A Few Random Questions

azzaron

Chieftain
Hey all,

I just recently came back to Civ3 after a 4 year hiatus, and I'm having a blast playing it again! That being said, I'm confused by a couple of things and the FAQs and guides don't seem to be able to help me out. I'm playing Vanilla v1.27f (the most recent version) by the way...

1. Can the Iron Works small wonder be built more than once by the same civilization if two cities happen to have both iron and coal within its radius?

2. Is there any way for me to view my current trade agreements? This includes who they are with, what's in them as well as when they will expire.

3. Does abandoning a city induce the same reputation penalty as razing one?

4. (Keep in mind I'm using Vanilla for this one) What are the goodly hut percentages for various things based on difficulty level and whether or not you have the expansionist trait?

5. Do goodly huts still appear even if you have barbarians turned off? I'm pretty sure this is the case, but it my last game I turned barbarians off (which is rare) and didn't come across any despite massive exploration. Did I just get unlucky?

6. As I'm using Vanilla, a Forbidden Palace decreases corruption in all the cities which are closer to it than the original Palace. Soooo, I've pretty much always tried to save it to place in the third or fourth ring with an idea of starting another set of rings. However, those cities rarely finish their infastructure and become productive late-game anyway. Am I waiting too long to build it? In your experience, would it make more sense to just build it in the second ring nearest to the civ you are targetting for a hostile takeover? Please keep in mind that this is for the top two difficulty levels (I rarely play below that).

7. In Vanilla (so no Facism), late-game I usually want to be in war constantly. Due to war weariness, that only really leaves me with Monarchy or Communism - which government would you recommend? Also, I've heard lots of talk about having to "plan for Communism" because of the shared corruption - can someone please elaborate on that... my income always goes in the gutter when I switch from Republic (which I use when war weariness hasn't gotten TOO high yet) to Communism.

8. Some buildings are "tourist attractions". What does this mean and what benefit does it provide you?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!!

1. Iron Works can be built only once. Unless it flips, get razed or captured - then you can build it in another city (I presume... ;) ). But hey - two possible IW cities on a map! Never happened to me unless pre Steam Power.

2. Call up a leader and click 'active deals/agreements' (sorry - can't recall the exact phrase).

3. Dunno, don't think so...

4. I know there are articles on this forum about this. I'll have to search. Later mate.

5. I believe that you turn the whole sircus off if you remove barbs.

6. FP locations are always a matter of taste and I must use the old Padma quote here: 'It depends'. I used to do some kind of ellipse thing in Vanilla - FP and Palace the focal points...

7. I'm not used to AW games. I tend to do warfare in short bursts unless I'm getting DOW'ed.

8. Tourist attraction will give you cash if they are older than 1000 years. There's certainly more info about that on this forum.

Finally - welcome to CFC!

:)

1. No
2. Trade adviser can give brief details, otherwise go to foreign adviser. Then you will see a box in the bottom-right corner of the screen which shows the trades and treaties with the highlighted civ and when they expire. That's for conquests tho, I've never played vanilla
3. No
5. No
7. For a smaller empire with maybe about twice as many cities as players in the game or less, Monarchy. Bigger than that, I'd go for Communism.
8. After a thousand years, certain wonders will start producing 2 gpt, and this amount increases as the wonder gets older. Go into the civlopedia/game concepts/tourist attractions for much more info on the subject.

And welcome to the CFC, azzaron

Hey all,

I just recently came back to Civ3 after a 4 year hiatus, and I'm having a blast playing it again! That being said, I'm confused by a couple of things and the FAQs and guides don't seem to be able to help me out. I'm playing Vanilla v1.27f (the most recent version) by the way...

1. Can the Iron Works small wonder be built more than once by the same civilization if two cities happen to have both iron and coal within its radius?

I doubt it.

2. Is there any way for me to view my current trade agreements? This includes who they are with, what's in them as well as when they will expire.

You need to call up a civ, click "We want to propose a deal" and then click on the "active trades" tab somewhere at the bottom. Unfortunately there is nothing where you could view all of the trades.

3. Does abandoning a city induce the same reputation penalty as razing one?

There is no reputation penalty anyway; it only has consequences wrt attitude. But I think it is the same then for razing as for abandoning.

4. (Keep in mind I'm using Vanilla for this one) What are the goodly hut percentages for various things based on difficulty level and whether or not you have the expansionist trait?

5. Do goodly huts still appear even if you have barbarians turned off? I'm pretty sure this is the case, but it my last game I turned barbarians off (which is rare) and didn't come across any despite massive exploration. Did I just get unlucky?

"No barbarians" means no goody huts either. But there is a setting called "sedentary," which means that there won't appear camps which constantly spawn barb warriors or galleys somewhere in the mist, but goody huts are still around. With sedentary on, you can only get barbs from goody huts.

As a slight aside, you cannot get barbs from goody huts if you are either expansionist, have no military, or pop it by founding a city right next to it.

6. As I'm using Vanilla, a Forbidden Palace decreases corruption in all the cities which are closer to it than the original Palace. Soooo, I've pretty much always tried to save it to place in the third or fourth ring with an idea of starting another set of rings. However, those cities rarely finish their infastructure and become productive late-game anyway. Am I waiting too long to build it? In your experience, would it make more sense to just build it in the second ring nearest to the civ you are targetting for a hostile takeover? Please keep in mind that this is for the top two difficulty levels (I rarely play below that).

The placement of the Forbidden Placement is quite a complex topic, especially in Vanilla. I like the idea of establishing a second core that centers around the FP. But I fear for these kind of empires you are going to need leaders.

Without a leader, try first (smaller maps) or second ring (larger maps) as your FP city and shoot for a somewhat elliptical shaped empire.

7. In Vanilla (so no Facism), late-game I usually want to be in war constantly. Due to war weariness, that only really leaves me with Monarchy or Communism - which government would you recommend? Also, I've heard lots of talk about having to "plan for Communism" because of the shared corruption - can someone please elaborate on that... my income always goes in the gutter when I switch from Republic (which I use when war weariness hasn't gotten TOO high yet) to Communism.

I think you would benefit more by learing to avoid War Weariness, IOW by adapting you fighting style. Oystein's article on WW in the War Academy should be of the biggest benefit in figuring out what exactly causes how much WW.

As to Communism, one of the biggest problems is that it works fundamentally different from all the other governments. So for most of the game you have to utilize city spacings and placements that go right against the grain of Communism.

8. Some buildings are "tourist attractions". What does this mean and what benefit does it provide you?

This is not in Vanilla. I am not sure if it was introduced in PTW or Conquests.

Thank you so much for all of the feedback, everyone! That was very helpful!!!

I had a recent game in which I did have 2 cities with iron and coal in their radii. If I set one town to building the IW, it was grayed out in the other city. So I'd say no, you can't build it in two separate cities. What I don't know is whether you could build it in a second city, if the first city in which you built it is captured or destroyed.

Aabraxan is correct, you cannot build it in more than one place, same as other wonders.

Hey all,

Use it in captured cities from the enemy.
When you're in repo, start a big war at some high flying continent and when the WW bites, make sure you have anough units attacking, go into anarchy, take the big cities and the cities around them and switch to commie.
Then whip foreigners for buildings (and less whining) and build the Secret Palace to make your 3rd or 4th city core productive.

Top Bottom