Immigration to the USA throughout history

Considering how much Anti-Polish sentiment is there in the U.S., I'm surprised 10 million Americans are bold enough to report their Polish ancestry. I wonder how many more Americans also have Polish roots but are so intimidated by Anti-Polish attitudes, that they are reporting some other ancestry (for example German, Russian, etc.) or not reporting any. Surely a lot of Polish-Americans also changed their surnames to English-sounding ones, just like German-Americans during WW1 and WW2. But while Germans only used to be disliked in the USA during WW1 and WW2, Poles have been disliked in the USA for a longer time.

No one seriously cares about being Polish over here. Americans barely know what Poland is. It's that country that caused all that trouble and ended up communist and poor. We much prefer talking about ourselves.

Americans really focus all of their hate on Arabs, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, and black people. They don't have much left over for different parts of Europe.

It's that country that caused all that trouble

Germany started WW2, not Poland. You should focus on it if you are German-American.

and ended up communist and poor.

We are catching up with Western European level of richness very quickly in recent years.

I posted statistical data on this in other threads if you are interested (but you are not interested).

Americans really focus all of their hate on Arabs, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, and black people.

Also Italy, Cuba, India, Indonesia, Brazil, Korea, Canada, Sri Lanka, Australia and France:

(the best answer is by General Patton #2 at 0:06 second of the video):

Link to video.

Nobody of these German-Americans mentioned Poland. Poland is for German-Europeans.

I've never heard any anti-Polish sentiment. Some old folks like to make jokes about Polish people but they're not made with malice.

Most of Germans came post-unification.

Well, we're talking about Germans that don't identify as Germans. With the probable exception of the Amish, the majority are likely pre-unification. Don't think it changes my point either way, though.

Yes I know that most of Americans don't care about anything except for America.

I disagree with this. I think they certainly care about Ireland, Italy, and a few other places. Hell, I do think Polish-Americans care about their Polish identity. There's a bar in Philadelphia called IrishPol that is dedicated to Irish-Polish Americans.

Americans really focus all of their hate on Arabs, Russians, Chinese, Japanese, and black people. They don't have much left over for different parts of Europe.
And Italians. What hatred I see for the Poles is because they're basically Italians.

With the probable exception of the Amish, the majority are likely pre-unification.

How can majority be pre-unification if over 2/3 of German immigration was post-unification (since 1871)?

As for the Amish - aren't the Amish equal to Pennsylvania Germans / Pennsylvania Dutch?

And in such case, the Amish are actually the oldest group of German-Americans:

In 1790 census, nearly 4/5 of all Germans in the USA lived in Pennsylvania.

===================================

Note:

In New Jersey, Georgia, Delaware, Kentucky and Tennessee no info about ethnicity was collected during that census.

In Virginia most white people simply identified as locals / Americans / Virginians - they had no specific European ethnicity.

But among those who actually stated their ethnicity in Virginia, vast majority (85%) were English or Welsh.

Louis explicitly said that he was talking about 'Germans who do not identify as German' - in other words, people who came over before there really was a 'Germany', or who created their own identity. I'd suggest though that there must be quite a few immigrants from Germany from circa 1936 onwards who identify as 'Jewish-American' more than 'German-American', or else are relatively quiet about their ethnic ancestry.

people who came over before there really was a 'Germany'

That there was no united Germany doesn't mean that those people did not identify as Germans.

Or that they did not start to identify as German-Americans later, which is also very likely.

Actually the Amish have identified themselves as "Pennsylvania Germans", even though they are more like Dutch people.

========================================

Most of ancestors of Polish-Americans came to the USA before there really was a 'Poland' (i.e. before 1918).

Moreover, many of them descent from Polish-speaking ethnographic groups such as Silesians, Prussian Mazurs, Kashubs, etc., etc.

Yet they mostly identify as Polish-Americans today (for example Silesian-Americans numbered only 272 people in 2000 census).

But I suppose that many of Mazur-Americans probably identify themselves as German-Americans rather than Polish-Americans today.

For some reason in the USA places with many Polish-Americans and with many German-Americans tend to be the same places.

One example - in the town of Bevent, Wisconsin, 61.0% of inhabitants report Polish ancestry and 30.6% report German ancestry.

In total 91.6% of the population of Bevent (100% = 1118 people) report either Polish or German ancestry. Quite intriguing.

And in my area it is mostly Norwegian. When people came here over a hundred years ago they wanted to be near others who spoke their language.

