Final map of Rise of Rome

Hm, an error came up while trying to load it.

"Missing entry in text/PediaIcons.txt. TECH_Council

The game will now exit.

Happen for you Chieftess?

Make sure you put it in your Conquests directory.

(yes, I know -- quick reply. The wonders of a cable modem! This would've taken me 2-3 minutes with a 56k).

I haven't seen any Persian games yet. I just finished my game with them. I didn't get the domination victory, with 20% of the land but only 48% of the population. It was a histographic victory instead. I used my early golden age to build immortals then conquered Egypt and Macedonia with immortals and heavy calvary. I probably should have attacked Sythia next, but I went peaceful for the rest of the game.

Here is the map.

Originally posted by ironduck
Ahem... http://www.ucalgary.ca/~vandersp/Courses/maps/basicmap.html - the Roman empire at its height was much greater than anyone's conquests in this scenario (the victory condition is quite small)

If you take a look at the average, it is not too far from it, with the exception of the middle east area. If I had photoshop I would make a proper comparison.

Ironduck, it's true that the real Roman empire was much much greater, but I wouldn't want to play that long! :eek:

That is, by the way, a map of rome 200 A.D. Take a look at a map from 300 A.D, and the difference is less (Less of the middle east is taken. As well, when you factor in the greater germanic areas that players have taken, the difference in teritory is not great.

Obviously I disagree, but so what? ;) if you look at the map at the top of the Roman empire (which is basically the game objective, to make Rome the dominant power), the entire eastern part of the map is lacking in the conquests of this scenario.

Either way, I loved this scenario, it was tons of fun!

Apparently no one above is making use of the C3C bug. I was playing Rome in a Regent game. I started with discovering the Celt on the first turn, and started trading with everyone except the Carthage (I hoped I could). It's very easy to drag everybody against the poor Carthage, and I traded workers, and... wait! I can trade cities!!! So I got the Asian city of Egypt and the southern most city by the Nile, a city at Northeast coast of Turkey from Persia, and a city by the Black Sea from the Macedon, just by asking all of them declaring war on Carthage, and sometimes given the Math.

I didn't trade ally with Celt, because I was planning to invade Celt soon, and I didn't want other ally withdraw their promises too soon.

I loaded the open game the other day, and found that Egypt has an extra worker popping out for trade. So I bought it. And with suspition, I save/load the game, and got another popping out from Celt. Then I save/load and nothing else. I got 8 workers on the first turn from 4 AIs. I'm not sure if it's another bug or not.

War on Sicily brought me Golden Age and I started building Wonders on the central cities. I waited for Rome to grow to 7, then i add all 5 slave workers except 3 from Celt into Rome to make it 12. I set up 4 cities chasing Wonders. And got most of them.

One of the road wandering unit found Goth, and Scythia came to my Asia Minor city. I made all of them having war with Carthage.

I won major victories against Celt and offer peace with some other Celt cities. Later, Celt built some new cities, including one in England. So nice, another war limited Celt to city at Southern France, and got all other cities by offering peace, yes, including the english one. And now they built another city for me. :))

War with Carthage was a little slowing going because they never talked to me. :(( I invaded the capital first after taking the islands. And then wiped out the eastern cities first. By that time, I've got too many legions for Carthage to handle. The allies are eventually withdrew war with Carthage one by one. But they are busy fighting each other. (Or I forgot to mention that I set them to be most aggressive. :)) When stupid Egyptian formed Ally with Macedon, I saw dozens of Immortals accrossing my Mideast city. But I kept silent, just pop rushing some new cities to expand. Egypt was almost elimated. But after losing all started cities, they made peace with Persia.

I eliminated Carthage recently and closing to victory limit. Carthage got war elephant later in the war but was outnumbered by my legions. I changed the government. And don't know what to do next. Invade Goth? Peaceful expanding? Fighting with Macedon to practice massive war, and fight with Persian to try an even bigger one? I built 8 cities out of the 4 cities got from the 1st turn which successfully limit the expansion of Macedon and Persian.

None of the 5 civ ever declared war on me, and when massive troops accross my distance cities. I kept silent and watched them fighting each other. My pop was more than 50% for some time. Thinking of how can I win by using greeks. It will be hard.

This is my very first win in RoR about 4 weeks ago. It took me ages to win this scenario on regent level, but I won on this map. Here is my map.

