Things to improve

vidimce

Warlord
Ive played single player couple of times with this mod. Here's the things I think should be modified and added in the next patch:

*Unique Infantry units for every country with unique strength. Example a German Infantry 1 would be stronger then a French Infantry 1. Not to big differnces of coarse but each Countries state during the WW2 should be noted. Also some variations as the war progressed, the first Red Army units would be relatively weak, but later on they would get stronger and almost match the german ones.

*Heavy Artilery. Attack of 28, Its a bit to strong in my eyes. Basically its stronger then most light tanks. Maybe a 25 ?

*Unique ships. I know that the First German battleships were smaller and therefore weaker then British battleships because after WW1, restrictions were imposed on Germany for Ships size.
Also U-boats instead of submarines, nuclear submarines etc.

*Unique technologies. Poland would be able to buy a technology of the Soviet Union to be able to build T-34 tanks or from any other country for that matter. They should have their own tanks too. Poland building IS2, I mean common. It's a Russian tank. I like having countries strengths intact. Which brings me to the next point.

*Nuclear missils technologies. Research time should be increased extensively. Only the top countries should be able to research these, maybe give em bonus when researching Atomic bomb. USA, Soviet Union, G.Britain, France and Third Reich. It was silly looking at Avanol (league fo nations) attacking me with ICBMs. It definitely should take looong for countries to research these technologies and even longer for countries like Poland, League of Nations or even Italy.

*Finally more Countries :) Finland would be a nice edition.

These are just things I think should be improved, not critiques.
I think you guys are doing excelent with the mod.
Thank you.

some suggestions:

- correct improvements on certain tiles - they're all wrong (i.e. plantation on corn instead of a farm ...)

- give countries more terrain improvements, so you don't have to build that many of them ingame

- remove the radar promotion for infantry, tanks and other land units (sounds kind of strange an infantry unit is capable of intercepting a plane?;)

*Unique ships. I know that the First German battleships were smaller and therefore weaker then British battleships because after WW1, restrictions were imposed on Germany for Ships size.
Also U-boats instead of submarines, nuclear submarines etc.

Know it's been a few days but I just read this.

Actually, the German ship at the beginning were quite powerful. They basically were very heavy battlecruisers (Pr as we know them pocket battleships).

I think it was after WWI that the British and the Americans put in place there own restrictions, to keep another naval arms race from starting. And that was the start of the battlecruiser. Fast, and lighter, and much more heavily armed as a battleship.

I think it would be great if there would be more than just 4 types of warships (destroyer, battleship, aircraft carrier, submarine) I suggest adding the cruiser type to the game - it would really make the naval warfare more interesting. Right now there isn't really much to choose from - the carriers and submarines are not that powerful and are designed for more specific tasks, so you're stuck with building DDs and BBs.

No input from the MOD team.. This forum isnt used much.

@ General Matt, yeah they were quite powerful, but I do know for sure they were smaler then British battleships. They also used tnt-filled armour-piercing shells which were more powerful then British lyddite-filled shells. The British started using tnt later in the war as well.

After reading a bit of WW2 history I got few more things that need improvement.

The Tiger I tank took twice as long to produce compared to the Panzer IV and 4 times compared to a Stug III assult gunThe Tiger II even longer. About 1350 Tiger Is were produced agaisnt 58 000 Soviet T-34s and 40 000 American Shermans. So productin costs should be modified acording to these figures.
Both tanks had an amazing penetrating power and heavy armor but were prone to mechanical failures because of lack of testing. They required lot of maintenance also. It was known for a single Tiger to destroy over 10 enemy tanks alone. In one case a single Tiger destroyed 22 Soviet T-34s. The complex maintenance can also be reflected with 3 gold per turn instead of the 2 gold curently.

There's a lot more information and things that should be modified.
I am available to research and provide recomended changes.

@ all - about ships
I don't to make mod very slow so i would stay on mayor unit types and some unique class for each nation. If the game engine's performance allow this i would bring more naval units in future releases.
In future to the list (except the existing ships) would be added Dreandnought, Seconf Type of Transport Ship, WW1 Cruiser, I-400 Submarine/Plane carrier, Cruiser, Small submarines (this suicide one).

*Unique Infantry units for every country with unique strength.[...]

Unique Infantry on the way :) They'll apear partialy in next patch (it would take some time to that release tough - because 80% of work left.

