TSG 135 After Action Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG135 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? Did you build any faith wonders?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?
- How did the policy restrictions affect your game? What did you use to offset the science loss from not having the Rationalism Tree?
- Did the pace affect your plans?

Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1675AD
Turns played: 160
Base score: 1566
Final score: 3262

That was painfully close to a 1-cycle win:
Spoiler :
2 turns away from Info Era. :( The next Great Scientist cost 2680 faith, 2 turns away also.

I went Liberty -> Piety to Reformation (To the Glory of God) -> Scholasticism -> Order 6. Unsurprisingly I had no coal in my territory despite having 7 cities, and the CSs had already put mines on their coal tiles. Would've definitely won in 1 cycle with factory science. Oh well...

Three, the price goes 670, 1000, 1670 and 2680. I also bought a bunch of other great people to make the endgame a bit more fun than just hitting next turn, I think I got 2 merchants, 3 engineers and some great works ones.

Rationalism is so overpowered, this game really highlighted that for me. My science rate with 7 cities throughout this game was similar to what I'd have with 4 cities with Rationalism.

Thanks for the game. I played on a Mac and the upload system didn't find the file for some reason. Anyway, like an idiot, I won with culture instead of diplo.

I bought all the labs and 2 or 3 schools, the rest was hard-built. The second WC timer added 13 turns, plus 2 more for the proposal itself and the vote.

Game date: 1878AD
Turns played: 209
Base score: 1589
Final score: 2522
Time played: 4:21:00

A nice peaceful game. I remembered that I had to expand fast on a quick game - but there was no competition for the suspiciously good coastal mountain spots. My 2nd city had two wonders before my capital. Almost forgot to rush petra as I'm rusty. Did the diplomatic game properly through for a first vote win.

- Did you use your UU?
Answer: Nope
Not as much gold from barbarians as I hoped.
Diplomats for the vote.
Uber powerful cities (4 settled on coasts)
Normal difficulty for me.
I went for tithe after a 27-turn great prophet (thanks CS and desert folklore). Also Pagodas, because. I didn't think through the implications of not having Rationalism GS to buy, so ended the game with 8755 faith. Doh.
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Liberty then patronage then commerce. Also Freedom for the treaty bonus for CS
Science ones. And not Hanging Gardens (which meant not Petra - double Doh)
- How did the policy restrictions affect your game? What did you use to offset the science loss from not having the Rationalism Tree?
People. Lots of people and growth.
It was over too soon. I was enjoying the game!

Game date: 1715AD
Turns played: 168
Base score: 1902
Final score: 3804

phew - built some wonders

Due to lack of timing experience on large map+quick pace I was a bit off.
Anyhow enjoyed the game a great deal :)

Having no coal was a bit sad as also only one CS did not have his coal improved.

I forgot to count in the end but ain't it more than 20 CS?

Yes, faith bought a huge amount of great people, mostly GS and GE.
Built any faith wonder....except stonehenge I guess.

Liberty, Piety, Patronage, Order, Commerce

For a start I was forced into liberty and for offsetting rationalism...hmm maybe the reformation belief for buying GS counts?

Yes...didn't even bother to try to time the WC ;)

Game date: 1920AD
Turns played: 230
Base score: 2640
Final score: 3826
Time played: 14:15:00

I need more practice trying to speed up a diplomatic victory! I suppose I should learn just what conditions are needed for the world leader vote. Normally I play peaceful and just try to tech as fast as I can, but this time I took over most of the world, which in the end I don't think actually helped me.

- Did you use your UU?

Quite a bit! Most of my early conquering was done with Frigates and Mandelaku Cavalry.

Barb Camp rewards kept me minimally solvent until I could build a decent economy, which took awhile.

All my spies just rigged elections in City-States, usually ones that Alexander had initially allied. Eventually I stuck one in Goa just because I already had all the City-States well under my thumb.

The Sandstorm made for some obvious choices. I'm chagrined I didn't explore Southeast and find Poland sooner.

I think I waited too long before beginning to conquer. I didn't expect the AI military to be such pushovers.

Faith was initially quite helpful but I made some wrong decisions: I ended the game with thousands of unspent faith because in the endgame I had little use for great prophets or great generals. The possibilities of the Reformation beliefs makes me believe that four Piety policies would have been a better addition than some of the choices I made.

Honor, Discipline, Military Caste, Warrior Code, Patronage, Consulates, Philanthropy, Scholasticism, Professional Army, Military Tradition, Exploration, Maritime Infrastructure, Cultural Diplomacy, Merchant Confederacy, Naval Tradition, Navigation School. Order, and in various order took order policies and finished Exploration and Commerce.

Currency, Philosophy, Astronomy, Banking, Printing Press, Scientific Theory, Plastics, Combustion (Mistake there).

No rationalism hurt and probably played into my decision to go a-conquering. Scholasticism and Cultural Diplomacy helped a bit.

This is only my second game on Quick pace, so I wasn't too sure of my timings.

