CFC's Top Recommended Historical Works

Volume 1 of Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality literally wrote the book on the field, though there must be more modern takes on it.

Worth reading but his details and examples are mostly based on french history. As with all his books. But something good can be said about that: the man wrote about what he could (and did) research thoroughly. If he had only presented his ideas

My list of recommended books:

Spies and Commissars by Robert Service. I know Cheezy has a problem with Robert Service with his occasional Cold Warrior nonsense, but I didn't really find any of that in this book. This book is on the Russian Revolution and the Russian Civil War with a focus on the backroom diplomacy, spies, and subterfuge occurring between the Soviets and everyone else. It really was a fascinating book that I felt covered the subject with a surprisingly even hand. Plus, the only other book that I've read that dealt with this subject in-depth was more or less a hack job ascribing to Lenin and Dzherznitsky just about every bad trait or bad event that occurred during the Revolution and held them personally responsible for it.

The Global Cold War by Odd Arne Westad. The author does an excellent job covering the development of the Cold War in the developing world, including the Malaysian Emergency, Mau-Mau Uprising, and the Congo Crisis.

Shake Hands With the Devil by Romeo Dallaire. While not a history book, Dallaire's personal experience as force commander of UNAMIR during the genocide offers a fascinating account both into that period and insight into the struggles of peacekeeping operations.

The State of Africa by Martin Meredith. (Also published as The Fate of Africa depending on printing. I read State of Africa and I'm 99% sure they are the same book.) A well written and researched account of African politics since 1950. Due to the sheer size of the subject it occasionally gets a bit unwieldy but he generally keeps things in focus. It is an excellent overview of the continent that along with Shake Hands With the Devil and The Global Cold War cemented my interest in the Cold War in sub-Saharan Africa.)

I almost recommended Africa's World War by Gerard Prunier, but decided against it as it focuses exclusively on the Second Congo Crisis and Africa's World War. As detailed as it is, the book is an absolute doorstop that frequently tends toward overwhelming due to the sheer gambit pileup that occurred in 90's Africa.

Robert Fisk's The Great War for Civilization also almost makes the list, but misses out due whatever one thinks of Fisk as a journalist, as a historian Fisk is pretty terrible. Then again, the events he served as eyewitness to are rapidly becoming history so, make of that what you will.

Pangur Bán said:
State-sponsored warrior religious cult with a grand temple at Vilnius? Sacrifices of fully-armed German knights to the Baltic gods? Pagan kings with German Franciscans and Russian monks issuing charters in their name in German, Latin and Russian, while trying to get the Byzantine Empire to give them a metropolitan? Rulers converting back and forth between paganism, Orthodoxy and Catholicism depending on political opportunity and eventually ruling the biggest territory in Europe west of the Horde?

Just as a sidenote - archaeological reconstruction of the first Medieval Lithuanian capital city, Kernavė:

Link to video.

Dude, it looks more like a Total War city than a real one.

I have a new enquiry. Any books you could recommend on early 20th Century China? People, parties, factions within and without the Republic are my main points of interest.

Oops, sorry.

Top Bottom