I first started by taking over the two islands. I then invaded Spain and took over most of Northern Africa as well. While I was doing that, Persia was having a "party" with the Greeks. The Persians managed to wipe out Greece off the map. Anyways, after my armies got weak, I decided to go after the Celts & Goths. By the time I declared war on goths, time was running out, so in a desprate attempt, I invaded Carthage to finish the job. I won with 13 turns left to go! I was so happy to win this scenario!!!

My final map (Regent)

I started conquering much too late. I decided to wait for Legionary II first, then Chavalry, then Imperialism...
It's a mistake I often make: always wait for the next tech and forget to fight.
I didn't want to attack the Celts for I thought they were cute guys and a possible ally against Carthage, and the agressive Scyths kept me from settling around the Carpates. So I stayed passive for the major part of the game.

With about 30 turns on the clock, I decided to invade Persia. They were the biggest threat, possessing 16% of the map. I had only 11% by then.
At that time, I hadn't even finished off Carthage. I didn't want North Africa anyway, so after capturing the Mediterrenean islands and their capital, I kept on hoping they would get reasonable. But they never would, and by the time I realised that, it was too late and I had to fight a two front war.

It soon became a three front war, since my invasion of Persian lands progressed too slowly, I declared war to Egypt too!

I did my best and tried all I could to reach the 20% treshold. I even sent out about 10 settlers in the last few turns. But my final score turned out to be:

:cry:

Looks like I'll be the first to post a Carthage victory...

Conquered Rome in the first 30 or so turns (they didn't even get to Legionary II!) which made the rest of the game fairly easy. Won in 80 AD. No first-turn diplomacy exploit, either! Of course, it helped that this game was on Regent. I'll probably try either a harder level next, or Egypt. ;)

Also notable about this game was the amount of mass genocide. I've never seen so many piles of rubble! :eek:

Persia has a city in England? That's a first. :)

That was Persia's lone contribution in our alliance against the Celts. :crazyeye:

BTW, for potential modding purposes... how is it that the Barbarian civs are prevented from trading for more advanced techs?

Originally posted by Nihilist
That was Persia's lone contribution in our alliance against the Celts. :crazyeye:

BTW, for potential modding purposes... how is it that the Barbarian civs are prevented from trading for more advanced techs?

Flavors, I think.

Here is the map from a game I played as the Celts using Chieftesses mod. I just kept expanding like crazy through France, Spain, England and central Europe. I ended up with 18% land mass and 45% population

Here's my results on Deity as Rome. I got domination with about 17 turns left to go.

I really felt like I was getting off to a slow start. I wasn't able to take all three nearby islands in the first push, but I finished them off a few turns later. Most of my GA was tied up building the Great Library and Colossus. I wanted the Lighthouse instead of the Colossus, but once the cascade started, it was clear I wasn't getting it.

Carthage dominated the Mediterranean, and continuously landed troops on Sicily. They even briefly took a city there since they wore down the island's defenders, and it was dangerous to transport my own troops there. Once I was able to produce troops instead of wonders, I took the Carthaginian cities in southern spain with the helpof the Celts. They were my allies through the whole game. I also made and effort to colonize the unoccupied regions in Spain and Hungary. I put a city next to just about every food bonus.

When there a brief clearing on the ocean, I attacked both ends of Carthage at once. Once my two armies met up in the center, I sent the legions back home to attack Greece, and sent the cavalry to chase down the Carthaginians in Egypt (they had taken over Egypt a while ago). Nice luxuries down there, too.

Around this time, the Celts wiped out the Goths and razed most of their cities, so I sent settlers up there too. The Greeks were surprisingly pathetic. I guess they were just weak from their losing war against persia. I captured the Lighthouse and Artemis from them, but I was already over the required land area. The game was over one turn before I wiped out Greece, and it would be just a few more turns until I finished off Carthage. I had seven armies, but the other civs each got a few as well.

Unlike most people who posted here, I hadly fought any "barbarians" at all. The Celts were useful allies, good customers for resources and luxuries, and good guards for my undefended settlements. Whe the Goths sneak attacked me, I got the Celts to come to my rescue and totally destroy the Goths. Plus, by the end, they had about 100 gallic swordsmen, and one army that I knew of.

Is there someone who left Carthage where they are and went north?

In answer, I did that on a first try but (at emperor level) ran out of time and fell short of a win. I think I built too many cats and not enough legions. I'm tempted to try a second time but the fun is probably doing it first try when the environment is new and different.

I'm currently playing as Persia and am Winning, but it seems me and Greece are the main powers in the world, Rome is 3rdish. I'll post a map when I'm done.

One question though, what do the 'future tech's do? After the first age should I just take all money out of tech research?

Top Bottom