Espionage and trade routes - any relation?

Caboose

Another Drill IV defender
Just wondering... In Civ 4 you got a bonus to espionage from trade routes, which kind of makes sense. The only thing I know that effects the espionage potential in Civ V is the science output of the target city.

Is that all? I know about defensive buildings such as constabulary, but is that all that affects the espionage potential of a city? Trade routes from BNW don't play in?

Just wondering... In Civ 4 you got a bonus to espionage from trade routes, which kind of makes sense. The only thing I know that effects the espionage potential in Civ V is the science output of the target city.

Is that all? I know about defensive buildings such as constabulary, but is that all that affects the espionage potential of a city? Trade routes from BNW don't play in?

Not for tech stealing. Spies can help project tourism onto a civ if they're in diplomat mode.

That element is now represented by trade route science. Nations gains extra science for trading with more advanced partners. It's like a slow tech leak now instead of a periodic technology windfall.

Good answer, hadn't thought about that. Thanks!

But the tech leak is only important in the early eras, when 1 or 2 science makes a difference. In the late game, you could be 5 techs behind all your trade partners and be getting +40 science, which is nothing compared to the 1000 you need to even compete.

Top Bottom