Final map of Rise of Rome

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
I wonder what other people their empires looks like when they win the game. Therefor I think it would be nice if everyone who still has the final savegame of Rise of Rome could post the final map as shown in the replay. Then I can mix all these maps into one 'average' map. But that's just a bonus. I just like to know where you all ended up. :)

Here's my contribution:

I actually wanted to populate the Iberic peninsula completely, but won before I did that.
Is there someone who left Carthage where they are and went north?

Lost on points to Persia:

I thought I had the game in the box in the first ten turns or so, as Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia and Carthage fell before my legions. Then however, Carthaginian resistance strengthened impressively, and I was bogged down in a very long and very hard war in Africa, southern Gaul and Hispania. My hands tied with dealing with Carthage, I couldn't stop the Celts from building an empire, and when Carthage finally was vanquished, I was forced to attack the Persian superpower in the Balkans to stop them from achieving domination. The red splashes across the Balkans are what four Roman armies and dozens of Legions and Heavy Cav units, supported by hundreds of Gallic Swordsmen, managed to achieve in a some twenty turns of war.

Edit: This on Monarch.

I started out by capturing all of Sicily, which turned out to be a smart move. I then built up troops for a few turns, then launched a naval invasion of mainland Carthage. I captured only Carthago itself at first. I fortified the city and Carthage impaled all of its troops on Carthago's walls for many years. I then slowly progressed by taking cities in Northern Africa and Iberia simultaneously.
I also fought a few wars with the Celts, and eventually banished them to the British isles.

Once the Carthaginians and Celts were completely subdued, I turned my sights on Greece. But, I noticed that they were taking a beating from Persia and the Persians were ahead of me in score because of it. So I ROPed with Greece and attacked the Persians in Anatolia instead. That went fairly quickly thanks to armies full of Legion IIs and Legion IIIs. When I was finished there, my army turned around and attacked Greece, and I achieved a Domination victory while in the middle of my conquest of them.

I should add that the Hadrian's Wall wonder was a life-saver in this game. It has the effects of both the Conquests and pre-Conquests Great Wall! Every new city I captured instantly had a double-strength wall! I didn't have to go on the defensive much, but when I did, those helped out a lot.

This was as Rome on Regent level. Won by domination. If I remeber correctly, Persia had just attacked me several turns before I won. So, there was about to be alot more red on that map :lol:

Bright day
has everybody played only as Rome? Played as Greece so far only on Warlord, conquered almost all Persia ( Sumer fell to Carthaginans), whole Scythia and something I propably wouldn't be able to achieve on higher dificulty- whole Italia and Gallia-before-Alps (What is real name?) from Rome. Even on Warlord war with Rome costed me about hundred units- too bad for them I attacked with four hundred. The numbers were surprise to me, I do not have usually large armies, yet here I had about six to seven hundred total. Have somebody else experienced this?

Game on Regent. The Celts were the first to fall, followed by the Carthaginians (moving on them through Carthago and northern Spain). Persia made its move against Greece, and I didn't want to miss out on my chance, so I helped finish off Greece, then turned my Legions upon Persia (who had taken out Egypt) right before I won the scenario. 5 Armies massed against them, they don't stand a chance.

The European settlements are almost all completely of my own doing, including Britain and northern Spain.

Attachments

• ror.jpg
    ror.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,627
I'm only about halfway through this one (Monarch, as the Romans). I've focused my efforts entirely on Carthage, and have just finished them off (actually, the Celts struck the deathblow). I island-hopped directly to Carthago, where I played defense for awhile to ride out their Golden Age before sweeping across North Africa and up into Iberia.

My game seems to be odd in that the Macedonians are winning their war against Persia. This alarms me, as I'm currently building my forces to invade Macedon (overland-- they've got way too many galleys in the Adriatic!) and waiting for my 4 armies to make it home from Iberia. I think I should be able to get at least 2 of the barbarian tribes to join me in the Macedonian campaign. Always good to have some extra targets around.

