trucks are going to the industrial district.

When I started playing, I was just going to make a one-road small town and let it run to see what happened. Then one thing led to another...

I still don't really like those onramps.. I haven't bought the game yet and so haven't tried it out, but it seems really.. odd.. and wonky. So your onramp is a 3 lane 1 way street, and your offramp is.. a separate 3 lane 1 way street.. Okay that's kind of weird, I've never seen a setup like that anywhere, ever. But let's go with it..

What I would want to do with that is connect it to a 6 lane avenue running through the middle of town. So at the end of the avenue it splits in two and those 2 roads connect directly to the highway. Is this possible?

Any other solution I can think of seems "silly" and not realistic in any way. Why'd they do it this way? Or am I missing something? Everything else I'm seeing about the game so far is really impressing me.

I still don't really like those onramps.. I haven't bought the game yet and so haven't tried it out, but it seems really.. odd.. and wonky. So your onramp is a 3 lane 1 way street, and your offramp is.. a separate 3 lane 1 way street.. Okay that's kind of weird, I've never seen a setup like that anywhere, ever. But let's go with it..

What I would want to do with that is connect it to a 6 lane avenue running through the middle of town. So at the end of the avenue it splits in two and those 2 roads connect directly to the highway. Is this possible?

Any other solution I can think of seems "silly" and not realistic in any way. Why'd they do it this way? Or am I missing something? Everything else I'm seeing about the game so far is really impressing me.

I "upgraded" my ramps in a misguided attempt to improve throughput.

Also, this game really needs an autosave feature.

Wow. 40,000 players right now, 1700 reviews, Overwhelmingly Positive. This does appear to be a hit, I might pick it up.

Has anyone tried making a city on the huge maps they advertised (36 square km)? Does it perform decently?

The game has a really flexible ramp system that allows you a lot of leeway in doing what you want. Basic ramps are your run of the mill one-way one-lane stuff, but you can throw in other roads if you're up to it. It's pretty much possible to make any real life interchange if you're capable enough. If you see weird or crazy looking ramps and interchanges, that's because folks made them that way.

Wow. 40,000 players right now, 1700 reviews, Overwhelmingly Positive. This does appear to be a hit, I might pick it up.

Has anyone tried making a city on the huge maps they advertised (36 square km)? Does it perform decently?

Here's some screenshots from a guy who used a mod to unlock all possible 25 tiles, making his city 100 sq km: http://m.imgur.com/a/JYRKu

According to him his game seems too be running fine - though ithe devs have said that the 25 tile cities are not supported and might not work on lower end rigs. Still I've heard that overall the game seems to work smoothly even if you fill up all the default 36 sq km.

The game has a really flexible ramp system that allows you a lot of leeway in doing what you want. Basic ramps are your run of the mill one-way one-lane stuff, but you can throw in other roads if you're up to it. It's pretty much possible to make any real life interchange if you're capable enough. If you see weird or crazy looking ramps and interchanges, that's because folks made them that way.

Ahh so you can change the one you're initially given? From the screenshots I've seen, the highway is actually outside of your initial city limits, so I had assumed you were not able to change it.

Ahh so you can change the one you're initially given? From the screenshots I've seen, the highway is actually outside of your initial city limits, so I had assumed you were not able to change it.

Yeah you can change it if it is within your city limits. Basically while you start the game with one city tile, you can expand to up to nine tiles as your city grows (25 with mods, though this is not supported by the devs). So if you don't like the starting highway interchange and it's not within your city limits, you just need to wait until you can buy the tile - afterwards, it's just a matter of deleting and rebuilding. From what peopl with big cities have said, you will have to do a lot of building and rebuilding with regards to the highways to make it adapt well to your growing city.

Oh man, it has literally been years since I've had a video game keep me up until 2am with the ease this game has. I spent hours just in the map editor creating maps with rivers and elevated lakes and another couple hours building on a Seattle map I generated from some heightmaps.

Apparently someone already made a first person camera mod and uploaded it to steam:

Spoiler :

Impressive, if I have to say so, that the modding scene is already growing pretty fast even though it's only the day after release.

*drools

I want this game so much.

Can't wait for a sale or a job!

I made myself a Portland map to build on and started building my version of Portland!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I'm adopting the same broken grid the real Portland has.

Try playing the SimCity 3000 soundtrack in the background while playing. It's really magical.

Top Bottom