*Heavy Artilery. Attack of 28, Its a bit to strong in my eyes. Basically its stronger then most light tanks. Maybe a 25 ?
OK we're balance it :)

*Unique technologies. [...]
I think it would complicate game much and won't work with small countries wich should byu quite all the equipment

*Nuclear missils technologies. Research time should be increased extensively. Only the top countries should be able to research these, maybe give em bonus when researching Atomic bomb. USA, Soviet Union, G.Britain, France and Third Reich. It was silly looking at Avanol (league fo nations) attacking me with ICBMs. It definitely should take looong for countries to research these technologies and even longer for countries like Poland, League of Nations or even Italy.
It is very loong now (i can eancrease it tough), but i think there's bug - researching atomb bomb project causes that all countries get ability to build nukes - it's how it made in civ4 - i think all nations should have own attomic program and i hope it would be fixed in sdk.

*Finally more Countries :) Finland would be a nice edition.
The number of nations will rise significally with next release :). Thank you for your suggestions :)

some suggestions:
- correct improvements on certain tiles - they're all wrong (i.e. plantation on corn instead of a farm ...)
- give countries more terrain improvements, so you don't have to build that many of them ingame
- remove the radar promotion for infantry, tanks and other land units (sounds kind of strange an infantry unit is capable of intercepting a plane?;)
Ok. We will fix this :)

making global warming less enoying
Ok we'll fix this

No input from the MOD team.. This forum isnt used much.

Sorry it may look like this - i'm mostly all the time busy, and usually is hard to find some time to write something and when i have it i usally make answers in many threads. Even if it tooks some time to answer i assure that all the post are red and have impact on moding :)

The Tiger I tank took twice as long to produce compared to the Panzer IV and 4 times compared to a Stug III assult gunThe Tiger II even longer. About 1350 Tiger Is were produced agaisnt 58 000 Soviet T-34s and 40 000 American Shermans. So productin costs should be modified acording to these figures.
Both tanks had an amazing penetrating power and heavy armor but were prone to mechanical failures because of lack of testing. They required lot of maintenance also. It was known for a single Tiger to destroy over 10 enemy tanks alone. In one case a single Tiger destroyed 22 Soviet T-34s. The complex maintenance can also be reflected with 3 gold per turn instead of the 2 gold curently.

There's a lot more information and things that should be modified.
I am available to research and provide recomended changes.

Thx for suggestions :)
And of course i'm waiting for new :)

The aforementioned upgrades allowed the Panzer IV to keep pace with newer designs such as the M4 Sherman and the T-34. Production continued and was stepped up even while the more effective Panther medium tank was in service, because of the Panzer IV's low cost and greater reliability; since the design was already in use and tested in the battlefield they could be upgraded and problems removed, while the Panther was a relatively new model.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_4

Panther, Tiger I, Tiger II production costs and maintenance should be increased. This would give the player a reason to build panzer 4s, right now its obsolate by the Panther tank which has a slightly higher production cost and is significantly stronger having 25% against armored units and +2 atack strength. The Tiger I as I said earlier should be almost double the cost of panzer 4, ouch :) but it would be worth to build that monster.

The tiger I and II should have 1-2 first strike since they were able to penetrate enemy armor at 1500 - 2000 metres. Other tanks such as the Sherman could only do this at 1000m. By the time the Sherman aproaches 1000m, the tiger has time to fire at least 1 shot. The IS2 was able to destroy the Tiger at ranges exceeding 1000m from any aspect.
The great penetrating power of the Tiger's gun meant that it could destroy many of its opponents at ranges at which they could not respond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_I

Thx good observation - I would tweak tanks in next release :)

First of all, congratulations on a great mod. You guys are the reason why I bought Warlord. I've been following the development and couldn't stand it anymore, I had to try it.

Before I get into the specifics, you should know I'm a wargamer by nature. Civ is one of the few game that I play that is not a wargame. Mods are a big reason why.

I've only played a 2 hour session last night. So the following feedback is brief but there will be more to come in the next weeks.

I- Land unit

Tank are overpowered right now. Tank should eat most unit in open terrain but should have a hard time against fortified defender in good defensive terrain (forest,hill and city). This is not the case right now.

I would give them a -25% when attacking a city. Right now, we use tank to wipe out defenders anywhere and infantry play little or no role in city assault. This is inacurate. Infantry and artillery unit should be the key unit for city assault, not tank.