Attachments

• rormap.jpg
    rormap.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,621
Unfortunately this is the best map I could come up with.

What I did is first invaded Macedon by landing in Albania, and swept all the way to Byzantium. With Macedon eliminated I then turned on Carthage, and later the Celts.

I just finished this scenario as the Romans on Monarch level. Highly enjoyable stuff. Here is my map.

I figured that since the Roman Legionaries were the best defending units that there was no way for me to control when my Golden Age would occur, so on the first turn I took the Carthaginian cities off the coast of Italy in Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica. I planned to build up some forces and go straight for Carthage, however, everyone was declaring war on me (usually in allegiance with Carthage) and the Carthaginians quickly had many more, and faster, ships, which made invading them by sea very problematic. At one point I actually had ships transporting military units to the south of Carthage for an invasion and as my galleys ended their turn a large fleet of Carthaginian ships became visible, so I unloaded all my units onto the adjacent two tile island off the coast of Thenae (Carthage) to see if my galleys would survive the following turn. They did not and it took me quite a while to retrieve my units, though eventually I did. This stalled my attack of Carthage a bit and everyone else was at war with me except Mycenae. So, I attacked the Celts first and pushed them back to Great Britain and then I moved south to push Carthage out of Spain.

I had delayed the construction of the Temple of Artemis for a bit too long and I would have made many civs lose a lot of shields if I had started it only a few turns earlier. No one else had technology to switch to another wonder, but the Mycenaeans completed it in Athens about five turns before I would have (I got Bacchanalia instead, which was quite helpful). The Myceneans also managed to build the Oracle (in Sparta) and the Great Lighthouse (in Miletus). The Mycenaeans were really developing strongly with the ToA and when they declared war on me I was determined to take these nice wonders. I captured Athens and Sparta, but the Persians took Miletus and the Lighthouse. I was so determined to counter the Carthaginian navy and to slow the swift and mighty advance of Persia that after destroying the Mycenaeans I declared war on Persia. I quickly took their newly conquered Mycenaean cities and the Lighthouse and basically encircled the huge army of Persian foot soldiers, who were moving slowly through the mountains, while I had control of the roads that paralleled them. With Fire Catapults and Legionaries I absolutely butchered them, while their cavalry, who apparently had set off south for other targets came riding back too late to help and were slaughtered in turn.

Meanwhile, with the Temple of Artemis and a steady stream of citizens and garrisons pouring into the former Celtic lands, Spain, and the northeast, I reached the victory conditions before destroying Carthage proper (despite what it says in my signature :lol: ).

This was a really fun scenario, though war was epidemic, and everyone, except of course for noble and mighty Caesar, were completely treacherous and dishonorable.

So, as Matrix asked, I certainly didn't leave Carthage alone completely, but in retrospect I probably could have gotten a quicker victory by directing my efforts north.

Herse

EDIT: OMG. :eek: I wrote Mycenae everywhere instead of Macedon. That is bizarre. I wonder why. I must be going My-senile. :crazyeye:

EDIT: Ahhh. . . . I played the Mesopotamia scenario right before the Rise of Rome. In that scenario the Greeks are Mycenae.

Come on people! I want to see Hannibal dancing on the ruins of Forum. How about some Carthagian victory pics?

Originally posted by akillias
do you guys research Education after having built TOA

Yes! Absolutely.
I suspect you ask this because Education renders the Temple of Artemis obsolete in the "epic game." However, in the Rise of Rome scenario there is only one "era" worth of technologies and within the scenario the ToA does not expire, even though one of the included technologies is Education. It is really a valuable Wonder because one of the required Victory Conditions is to hold 20% of the land area (and 50% of the population). So those free temples give a huge boost.

Herse

. . . Although I never built any Universities, and very few libraries, because after Education there were not that many techs left to be researched.

Herse

Over in the Succession Games, there were four games, each played on the four different civs. They are under the RBC3 titles (a,b,c, and d), and played at Diety. Very interesting reading. The Persian, Macedonian, and Carthaginian teams won, and the Roman team lost.

