Your Greatest Military Victory?

What was your greatest military victory? Did you manage to defeat an incredible army with only a few soldiers? Did you launch a reincarnation of Sherman's March into enemy territory to cut off a powerful enemy? I would talk about one of mine, but I already mentioned it in another thread. Here it is:

About 20 turns after the war, when my land was fully developed and I had built a FP in Lisbon, Hiawatha turned backstabber. He moved a horde of MI and AA foot troops near the former Portugese city of Oporto (it had the standard defense of two muskets). When I asked him to leave, he declared war. No matter though; by the turn he managed to attack, I'd arrived with part of the huge army I now had (15 knights, a reinforcement Musketman). The knights broke the lines of the Iroqious invasion force, and a war of attrition (which I technically won) broke out in the jungles. After I beat back his troops, the only 10 or so Crusaders in the world started, along with some nearby Knights and MI taking Iroqious cities. Soon Hiawatha lost all but three of his Portugese cities. Haha, pipe-boy.
So, what's yours?

The celts had managed to bring to SOD's outside one of my cities. About 80 units total for both stacks. In my turn I immediatly moved all of my cavalry and artillery into the city. (I had railroads) I also drafted 14 infantry to strenghten the defenses further. The force in the city was so strong that they didn't dare to attack. Instead i could bombard them as they went past the city and attack them with cavalry when they were down to 1 hp. I generated several leaders and I lost about 1 cavalry attacking on of their units. That was their entire attack force i defeated there so the war went like a dream after that :)

theoden said:
The celts had managed to bring to SOD's outside one of my cities. About 80 units total for both stacks. In my turn I immediatly moved all of my cavalry and artillery into the city. (I had railroads) I also drafted 14 infantry to strenghten the defenses further. The force in the city was so strong that they didn't dare to attack. Instead i could bombard them as they went past the city and attack them with cavalry when they were down to 1 hp. I generated several leaders and I lost about 1 cavalry attacking on of their units. That was their entire attack force i defeated there so the war went like a dream after that :)

Sounds like someone did some whooping :) So did you take out most of their army or what?

I seems like it was their entire offensive force at that time. At least, later when i was taking thier cities they only counterattacked a few times probably with newly built units.

And yes, both SOD's was completely annihilated. They just wandered around the city trying to find some other units that those in the city, because they wasn't brave enough to attack the city itself. Of course they didn't find other units nearby, they were all in the city.

I took over the entire French civilization in one turn, which was 21 cities large. I had about 80 modern armour, 60 Artillery and some 35 leftover Cossacs. It was bliss, and a near miss too. Right of passage abuse can be so lovely. And no one really cared about it. My rep was only slightly damaged. It was like they never existed. It's real fun to see happening on the replay. Now you see me, now you don't!

Raffer said:
I took over the entire French civilization in one turn, which was 21 cities large. I had about 80 modern armour, 60 Artillery and some 35 leftover Cossacs. It was bliss, and a near miss too. Right of passage abuse can be so lovely. And no one really cared about it. My rep was only slightly damaged. It was like they never existed. It's real fun to see happening on the replay. Now you see me, now you don't!

Well, it isn't really the most fun way to win, though... :)

Personally, as Germany, I had a city on the Franco-American border. The city was surrounded by mountains and after an American attack (that I barely held off, resulting in an undecisive war), I used the peace-time to beef up the mountain tiles with a Maginot Line of my own. That ensured that the next time the Yanks declared war and went on the offensive, I was able to constantly lure them into open ground and smash 'em with artillery and cavalry. They weren't quite as keen or able to keep pouring troops in after that... :D

Later on I discovered Flight ages before my neighbours (or anyone else, for that matter), so I became Fascist, mobilized my economy for war, built some bombers and Panzers and, well, got so bored winning easy victories I quit the game...

