CS's almost always embargoed

Aaron90495

King
In almost all of my BNW games, CS's are embargoed very quickly, usually within the first 3 World Congress proposals. By the end of the game, I have 10 CS's asking for TR's, and the Freedom tenet is unusable.

Is anyone else running into this? And why does the AI love this proposal so much?

I've only seen city states embargoed once. Must have something to do with the way your games are progressing. I more often see the biggest warmonger embargoed, which is too often me -_-

Nope, I've never seen City-States get embargoed actually.

Who's proposing this? Maybe you shouldn't be playing with 7x Genghis Khans. :p

Never seen it either.

Interesting how each person`s game can be so different. That`s the beauty of it, I suppose.

I see it often (not always). Always struck me as silly - why would the AI's not want to trade with city states? I try to control the World Congress by allying city states if I'm not host, and then I repeal any of the stupid bans/embargoes.

I've seen it in one game. In that game, I had the lead score and the Portuguese (who were due south and close behind me on the scoreboard) were in a sort of Cold War with me, bullying my city-states for tribute while I'd provide money and units to them. I had spawned in a location where four of my trade routes were city-states, and Portugal kept on trying to bug me with various measures banning my luxuries or my city-state trading partners.

Thankfully, Portugal's proposals never passed. My city-state allies and I dominated the WC for quite some time, haha.. :)

The only time I've had it happen is when I was the one who proposed it.

As for why one would sometimes want this, its a great second kick in the teeth after you've just embargoed a rival civ. It also shuts down that Freedom policy that grants favor based on a trade route and prevents anyone from getting and completing a Trade Route quest that is one of the easier ways to earn 40 influence.

More broadly, it's also a way to force a runaway to share gold with neighbors instead of hoarding it. And in certain circumstances it can force trade routes to travel through regions that you'll have an easier time pillaging.

I've never actually seen City-States get embargoed in any of the BNW games I've played...the AIs are always too busy randomly banning luxury resources.

I've seen it twice so far and both times I had a lot to do with it. This proposition usually pops up but it's always rejected. These votes happen when there are universally hated warmongers in game. If you play as a warmonger, these votes may target you.

I see it often (not always). Always struck me as silly - why would the AI's not want to trade with city states? I try to control the World Congress by allying city states if I'm not host, and then I repeal any of the stupid bans/embargoes.
To make allying city states harder for you ;)

Never seen CS embargos myself, what are you doing in the diplomacy for the AI to want to do that?

Special settings? Playing with certain civs only?

It's possible AI is responding to a constant like that.

I've seen it happen quite a few times myself. A couple of times they proposed it when there were no city states left on the map at all.

The thing about embargoing the city-states is that it's a neutral policy, no one is for it and no one is against it. No one cares about it. So when a computer has too many policies that will benefit their enemies and punish their allies they will often opt to use this silly one as a sort of last ditch effort.

The AI needs a little bit of logical re-worked when to comes to some of the resolutions.

I've seen the computer want to ban a luxury resource that they've been trading for about 20 times. They know that hurts them too right?

As far as the embargo CSs resolution, it should never be considered unless Portugal is on the map or someone adopts freedom or someone can only trade with CSs.

Or maybe a better idea of going about it is embargo (city-state type). Embargoing ALL the CSs is just way too extreme and it completely ruins freedom's LEVEL 3! tenet.

I noticed AIs propose this when I have influence from CSs from Treaty Organisation...

or is it just me. :confused:

It seems to me to happen more frequently (always) when:

Spain(or someone else, of some reason it seems to always be Spain) has pissed everyone off, this resulted in a trade embargo during a vote.

Later on Spain has still pissed everyone else off, and is now trading with CS's, CS embargo gets voted through.

Dunno if this is how it works, but it seems to be my experience with it.

Interesting. Seems I'm the anomaly in this scenario. To answer everyone's questions, no, I play with random civs and normal settings (usually Standard size and timing/Pangaea or Continents/Immortal or Deity). And I go about diplomacy things fairly diplomatically (no pun intended). And lastly, CS embargoes (at least from what I remember) usually aren't preceded by civ embargoes.

I've played around 10-15 near-complete (or complete) BNW games. Any other ideas what could be going on for me?

The AI needs a little bit of logical re-worked when to comes to some of the resolutions.

I've seen the computer want to ban a luxury resource that they've been trading for about 20 times. They know that hurts them too right?

Depends on how much extra happiness they have. AI usually embargo luxuries of their enemies because not only do they lose happiness , they lose the ability to trade those luxurues, so it's a double whammy.

So yeah, make sure you don't piss off an AI with a lot of votes if you can't defend yourself from a world congress/UN vote.

In one game ban CS was proposed by Brazil (going after CV) when me (freedom) was direct opponent. And in that case it was quite smart, i couldnt used my tenet to pump CS influence, and everyone was forced to trade with other civs including brazil for this tourism bonus.

Top Bottom