But in any case, the largest ancestry group in the USA is not "German".

The largest ancestry group in the USA (as of 2000 census) is "Not reported":

So probably Pangur Ban is right (especially that "American" ancestry are also mostly English surnames).

Check detailed data in the attached file:

Assuming 'not reported' is all English, then it would be. But that's just not true. Not reported could indeed be people not wanted to be associated with the Brits....or Germans or Polish, or a mixture of them so they are indecisive about what to pick, or they simply do not know.

I've read that 50% of population growth between 2000 and 2010 was Latino-American growth.

So the overall structure of ancestry probably did not change much, except for Hispanic-Americans.

I couldn't find detailed data from 2010 census - at least not in one easily accessible document.

Data from wikipedia is faulty because it summs up First and Second ancestries altogether. Doing like this you are going to arrive at the summ of all ancestries being much higher than the total number of people living in the USA. When a person reports 2 ancestries it doesn't mean this person are 2 people...

This is why I decided to count only First Ancestry reports, in order not to get more ancestries than people.

Most people anywhere in the world have mixed ancestry. It only differs when it comes to how many generations ago.

In 2000 census people could only report First Ancestry and Second Ancestry. So just two of them at the most.

I tend to agree with Pangur Ban that British - or even just English - is the largest ethnic group.

Especially that majority of people who report "American" ancestry have English and Scottish roots.

"Americans" could already be found as majority of white population of Virginia in 1790 census.

People who reported being "Americans" early on, were mostly religious refugees from the British Isles.

Being religious refugees, they had no love for their previous homeland - thus they reported "American" identity.

Did you declare English (First) and Scottish (Second) also in the census?

=====================================

When it comes to this graph posted above:

Can, Aus, NZ = Canada, Australia, New Zealand
BIS = British Isles
CEu = Central Europe (here for example German ancestry is included)
WEu = Western Europe (I included here also Italian)
Eu = Eastern Europe (I included here also Polish, Romanian and Russian)
Scn = Scandinavian (I included here also Finland)
Balk = Balkan (also Greek ancestry is here)
Generic Eu = vast majority of this group is "European" ancestry

If you want to see in detail which ancestries I included in each group, check the attachment.

And when giving the opportunity of listing two choices for ancestry, not everyone is going to list the most dominant one first. What if they are 50/50 and they just list them in alphabetical order? My grandpa was born here, but since his parents came from Norway and spoke Norwegian all the time he spoke some and passed some of it to his kids. My mothers side of the family has no Norwegian in it, my dad's dad did not marry a Norwegian, so I'm less than 50% norwegian, but that's what I would put as the first choice, just because it was talked about more in the family (he was the grandparent who lived closest to us and lived the longest). Other parts of my ancestry include German, Scottish and English.

How can majority be pre-unification if over 2/3 of German immigration was post-unification (since 1871)?

As for the Amish - aren't the Amish equal to Pennsylvania Germans / Pennsylvania Dutch?

And in such case, the Amish are actually the oldest group of German-Americans:

In 1790 census, nearly 4/5 of all Germans in the USA lived in Pennsylvania.

While English were the majority in 1790 (although had they been counted Africans would have been the majority) they were quickly matched in the post 1820 immigration wave.

Between 1820 and 1930 there were 2 million more Germans than English added. Germans immigration to the US continued to outpace immigration from the UK until 1970.

http://immigrationinamerica.org/393-british-immigrants.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American

(although had they been counted Africans would have been the majority)

Nope - Africans were 757,181 in year 1790 - including 697,624 slaves and 59,557 free people.

Between 1820 and 1930 there were 2 million more Germans than English added.

That was still not enough to surpass the number of British-Americans, IMO.

BTW - what wikipedia gives as "German Immigration", are in fact not only ethnic Germans.

This is immigration from German countries, which includes also Non-German citizens of those states.

Assuming 'not reported' is all English, then it would be. But that's just not true. Not reported could indeed be people not wanted to be associated with the Brits....or Germans or Polish, or a mixture of them so they are indecisive about what to pick, or they simply do not know.

Here I agree. And remember that these "not reported" for sure include also some people who have Non-European origins.

And when giving the opportunity of listing two choices for ancestry, not everyone is going to list the most dominant one first. What if they are 50/50 and they just list them in alphabetical order? My grandpa was born here, but since his parents came from Norway and spoke Norwegian all the time he spoke some and passed some of it to his kids. My mothers side of the family has no Norwegian in it, my dad's dad did not marry a Norwegian, so I'm less than 50% norwegian, but that's what I would put as the first choice, just because it was talked about more in the family (he was the grandparent who lived closest to us and lived the longest). Other parts of my ancestry include German, Scottish and English.

