Build cathedral/pagodas first or build send missionaries/GP?

I actually prefer to purchase the faith buildings first, the once you have enough FPT you can start purchasing the missionaires/ inquisitors.

Cathedral/pagoda... or whichever is cheaper... you get way more faith from religious buildings than you do with spread. Spread could even be a waste because other religions can spread the same way. While if you keep the cathedral/pagoda ,you keep the extra +2 faith generated per turn and other cpt/ great artist slot.

Depends.
If the other cities are likely to convert fairly quickly I buy an inquisitor first, but if (as usual) some AI twonk has forward-settled me I buy a missionary and get the ones nearest my neighbour converted.

I always build my faith buildings first as the AI is pretty good at spreading it's religion. I remember in one game where I enhanced my religion before any had founded on my continent so I decided to spread. The whole continent was my religion until 2 civs founded and started reversing the process. Needless to say eventually the dominant religion on my continent wasn't mine.

I almost always spread my religion first. Spreading my religion will not only secure a stronger foundation and external as well as internal pressure, but will often also give me a higher FPT which will then make it easier to buy the buildings. There might be circumstances where I deviate from this, but failing to spread your religion early if you're proximate to another civ which focuses on religion can make your completely overwhelmed by pressure from their religion, even if they don't actively send missionaries into your lands, which can make it very hard to get a stable religion going imo.

Always enhance the religion first before building any Religious Buildings (unless a free GP is only a few turns away via Liberty or Piety), otherwise AIs will found religions taking as their first follower the belief that you wanted to make your second belief.

After enhancing (pick Religious Texts if its still available as its the most powerful for spreading your religion to your own cities, which will probably all be within 10 tiles of other cities you own), build the religious buildings first while they are still cheap. The only time to interrupt for Missionaries is if all the cities that had your religion already have the religious buildings and you need some more cities to adopt your religion to build the buildings.

I normally spread first, but in my most recent game the Incans where next to me, building all religious wonders, so I figured it wasn't worth spreading because my cities would flip anyway. Build Pagoda first and after building Grand Temple etc. I managed to slowly convert my other cities to my religion.

This is why I like Borobudur. Unfortunately, so does the AI. But if you can snag it, it really secures you local religion, especially if you have low faith generation.

Somehow I get Maya as neighbor all the time and they like to go religious, so I try to convert my closest CS and civs to my own religion using missionaries, if I get Prophets I just waste them going to Maya capital and converting them a few times just for laughs. Maya is going down first anyway, especially if they are small and weak.

I'm all over the map. One thing I'm consistent with, though: plant the third and fourth GP, and let a puppet city work it. You probably shouldn't be getting a fifth, but if you do, okay, spread with that. I highly recommend going to the World Beliefs screen and understand what everybody's beliefs are. It's not an automatic given that you want to spread, nor that you don't want to be spread to. The Catholics may want to spread Jesuits to you, and that's just fine with me.

after youve enhanced there is no one answer for this. its always some kind of response to the terrain/neighbors on what i do. passive tall games are almost always buildings first, then saving for great people. tithe is usually in the equation so having the AI massively spread to my cities usually just means losing the gpt since i already built the buildings. sometimes i see the need for an inquisitor in between buildings but usually not with 3-4 cities.

For me, I would spread if my other cities can greatly benefit from the pantheon or other beliefs (settling new cities after founding religion won't give you pantheon). Another reason is CS quest. Yet another reason is if your neighbor is without a religion, and thus spreading it will create regional religious influence better. This also depends whether there are other Civs nearby that will spam missionaries and prophets to the civ without religion. If you happen to be in between two or more Civs, but your civ is positioned in the middle, it is safer to spread your religion to the non-religious civ since it will be harder for the neighbor religious civ to pass your border to spread their religion on the other side.

If the civ that's spamming religion is militaristically weak, you can also DoW and capture their great prophets.

If I can flesh out Borobodur, then I can skip missionary and get religious building instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King/Lower- Building
Emperor/Higher- Missionary

This is why I like Borobudur. Unfortunately, so does the AI. But if you can snag it, it really secures you local religion, especially if you have low faith generation.

Borobudur really is a good wonder. I remember I used to build Borobudur first and then build the missionaries in the city where Borobudur was built so that the missionaries can convert 3 times instead of only twice like the average missionary does.

That's right, that was great mosque of djenne when I used to use missionaries to spread religion. Borobudur does something else then.

With borobudur you're basically trading hammers for faith. 300 hammers for 600 faith, to be exact. That 2:1 ratio is right in line with Holy warriors. But then you get the +5fpt, which is quite a bit. You easily make another 600 faith in 120 turns. You then just have to decide what you can do with that faith and whether it's worth the hammers. If you built Djienne, too, then it's probably safe to say you would have built those missionaries anyway if you had the faith. But if you're going to pop your sixth Prophet for 1700 faith before industrial, then I think it's safe to say building Borobudur isn't worth it just to get half of one prophet. You'd be better off sinking those 300 hammers elsewhere and just buying those 3 missionaries straight up.

Top Bottom