This is from my solo attempt as Rome on Diety level. (although I was obviously already aware of the map, etc. after playing in RBC3 on the Macedon team.) My strategy was to sieze the islands (Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica) in the first 10 turns, then build up in the north. After the 20th turn (I had an alliance I had to let end), I invaded the Celts, while gradually pushing into Spain vs. Carthage. Meanwhile, I used cats and some legions to beat back repeated landings on my islands, but did not attempt to invade North Africa until the end of the BC's. When I did invade, it was from both Spain and a landing in Libya near the Ivory, cutting him off from any new Numidians.

I did get caught up in a short, nervous war with Macedon, but was able to get peace without losing any cities, and a short war with the Goths where I counterattacked w/ heavy cav and took most of their cities. Carthage actually destroyed Egypt, and I had just fought across their at the end, and would have destroyed Carthage's last city (Gaza) on that turn, if I hadn't hit the domination limit.

A couple strategy tips, based on my experience and reading several accounts. First, keep Persia in check, by propping up Macedon if needed. Especially at higher levels, Persia can become a steamroller if you are not careful, and has access to lots of fertile land.

Second, while my normal instinct is to go for a decisive blow against a strong opponent like Carthage, I think going after their capital is actually counterproductive. It's initial location is somewhat isolated relative to the rest of their cities, once you take Sicily they only have half a core, and a limited FP. But if you take Carthage early, the capital tends to jump west, making both their coastal cities and southern Spain productive, and they can expand like crazy in Spain (Fertile, lots of resources) if they aren't hamstrung by corruption.

Finally, although they do have an advantage in fleets, a combination of galleys based on the islands and stacks of cats (and then fire cats), also on the islands, can create good kill ratios against his ships and eventually tip the balance. I tried to get 4-5 galleys, and a stack of 3-4 cats, on both sicily and Sardinia, and then hit his fleets when they would come for landings. (Also keep several legions/cav to counterattack his landing forces when they do arrive). After the cats weakened his ships, I could pick off the wounded and get back to port quicker than he could.

EDIT: Although ToA would be nice to have on this one, on higher levels it is difficult to beat the AI, since Persia and Macedon basically start in a GA the first turn. I focused on getting my Heroic Epic done by turn 11, armies rule in this game, especially heavy cav, and more leaders = more armies. Bacchanalia is definitely worth it though, and with a prebuild it should be easily achievable for Rome, as they have the easiest access to the right luxuries earlier than the others as well.

Great posts & stories, people! Keep 'em coming! :goodjob:

Tomorrow I'll post an 'average Roman map'. :)

Elias Rex, I started a Carthaginian game once, but that was when I was beta tester and the game doesn't work anymore. :(

I played Romans as well (emperor level) - had to try twice, the first attempt I didn't stand a chance against Persia and was much too slow in going after the Carthaginians. Strategic alliances (and tendering to them) was crucial in my game, as was crushing the Carthaginians early so they couldn't turn my allies against me.

While fighting Carthage I expanded with settlers to the east as well as the whole Iberian peninsula. I kept peace with everyone but Carthage, save for a little skirmish with the Germans who were quickly wiped out by the Celts and Scythians. After finally crushing all of Carthage (much culture flipping!) my army had grown to huge proportions and I could quickly walk through Gaul. At this point I was declared winner, but otherwise I could easily have wiped out the other nations as well, this was the biggest army I've ever had in any civ game I've played (I'm usually not a war mongerer). Surprisingly Macedons were clobbered by the Scythians and Persians - they seemed to hold up for a long time, but then some giant Scythian army must have arrived and walked all over them, they simply burnt down city after city in a few short turns.

The Temple of Artemis was crucial to me in securing border expansion, I don't think I could have won without it :)

Is there no-one who tried playing the greeks? Or perhaps Carthago?

I played the greeks, but I have had to format my computer since then. Had a good war against rome.

Top Bottom