Surely, it is often the matter of preference. But I assume that many people prefer to be German than - say - Spanish.

Especially since there is this propaganda that German-Americans are the most numerous group, surpassing British-Americans.

BTW - maybe you are less than 50% Norwegian but still you are more Norwegian than any of the other three options.

Considering how much Anti-Polish sentiment is there in the U.S...

What?!?

Actually the Amish have identified themselves as "Pennsylvania Germans", even though they are more like Dutch people.

Uh, no. "Dutch" is simply a somewhat archaic use of the term that gave rise to both Dutch proper and modern Deutsch. The Pennsylvania Dutch are decidedly German, mostly from the Palatinate, as well as Alsatians and Swiss. Until recently, many of them spoke a distinct dialect of German, Pennsylvania German.

As for the Amish, who are only one small element of the Pennsylvania Dutch, they are mostly descended from Alsatian and Swiss-German Anabaptists. They, and all the other Pennsylvania Dutch, are without doubt German in origin.

Nope - Africans were 757,181 in year 1790 - including 697,624 slaves and 59,557 free people.

That was still not enough to surpass the number of British-Americans, IMO.

BTW - what wikipedia gives as "German Immigration", are in fact not only ethnic Germans.

This is immigration from German countries, which includes also Non-German citizens of those states.

Here I agree. And remember that these "not reported" for sure include also some people who have Non-European origins.

Surely, it is often the matter of preference. But I assume that many people prefer to be German than - say - Spanish.

Especially since there is this propaganda that German-Americans are the most numerous group, surpassing British-Americans.

BTW - maybe you are less than 50% Norwegian but still you are more Norwegian than any of the other three options.

Of my four grandparents, one was Norwegian. I'm not counted as a German-American, Scottish-American, or British American merely because Norwegian was slightly more influential?

If it's preference then that can explain the misconception (if it is one and not the truth) that Germans are more numerous than Brits. Oktoberfest is more interesting than.....I can't think of any English-American or English heritage festivals in the the US. Thanksgiving may have been influenced by the English (harvest festivals), but nobody views it like that.

So if a Brit marries a german and have a child, that child can only be one or the other and not both?

Similar here. Mom's family identifies as Irish. Dad's family has an English name, but has been in the US since before the Revolutionary War, and never talks about being of English ancestry.

Uh, no. "Dutch" is simply a somewhat archaic use of the term that gave rise to both Dutch proper and modern Deutsch. The Pennsylvania Dutch are decidedly German, mostly from the Palatinate, as well as Alsatians and Swiss. Until recently, many of them spoke a distinct dialect of German, Pennsylvania German.

Dutch itself was considered a dialect of German until relatively recently. The line between a dialect and a language is rather thin - Bismarck allegedly quipped that a language is just a dialect with an army and a navy.

So if a Brit marries a german and have a child, that child can only be one or the other and not both?

AFAIK, you can declare up to two ancestries in U.S. censuses - so yes, such a child can declare both.

When it comes to your case, you have four grandparents, each of different ancestry, but you can only declare two.

Ask the U.S. Census Bureau why there are no more options available than two - they are the boss here.

If I were you, I would declare British-Norwegian. Norwegian is "exotic", while both English and Scottish count as British.

Bismarck allegedly quipped that a language is just a dialect with an army and a navy.

Bismarck was a wise bastard, no doubt about it.

Nice quote from W. Kruszko's 1905 book (I provided a link to it before):

Kiedym pana Samuela Jones, długoletniego mayora (burmistrza) miasta Toledo, zapytał ilu ma Polaków w swojem mieście? Odparł mi on najpierw: "Ja nie znam w swojem mieście ani Polaków, ani Niemców, ani Francuzów — ja znam tylko Amerykanów". Ja mu wtenczas na to: "Panie Mayor, a ja nie znam nie tylko Polaków, Niemców, Francuzów, ja nawet Amerykanów nie znam — ja znam tylko ludzi!" Pan Jones na to nic nie odpowiedział, tylko bez dalszego rezonowania, wydał następujące piśmienne poświadczenie, że w Toledo mieszka przeszło 14,000 Polaków.

