Anybody running the game on an ultrabook?

Sesquiterpene

Chieftain
Hello everybody,

For a while now, my only CiV experience was on a netbook, which functioned surprisingly well but well under the way I want to experience the game.

I want to buy an ultrabook (can't handle a large laptop because I travel a lot) and my main concern is whether and how CiV would run.
Instinctively, I'd say that almost anything would be better than my netbook. But I already tried to play on machines which were in theory stronger but in practice quite lame.

Does anybody have experience running CiV on a modern but not too expensive ultrabook?

Yes, it runs quite well. In fact I prefer playing it on my ultrabook (Dell XPS 12 - I5 gen 1) instead of my gaming desktop. I love using the windows 8 touch screen interface.

Thanks!
That sounds encouraging. I'll look at the specs of these 2 machines and see that I don't get anything lower.

I think it all depends on the specs of the book!.

I actually play on a junky laptop, and while i play smaller maps..its definitely playable.

Just make sure you get the right specs on your ultrabook and you should be fine!

I recently bought a Lenovo Yoga w/ max specs (i7, 250 gig ssd, etc.) and Civ5 runs beautifully! The graphics is the limiting factor and can't be pushed very high, but I can live with that. SSD lets maps load incredibly fast. Touch is nice too, if slightly wonky.:)

I don't know much about computers anymore. I play on a Mac Book Pro. Does this count?

My girlfriend's ultra book has problems playing the game on anything other than a Standard map.

Do you know the model / specs?

I'm thinking about Acer Aspire M5 (i7, SSD, separate GPU, up to 6GB RAM). My only fear is that one review on Amazon notes heating issues, which may be a big issue.

I think if you play large or huge the later turns get disgustingly slow. Standard is no problem.

Dunno if it count, but I recently switched from a desktop to a MSI GX60 gaming laptop.

The only thing I had to get used to was the switch from a 24 inch monitor to a 15 inch. But you get used to that fast.

Performance wise, no issues.

Just make sure to get a cooler for underneath your laptop, and you should be fine.
And make sure the dedicated GPU is a decent one.

I usually play large maps (8 civs 12 cs), and turns near the end of the game are doable. Nothing ridiculous long.

I played it on my Surface Pro, it actually did quite well, but I prefer to play on my 40" monitor so when I had to reset the Pro I never bothered to reinstall it, but with it's 1.9Ghz (base) i5 and 4GB RAM it was quite respectable (but my 16GB i7 3.6GHz desktop is faster of course but in the old super tower case I used to build it not very portable :) ). Now that my eyes are not what they used to be I find long periods on the small screen uncomfortable but if you have younger eyes that hopefully isn't a problem. Sometimes it would crash on huge maps in later stages but only ocassionally and there was an early heat problem with the Pro that was fixed and that may have been part of it. Still I'd like to see an Ultra with at least 8GB.

Top Bottom