Increase their cost to at least twice (if not 3x) the price of regular infantry, this should slow down the build-only-tank philosophy.

Assault gun. I'm very happy to see these units however they don't deserve the +25% against armored unit. Assault gun are mechanized artillery unit. They are used for close support for infantry when attacking fortifications (this explains the armor) and are mobile artillery unit (as in self-propelled gun). First generation AG should have a base strength and cost lower than basic/light tank. They are after all a cross between a tank chassis and an artillery gun.

Tank destroyer. Also very happy to see these units. They definitively deserve the +50% against armored unit but the base strength and cost should be lowered compared to basic/light tank (for first generation AG). I would also give them a -25% when attacking a city and -50% against infantry. Early tank destroyer had no anti-infantry weapon and their main armament was a high-velocity gun (as in armor-piercing), no use against a fortified defender.

II- Naval unit

Sub warfare. Early in the war, submarine were ruling the sea. There was no effective doctrine or equipment to fight effectively against them.

I would give them a +50% against aircraft carrier and battleship. However I would also give them -95% when attacking a sub. Sub vs sub combat should not occur in normal situations. That explain the 5% left :)

I don't know if I missed it but we seem to miss the light cruiser or cruiser category. There's destroyer and then we jump to battleship. That's a big step.

III- Air unit

Haven't had the chance to try them yet.

Very good ideas and observation (BTW Sid should send us civ4 with his autograph - you're not the first person though bought expansion because of this mod :)) - it convienced me much - it will change strategy for sure (making it more ballanced) and will make game more interesting

About new units - new types will appear
dreadnought
second type of transport
cruiser
sumbarine/airunits carrier - I400 (available for japan only - i know there was couple of other units in other countries but they didn't have so big usage as japanese submarine/carriers)
this small submarines/kamikaze (i forgot name) - used by italy and japan to sank units during suicide missions (and avaialble as unique units for japan and italy)
EDIT
i've check it it's - human torpedo:
it would be used for italy, japan, germany and britain - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_torpedo

All AI player if they get there hands on ICBM´s they use them in on mod I want to have peacekeeping mission and US nukes it so I build up an huge arsenal of these so that the don´t attack me or many H-bombs

Ranged Bombardment improvement like for example heavy artillery would have longer range then regular and same for ships and less on tank destroyers. It would make it more fun and use full to build artillery that i don´t do now I build lots of thanks and bombers and fighters

All AI player if they get there hands on ICBM´s they use them in on mod I want to have peacekeeping mission and US nukes it so I build up an huge arsenal of these so that the don´t attack me or many H-bombs

I think it's great - i was really dissapointed tha AI doesn't use nukes in vanilla and warlords.

Ranged Bombardment improvement like for example heavy artillery would have longer range then regular and same for ships and less on tank destroyers. It would make it more fun and use full to build artillery that i don´t do now I build lots of thanks and bombers and fighters

I agree - there'll be tweks in that matter in next update

I agree - tank should get big penalties for fighting in woods, hills and cities. that would give infantry units more meaning and usefulness

Hi guys,

I would just like to add that didnt France have a larger colonial power than what is portrayed in the 1933 scenario? I'm sure they had large parts of Africa and French Guiana. Perhaps also giving the Falklands to the UK and Alaska to USA?

One slight issue I have is the strengths of some of the German aircraft. For instance the FW 190a is massively stronger in game to the Messerschmitt 109 and even the dornier 335 which didnt even see much combat in the war to make judgement how useful it was. The Messerschmitt should be equal in strength to the Spitfire I feel as there wasnt much to seperate the two in real life. But thats just my opinion

cheers

yeah - france was still a colonial power to be reckoned with, however, the british empire was largest by far, since it has incorporated a lot of german and italian colonial territories after WW1. the 1933 scenario doesn't include all of its colonies - it would probably make GB just too powerful:king:

yeah perhaps, but if we assume these colonies wouldnt be well developed or defended i'm not sure it would make gb too powerful

yes it was mayor target to make this way - imagine britain with very powerful India Area and with abundand of cities in africa - soon it would be the most powerfull country.

The United Nations needs to be sorted out. By that I refer to the voting system where you can only pass motions on the old civics and not the ones that have been changed by the mod. Also I think when a motion is passed only I have to change to the forced civic that was voted in.

Top Bottom