Translation:

When I asked Mr Samuel Jones, long-standing mayor (burmistrz) of the city of Toledo, how many Poles does he have in his city? At first he answered to me: "In my city I don't know any Poles, or Germans, or French - I know only Americans". And then I replied to that: "Mr Mayor, and I don't know not only any Poles, Germans, French, I don't even know any Americans - I know only humans!" Mr Jones did not reply to this, but instead without any further deliberation, he issued the following written declaration, that in Toledo there live over 14,000 Poles.

==================================================

I made a map basing on data from this Polish-American 1905 book and from website linked below:

Total population by state:

http://www.demographia.com/db-state1900.htm

Data concerning number of Poles ca. year 1900:

Spoiler :

Pennsylvania - ca. 350,000 (and 112 Polish settlements, and 85 Polish churches)
New York - ca. 340,000 (and 90 Polish settlements, and 46 Polish churches)
Illinois - ca. 300,000 (and 56 Polish settlements, and 49 Polish churches)
New England (3 states listed below) - ca. 160,000 (and 70 Polish settlements, and 30 Polish churches):
*** Massachussetts - ca. 100,000
*** Connecticut - ca. 50,000
*** Rhode Island - ca. 10,000
Wisconsin - ca. 150,000 (and 101 Polish settlements, and 76 Polish churches)
Michigan - ca. 140,000 (and 73 Polish settlements, and 48 Polish churches)
Minnesota - ca. 80,000 (and 60 Polish settlements, and 47 Polish churches)
Ohio - ca. 80,000 (and 30 Polish settlements, and 15 Polish churches)
New Jersey - ca. 70,000 (and 30 Polish settlements, and 16 Polish churches)
Indiana - ca. 33,800 (and 39 Polish settlements, and 18 Polish churches)
Nebraska - ca. 29,000 (and 29 Polish settlements, and 20 Polish churches)
Missouri - ca. 28,700 (and 12 Polish settlements, and 11 Polish churches)
Maryland - ca. 25,700
Texas - ca. 19,750 (and 34 Polish settlements, and 30 Polish churches)
North Dakota - ca. 16,600 (and 11 Polish settlements and 5 Polish churches)
South Dakota - ca. 9,950
Delaware - ca. 8,000
Kansas - ca. 8,000
California - ca. 6,000
New Hampshire - ca. 5,000
Arkansas - ca. 5,000

All other states - ca. 50,000

GRAND TOTAL:

Around 1.9 - 2.0 million (out of total U.S. population of ca. 76 million) and 810 Polish settlements, and 517 Polish churches.

Some additional note:

"Polish settlements" were settlements which were mostly Polish, or had some Polish district, or some large Polish community.

Apart from living in Polish communities in such settlements, many Polish families also lived dispersed all over other places.

So not all of those 1.9 - 2.0 million in year 1900 lived in those 810 settlements. Some of them lived in other places.

Map:

http://postimg.org/image/8j7n2iyt1/full/

Of course after year 1900 there continued to be further large influx of Polish immigration to the U.S.

============================================

Here an interesting map of Non-English languages which are spoken in the USA:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/..._the_most_popular_language_in_your_state.html

Nowadays vast majority of Polish-American speak English and most of them can't speak Polish at all.

But in 1900 it was quite dfferently - most of Polish-Americans couldn't speak English fluently at that time.

In 1900 they were speaking Polish and many of them could also speak German or Russian as secondary languages.

Louis explicitly said that he was talking about 'Germans who do not identify as German' - in other words, people who came over before there really was a 'Germany', or who created their own identity. I'd suggest though that there must be quite a few immigrants from Germany from circa 1936 onwards who identify as 'Jewish-American' more than 'German-American', or else are relatively quiet about their ethnic ancestry.

That's a fair point. I hadn't considered them. I still think the odds are the majority are pre-unification, though, but it's closer than I had considered.

That there was no united Germany doesn't mean that those people did not identify as Germans.

I will try to break this down into as simple language as possible. There are four groups of German immigrants.

1. Germans who identify as Germans and arrived before unification
2. Germans who do not identify as Germans (or do identify as Americans) and arrived before unification.
3. Germans who identify as Germans and arrived after unification.
4. Germans who do not identify as Germans (or do identify as Americans) and arrived after unification.

Just looking at categories 2 and 4, it is likely that the majority of people that belong to these two categories arrived before unification (i.e., there are more descendants of category 2 than category 4).

However, I think my original point was actually to emphasize that, between 1 and 2, I'd imagine that 2 is the larger group. That's why I excluded the Amish, who would likely still fall under category 1.

Top Bottom