Windows 8

Garvarg

Playing with fire
Does anyone know if this program is usable on Windows 8.
I have the disk from "sold out" games and will have to update my machine. XP recently did a long restart and its better to change machines while I can instead of when I have to.

Thanks

For what it's worth, speaking as someone who's only vaguely computer literate (compared to a lot of the posters here! :worship: ), I've just done a successful (re)install of C3Complete -- download version from GamersGate* -- on my shiny new Win8.1 desktop.

I followed Puppeteer's YouTube-instructions :goodjob: :hatsoff:, but installed to D:\Games\CivIII (1TB hard-drive) rather than the C: (200GB solid-state), which I'm intending to use only for applications whose files aren't likely to be constantly added to, deleted and/or rewritten. This may slow down C3C relatively speaking, but it still loads/ runs a damn sight faster than it did on my old WinXP laptop. Might even be able to play some Large maps now... ;)

The only problem I've noticed so far is some slight text distortion/fuzziness towards the left side of the monitor on the Adviser screens/ during negotiations, which I suspect may be the result of using a higher res/different aspect ratio (1680*1050) than the game was originally designed to support. I can probably live with that though, considering that initially I wasn't even certain that the game would work at all...

Spoiler :
GamersGate specifically warn that C3C won't work on Win7, but I guess that only applies if you use the default install-settings. Their download-version is however still InComplete, since it (still) doesn't include a PTW .exe -- don't know why not, since they did include all the PTW extras, and the Vanilla1.29 .exe.

There is a 'civ3x.bix' in the PTW folder. Not sure what it does, because I haven't tried opening it yet -- is it the basic game rules for PTW? But pesumably if it's a .bix, I wouldn't be able to run it using the Vanilla .exe? I suppose I could play it as a 'PTW-like' Scenario using the C3C .exe -- i.e. with the Blind-barbs, AI-Army-shyness, and Invisible-sub-triggers-war bugs -- but obviously that would kind of defeat the object of actually being able to play PTW...

Maybe it is a bit offtopic, but i would like to mention that C3C works very well on Windows 7 for me. If i compare the loading times with older less sophicated computers, than the advantage is huge. :)

Top Bottom