I am presently involved in what is turning out to be one of my greatest victories. I was down and out. I am playing the Chinese and my only real problem is the Iroquois. They were ahead in military might and culture (by about 800 points). Now I thought this game was a lost cause. I did manage to capture a city of theirs on their continent. I had about 4 Cavalry Armies and sent them over. I knew they could destroy me any time so I redeclared war but didn’t attack. I had about 15 Infantry, 15 Artillery, and the armies in the one captured city, so just let the AI keep sending troops in to try to retake their city, then finished off the red lined cavalry with my Armies. THEN, I sent my 4 Armies in, but did not attack cities, I pillaged… Everything! After about 20 turns the Iroquois Democracy fell into Anarchy. They had no troop support so I defeated their units by starving them financially. By turn 30 into the war, I have military superiority and my points are catching up quick! They don't have a city over 8 pop.(they were up to 20 pop.). This game is going to be a Domination Victory (I’m at 50% now). :goodjob:

Vizurok said:
Check my signature: Killing the whole world with only legions!
But it was real teamwork!
that just links me to a forum with people laughing at someone for mentioning that his girlfriends got upset cos the leaders laughed at her for a histograph win.... not the violent dominating campeign (sp) i was expecting...

It was the late industrial era for most of the world that is, The greeks were in the future era, how? they got a series of SGL in the ancient age. I knew my continet, which i shared with 4 other civs was next on alexander's list 'things to conquer".
I had been thinking about this war for about some time now and now it was time. I used ALL of my army in this invasion. 20 something transports all loaded up and ready to go, all full of tanks and 5 tank armies.
I could only take 5 of his cities(big cities and with a wonder in all of them) before my army was cut down to less than half with many 1hp units badly needing rest. It was't easy, for me or him. He had just came out of a war with the Rusian, Americans and Mongolians for the continet. He swallowed all of them. But he was wea now. Most of my troops died in the first turn of the invation, he let loose all of his moder armor on me just after he had used all of his tactical nukes. I had to fight each tile and then some because he had already railroaded of his territorry and place a radar tower everywhere.

My best military victory was playing the Maya against the Romans, and managing to finally defeat them after a 60-80 turn war, without triggering either of our's golden ages. The war started when we both were despots, and continued into Republic. I didn't want a golden age that early, because we were trapped on a continent to ourselves, and I wanted to save it for the Industrial Age to outproduce the AI. I didn't want Rome to have a Golden Age, because they would quickly overrun me with Legions. Rome had three sources of iron, and I had none, so I went to war with them.

The continent we were on would hold about 30 cities, of which we were split about right down the middle. It was shaped like a stretched out s, with the bottom part of the s owned by Rome, and the top half mine. There was a 4 tile or so chokepoint where iron was, and this chokepoint I used to win the war.

I started off by declaring war on Rome, and spending the first few turns defensively, holding off their attacks. I managed to get *very* lucky, and three times in a row, killed 1-2 hp legions with my warriors. I managed to take the chokepoint with the iron, and promptly razed it. I rebuilt the town right on the iron hill, joined a few workers in, and then pop rushed walls and a barracks. From this hilltop, I started using catapults to take hps off of incoming legions until I could build up swords. This was an extremely tense period of 15 turns or so, where I was trying to take 1hp off of every legion that was marching into my land. A few times I couldn't, and managed to somehow win those battles. As my swords would enter the field of battle, I started to use them to pick off the occasional 1hp legion. 10-20 turns later, the rate of incoming legions started to slow, so I started going on the offensive.

I picked up a leader while taking the second town, and built an army with him. That was my first Conquests game, so I was amazed at how nice armies were. My 3 sword army managed to pillage both remaining iron sources, and then slowly started taking out some of the smaller towns. By now, I had 30 or more swords, and things were going well. I was still making liberal use of catapults, because I didn't want that GA triggering, so it was slow going. The writing was on the wall though, and 60 to 80 turns after I declared war on Rome, I crushed the last pocket of resistance. I had some very lucky combat rolls, and it was quite possibly the most fun I've had at war yet in civ3.

Last city to stand in my way of Conquest. I had about 10 armies of MA surround it all the while hundreds of artillery crushing it. I made peace for everything he had, then I attacked next turn lol he got taken by suprise!

Top Bottom