Civ Masters -

Ermak-

Prince
I would like to see how many of actual players beat the ultimate civ settings. By "Ultimate" I mean unpredictable giant map with maximum number of Diety AIs (12). No cooking sets is allowed except picking a tribe of your choice and restart if given bad starting location. All victory conditions should be on and NO MARATHON SPEED ( since its easy) No reloads/ no picking Polynesia on islands and so on.

Currently I am trying to do such a feat. Giant Random land map, Epic speed, 12 Random Diety AIs. I usually pick Dutch. I am coming about in the middle of the bunch by renascence, but resign since there pops up a runaway tribe by that time.

If you did such a thing plz write it down on here so I can see if its possible and how you won.

Doing this doesnt make you a civ master, it just means you have incredible patience.

...or quick!

Random AI's often end up easier than their normal settings. You can get a wonder building France, a sea loving Mongolia, Austria attacking CS's, and expansionist Ethiopia. Civ leader personalities are set up to use their civs well. Sometimes it won't matter so much (for instance, Ghandi won't be running out of happiness regardless, most likely), but other times they can really use their civs poorly.

The only time I played with random personalities, Attila decided to be a generally peaceful empire with virtually no army and only a small navy.

I also don't get the idea that marathon is easier than other settings, but it seems to be generally accepted, so oh well. I find faster settings easier, because defense is so much easier.

Bigger maps aren't easier or harder really, from my experience. On a big map, if someone starts to run away, you can recruit help to slow that person down or just take over lots of cities. At the very least you'll get the enemy's army distracted, while there are fewer people to help on a smaller map, but on the other hand a runaway is less dangerous on a smaller map, while on a huge map you can sometimes see a runaway with 30+ cities.

Bigger maps aren't easier or harder really, from my experience. On a big map, if someone starts to run away, you can recruit help to slow that person down or just take over lots of cities. At the very least you'll get the enemy's army distracted, while there are fewer people to help on a smaller map, but on the other hand a runaway is less dangerous on a smaller map, while on a huge map you can sometimes see a runaway with 30+ cities.

It seems like a trade-off to me. Bigger maps mean more competitors but more trade partners. I'll have to leave it to someone better at this game than I am whether that's true or not.

It seems like a trade-off to me. Bigger maps mean more competitors but more trade partners. I'll have to leave it to someone better at this game than I am whether that's true or not.

After I posted, I actually just had a thought about how strong Arabia could be with the max number of civs (or even just 12) on diety. They have bottomless pockets and Arabia has always been VERY kind with number of nearby luxuries.

I'll admit I'm not an amazing player myself, so I hardly know everything. However, I can easily imagine some civs getting an advantage with more civs (Arabia), and some might have an advantage with fewer, so going with a huge map instead of random size is actually a bit of a cooked setting in and of itself, just because those certain civs will have an advantage. After all, the more friends you have the faster Sweden will get those GP.

Babylon should manage to do this with a few cities and meeting enough civs for RA's easily. They are by far the easiest civ to play on deity as they stay on par tech wise with everyone.

Also bigger maps give more happiness in the way of more natural wonders to find - for Spain, this is 2 happy for each extra wonder.

I used to play the Earth map - while it was nice to know the lay of the land, I was giving up several happy per game.

Addtionally, an "ultimate" setting - for challenge - would not be a random map because you could get a favorable one. Instead of cooking settings to give you more of advantage, go the other way. Play on a map that is clearly not favorable to a chosen civ, esp. with sparse resources. While I fully believe any civ can win any victory on any map, the key would be to play away from strength.

Addtionally, an "ultimate" setting - for challenge - would not be a random map because you could get a favorable one. Instead of cooking settings to give you more of advantage, go the other way. Play on a map that is clearly not favorable to a chosen civ, esp. with sparse resources. While I fully believe any civ can win any victory on any map, the key would be to play away from strength.

Huge map, something with little or no water, 2 civs. You are India, and you must play against Napoleon. On the other hand I'm not even sure deity level bonuses could manage the unhappiness from the number of cities France will have.

Yeah 12 civs is not the most difficult setting cos of abusing trading, lots of potential RA's, bribes to go to war, diplo in general. I usually find small maps the hardest, but few civs on a large map is generally the way to go :)

Except for the cheesy capital snipe. I have come up on a huge civ on another landmass but its capital was on the coast that was facing me. And in my first Civ5 game, I was rolling through a large landmass, found a chokepoint of sort beyond which Germany with its 15+ large cities lay. The first city after the chokepoint was its capital.

Not at my computer right now. Can you turn off RAs? That would negate some of the advantages of having more civs.

I think the hardest setting would probably be huge map, 1 AI, no CS. You aren't going to be signing a ton of RAs to boost your science, or getting any extra food/ happy/ culture from CS. The other civ will probably be a runaway before you even meet him.

How about huge map, few AIs, raging barbs, low resources, lots of marsh land, and marathon speed? this makes me want to start another game!

Isn't Epic speed easier than Normal?

No, in fact epic speed on deity is harder than normal.
Since the AI's start with an extra settler + worker, they lose out less on moving these units. Bigger early advantage, bigger midgame advantage yadiyadi.

Top Bottom