The trigger for formation of the UN is getting to the Atomic age with half of the civs, or getting to the information age yourself. So if you eliminate all but 1 civ it would trigger when you enter the atomic age.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The trigger for formation of the UN is getting to the Atomic age with half of the civs, or getting to the information age yourself. So if you eliminate all but 1 civ it would trigger when you enter the atomic age.

Ah thank you, that clears up my confusion.

Your name: belligerent
Game date: 1856AD
Turns played: 198
Base score: 1386
Final score: 2310
Time played: 4:54:00

- Did you use your UU?

No, I didn't build/buy a single unit as I got a militaristic CS early and just let them provide me what I needed. Outside of killing barbs and a brief DOW with a CS, I didn't go warring at all.

Meh. OK, not as useful as it usually is when I'm warmongering with Songhai.

Rigging CS elections for contested CS.

Probably helped, though I don't know if I used my faith optimally. While I had a half-dozen holy sites producing gold, faith and culture in the end, and go Public Schools and Research Labs in one turn apiece per city when they came out, I bought an awful lot of Missionaries, which probably got me a little bit of gold via Tithe, but maybe I would've been better served picking up great people.

Looking at Vadalaz's results and knowing he went the great people route, that was probably the major difference in our speed. I had a bunch of +25/33% to GP/GS but the ability to purchase GS with Faith instead of Missionaries out the wazoo would've sped this up by quite a bit. Good thing to learn from that...

Once again, this was a turtler's map, but not as much so as the Assyria game. Desert makes it easier to move around and had I gone the warring route it would've been slow at the start but easy once I got rolling. I turtled this time though, so the map was good for that with no neighbors.

I didn't worry about being attacked at all, and I wonderwhored the whole game rather than conquering or waiting till later.

See above. I don't know if I got the most out of it, but the exceptionally fast purchasing of Univ/PS/RLs probably offset the loss of Rationalism somewhat. Holy Sites were useful for gold and the use of piety for the +25% and gold bonus from temples was pretty good.

I built Great Mosque of D, Hagia Sophia. Really didn't need them, but was wonderwhoring.

Left side of Liberty - Piety to Reformation - Finish Liberty - Full Patronage - Piety Finisher - Freedom through six (because I had no coal for factories (Order) and my city populations were similar to a Tradition game...) - three in Exploration.

Currency, Philosophy, Astronomy, Banking, Printing Press, Scientific Theory, Plastics, Globalization (though I didn't really need it).

I used a GS into Modern, Oxford into Atomic, GS into Info which maybe helped me get to a Leader vote a bit faster.

I wouldn't use Tradition with Songhai anyway, and no Rationalism did force a minute change in late/supporting policies, but overall I was 80% tech complete with the AI average at 45% so not a big deal other than just slowing things down a touch.

Got a little better prioritizing this time around. Less wasted building as I focused on gold and growth. I had such ridiculous happiness by the end of the game, I was playing it basically like a 3-4 city tradition game just spurring growth everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Rounding means that you need to only eliminate all but 2 civs.

Game date: 1745AD
Turns played: 174
Base score: 1860
Final score: 3576
Time played: 7:31:00

1 cycle win, except that WC was founded way way too late due to not discovering one of the civ due to poor scouting. Bought 3 GS, could've been 4 but not even needed due to delay. Sidon would be the source of some workers and my xp farm. I managed to get 2 GG out of attacking it, halfway to a G Admiral. In the end, still missed 1 CS due to not discovering it, only saw it with Satellite. Also the final vote was way too easy on large.

- Did you use your UU?
Not really, I built 1 late to try to find the missing civ, but didn't make any difference.

Pretty meh, 3 camps spawned nearby but I didn't clear 1 of them purposely to farm, never captured a single city.

Standard practice of parking in capital to level to rank 3, then coup CS that someone else allied. Used them as diplomats for final vote.

Probably no close neighbor made it more difficult since happiness is more of an issue with no easy way to conquer neighbor. It forced turtling but there is enough land to do so for liberty anyway.

AI useless for selling lux, but still buy my strategic. Also prince level Alex is a joke. I can afford to wonder whore.

Took reformation that allows for buying any great people. Bought 3-4 GS, planted 4 prophets, and assortment of others to fulfill CS quests and GE rush more wonders. Meanwhile pagoda+mosque made my happiness stable. Built Great mosque then Borobudur just for the heck of it and completed some quests.

Liberty left side, worker, Piety opener, Patronage 2 (no scholasticism since it's prince) Piety reformation, Order 6 (factory science but needed an extra city to connect it, and used a GG to connect. Rush that city hard to get it up to speed.) Rest of the policies used to time for GS and allow for more wonders.

Astronomy, Public schools, Radio to ideology, Fertilizer, Labs, Globalization.

No tradition meant liberty, but I wanted to play liberty anyway. No Rationalism meant Piety reformation for buying great people play seems to be the way to go.

I have no idea how to play quick. This is probably my 1st or 2nd. So timing was way off.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom