Conquests: Middle Ages strategy/tip thread

dalgo said:
A quick question, the Victory Status screen shows 'Conquest' as a victory option. Is this even possible? Surely the Domination victory will kick in long before you can eliminate all rivals?
Agreed, domination must surely take precedence over conquest.

FreeTheSlaves said:
Agreed, domination must surely take precedence over conquest.

No, Conquest is always an option, as long as you raze rather than capture cities, you'll never come near the Domination limit. In this scenario in particular (and any that have Regicide enabled), it's actually 'easier' than domination, if you know where all the king/queen units are located, you just kill them, and *POOF*, :eek: there goes another civ. In reality, it's not that easy, as in the process, you'll be accumulating a huge number of Victory Points, and will easily exceed the VP ceiling well before you kill all the civs, unless you're playing at a very easy difficulty level.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
I'll paste here some thoughts I contributed to a discussion @ Apolyton.

Viking way to victory? Get Relics ASAP, and return them. The English one starts in their coastal capitol, any Viking Civ can grab it around turn 5. The French one is in Paris, pretty near to the coast again, grab it around turn 10. You'll need some time before you have researched Seafaring, to get enough boats for the crusade, but around turn 45 you should have deliverd 2 Relics. Kill stuff, VP victory around turn 55 on Deity is doable.

Really? Can you post a save?

I'm playing this on Monarch right now. Swedes can't get to Cheltenham until Turn 6 & it isn't coastal (2 tiles inland). In my view they don't have the troops to immediately assualt Paris.

Sacking Cheltenham & picking up the treasure = Turns 6-8, back to boats & healing takes till around Turn 12. Declaring War on France & getting to Paris would not be possible before Turn 15, I think. Even assuming no losses against England, chances of success against France would be at best 50:50.

Ok,we needed 69 turns. :rolleyes:

Deity Danes

English Relic in turn 3, Frankish one in turn 10.

But if I'd really head for it, I could finish 10 turns earlier (eliminating England, for example).

Note you of course need longer on Monarch, since the AI has less units to kill (when you eliminate a Civ, you get the unit kill VPs for their entire forces), and smaller cities.
And Chippenham is coastal, btw.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Ok,we needed 69 turns. :rolleyes:

Deity Danes

English Relic in turn 3, Frankish one in turn 10.

But if I'd really head for it, I could finish 10 turns earlier (eliminating England, for example).

Note you of course need longer on Monarch, since the AI has less units to kill (when you eliminate a Civ, you get the unit kill VPs for their entire forces), and smaller cities.
And Chippenham is coastal, btw.

'kay I stand corrected, it's coastal - but it takes another turn to round Cornwall to get there. I (Sweden) sacked it in Turn 7, Paris in Turn 15. I'd like to see the game won by Turn 55 - 60, even with higher kill bonuses.

I used this Diety Danes game to learn this scenario :goodjob: . Viking civs
are almost unbeatable, even though Norway is a little more difficult :viking: .
I also like to play the French and Germans-- heritage you know :mischief: .

I started with the burgundians.
The only advice i can give you is: take risks and a lot of them. grab southern italy
and destroy france ASAP move into the Ibirian area and try to build a defence line aginst the germanes for all your building.
Try if you can to take london. Don't forget to fight your way to germany and the balkan countries to byzantium.
(i went through land)(hell of a job)
when i was done i hada lot of vps becuase i brought in all the relics and smashed europe :lol:

philippe said:
I started with the burgundians.
The only advice i can give you is: take risks and a lot of them. grab southern italy
and destroy france ASAP move into the Ibirian area and try to build a defence line aginst the germanes for all your building.
Try if you can to take london. Don't forget to fight your way to germany and the balkan countries to byzantium.
(i went through land)(hell of a job)
when i was done i hada lot of vps becuase i brought in all the relics and smashed europe :lol:

What difficulty level were you playing? :scan:

So far I've played this one twice. The first time as England, I filled one of my galleys with an army of swords and sent it to take Jerusulem. After taking Jerusulem, the Abbasids beat on me for a while before finally giving up and making peace. Next I concentrated on taking the British isles from the Celts. I also took Brittany to give me a nice foothold on the continent for later. I got extra lucky and Dublin, held by Norway culture flipped to me, so I used it as a base to take out Ireland. :goodjob:
After taking out the Celts and claiming Scotland I concentrated on infa for a while. Built the Domesday Tomb and HRE in a close race with Poland. Didn't bother with Bayeux Tapestry since I already had rax built in all my British cities and couldn't get one built in Brittany fast enough.
After getting my infra built I focused on building an invasion force to take out France. After taking them out I seized their relic and headed to Jerusulem. I won with a Victory point victory about five turns before my galley made it there.

Abassid Hitman Mod
The second game I modified so that assasins could kill kings. I played as Abbasids and went for a conquest victory. I figured the only way to do this without winning by victory points first was to take out just the kings and nothing else. I upped the cost for assasins to about 80 to try to balance the ultimate power I gave them.
My first target was Byzantium, before they could build spies and detect my little invasion. First I investigated their cities to find out where their kings were hiding, and made a beeline for those three cities. I knew I was going to take a massive rep hit by playing this way using a sneak attack, but since my goal was total world destruction, I figured it wouldn't matter in the end. I had to be careful moving my units because of the invisibility bug. A couple nations accidentally rolled over my assasin and automatically started war with me. Oops. I then realised I could use this to my advantage.
For the Turks I used a ROP to get my units in faster, and then positioned one of my assasins so he'd get run over. That way it was the Turks breaking the treaty and taking the rep hit. Yes, I know that's a bit of an exploit. :mischief: I slowly took down each nation one by one, but ended up with a victory point victory before I could take England, the Celts, Norway, Sweden ect... I managed to get almost the entire continent to myself though. The whole game took a while simply because it took so long to get my units across the whole map, and had to be extra careful about approaching units. At first I thought that this game was going to be a rollover, and was playing it just for fun, but it turned out to be tougher than I thought to get that conquest victory.

Returning a relic is a really good strategy as Byzantium an early capture of Jerusalem and then a war against Burgandy. After you capture the Shroud you can just walk the relic to Jerusalem plus if you keep Jerusalem you get VP every turn. Then it's a pretty easy victory.

As Cordova strategy is simple:
1.Research Norse tradition to access viking tech tree (for blacksmiths!)
2.Research and buy techs until you've got Jihad
3.Mass produce Ansars.
4.Destroy Castililia
5.Keep producing Ansars
6.Destroy Franks (with the help of Burgundy)
7.Keep producing Ansars
8.Destroy Burgundy (again with the help of neighbor civs)
9.Keep producing Ansars
10.Destroy Germany (with the help of neighbors)
11. Keep producing Ansars
12. If you yet haven't won destroy once again some nearby civ
:king:

There are also many nice Great wonders to have, like Domesday book, Bayeux tapestry, Hanseatic league and Holy Roman empire.

Grohan said:
As Cordova strategy is simple:
1.Research Norse tradition to access viking tech tree (for blacksmiths!)

This is really good advice. Whoever I play as, I always try to get into the Viking tech tree for blacksmiths. I like being a builder so for me it's one of the best techs available.

Sorry about this, but how hard is it to get domination with the English? I've only really played as the Danes and Franks and want to try something new for Demigod...

If you do your cherry-picking right, I think Byzantines/Rus might be able to eek Domination on Emperor or DG... you don't get many VP for conquering cities that have been beaten down a lot...

To: Doc Tsiolkovski

I saw that you almost always donated your cities to Celts. Is it because of danger of cultural flip or something else? I was trying to play as Norway on Deity but when number of my cities was ~30 I had 2-5 cultural flips per turn that was annoying.

Top Bottom