[MOD] Privateers, Pirates, and Buccaneers

Hello everyone... I think that I have an error to report:

while the pirate-affiliation of my cities is about 130%, I have not received the option to build a smugglers inn/buccaneers den. I have plenty of run, and a "dread pirate" with one of the aforementioned cities as his home port... am I missing something?? Thanks in advance...
Hey, thanks for the report. I uploaded a quickfix for this error. The Civ4BuildingInfos.XML just needs to be changed. The file is linked below:

Bug Report Update: 8/17
Download quickfix patch here for v0.5b Alpha . Fixes error of no being able to build your first Smuggler's Inn

Thanks for your prompt reply... copied/pasted the relevant file, but it produced a string of error-message the next time I booted Colonization. I tried to reproduce these messages, but they only appeared once...

As for the game, it appears unchanged.... both on saved files, and when I choose a fresh start. 'Still cannot build a smuggler's inn...

Thanks for your prompt reply... copied/pasted the relevant file, but it produced a string of error-message the next time I booted Colonization. I tried to reproduce these messages, but they only appeared once...

As for the game, it appears unchanged.... both on saved files, and when I choose a fresh start. 'Still cannot build a smuggler's inn...

Are you running the most current download. The mod folder should say "Privateer Mod V 0.5" and you need the V 0.5b? I will upload the patched version shortly. It will be V0.5c, look for it being announced on the first post.

I re-installed Colonization & your mod... both appear to be working correctly, and the smuggler's inn is now visible :) As a longtime fan of "Pirates" (played the 1st back in '87), I'm especially keen on your work... keep it up!

I re-installed Colonization & your mod... both appear to be working correctly, and the smuggler's inn is now visible :) As a longtime fan of "Pirates" (played the 1st back in '87), I'm especially keen on your work... keep it up!

Hey, I am a big fan of "Pirates" as well. Had tons of fun playing those titles. I bet thats what really has inspired me to make this mod. I am uploading an updated version now that just fixes the error you reported so you want need to download it. Keep an eye on this thread for future updates and happy hunting on the account :goodjob:

Hi Kailric, I wanted to list a few suggestions (mostly play-balancing):

1) My starting privateer seems to level-up much to quickly... he's pretty much unstoppable after 30-40 turns, even if I don't use infamy upgrades. Perhaps you should reduce the EXP progression?

2) Pirate hunters are too weak... and seem to just "hover" near a single port. A possible solution (?)= have them appear in squadrons, rather than singly... Or, have them sail in Man-o-Wars...

3) I'm able to pick off AI-controlled privateers with great ease... especially when they spawn 4-6 spaces from my ports! Could you adjust their spawn-location, or scale up their experience to match the player-controlled privateers?

4) After less than 100 turns, the scenario becomes a "victory march": I have 4 cities, a combined population of 30+, and a dread-pirate squadron. The french have been eliminated, the English have a single population point, and the Spanish have 3 small cities (up in N. Canada). This is on "Governor" diff. level... I'm not certain what all the contributing factors are; I haven't even been particularly aggressive.

'Hope I don't seem too critical... I really like what you've coded thus far!

'Hope I don't seem too critical... I really like what you've coded thus far!

Hey, you wasn't too critical at all. Thats what I want to hear about the balancing. Does it make it too easy as, you say, is what I want to know. I have played a game where the AI gets ahead of me with a Dread Pirate and just appears at random and beats me down so many times that I can't even get started really. So, each game has a chance of turning out different, maybe. And it depends on who your Leader is. Like Piet gets an Experience boost to Privateersmen and Pirates. So if you had him as a leader then you would defiantly gain xp faster?

I do need to adjust the Pirate Hunters. I'll do that for the next update and have it based on difficulty level. They should grow in strength as Time progresses.

The AI controlled Privateers Spawn at the Starting Location of the AI Leader. So you probably set up your Towns close to those spawn points. I can probably have them spawn at a more secluded area though. I'll look into that.

Was you able to capture a lot of slaves? Did that contribute to your population increase? I haven't really adjust the AI to take advantage of the New rules at this point either. I am mostly concerned with no Bugs from the players actions cause once you start to edit the AI it gets harder to find bugs. But I'll be updating the AI as I go along.

Thanks again for the feedback. I defiantly want to keep the game challenging so any more suggestions you have on that is much appreciated.

Two things.

Where do you get the patches? I found the Quick-Fix but not patch C.

Second, (which may have been fixed in the patches) when I visited the Apache Chief (heh-heh-heh) I didn't get a pop-up, just the money and/or artifact.

Plus originally the game started with only one tile to Europe stuck in a corner. Two of the three tiles out of that tile where blocked by ice. The Dutch where stuck there for a few turns till I noticed it and deleted the ice via the Worldbuilder

Two things.

Where do you get the patches? I found the Quick-Fix but not patch C.

Second, (which may have been fixed in the patches) when I visited the Apache Chief (heh-heh-heh) I didn't get a pop-up, just the money and/or artifact.

Plus originally the game started with only one tile to Europe stuck in a corner. Two of the three tiles out of that tile where blocked by ice. The Dutch where stuck there for a few turns till I noticed it and deleted the ice via the Worldbuilder

There are no patches at the moment. v0.5c is the Full Version. Just download it and unzip it into your mods folder and thats all you need. If you tried to patch it you should just delete the version you have and reinstall the v0.5c.

By "pop up" are you refering to the Diplomacy screen that pops up when you choose to "Speak with Chief" and he tells you what profession you can learn and what they are in need of?

There was only 1 tile to Europe on the whole map? Did you start the game as normal with the A_NEW_WORLD map? Or did you use a custom map? The mod has no maps of its own so not all custom maps may work with the mod.

I can translate the text files to Portuguese ;)

Well is Portuguese one of the Selection languages? If not then maybe we can add it somehow? I have never done that before and don't know what it would entitle. I can look into it though and get back with you on that.

Thanks for your offer to help!

Well is Portuguese one of the Selection languages? If not then maybe we can add it somehow? I have never done that before and don't know what it would entitle. I can look into it though and get back with you on that.

Thanks for your offer to help!

If I remember correctly, it isn't, but it can be changed by XML editing.

EDIT:

This definition in GlobalDefines.xml seems to indicate that new languages can be set elsewhere:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>MAX_NUM_LANGUAGES</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>100</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

If I remember correctly, it isn't, but it can be changed by XML editing.

EDIT:

This definition in GlobalDefines.xml seems to indicate that new languages can be set elsewhere:

Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>MAX_NUM_LANGUAGES</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>100</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

K, cool. I am sure we can figure out how its all done then so by all means translate them and I will assuredly add them in next update. Note though that some of the "TEXT_KEYS" are not all set in the CIV4GameText_TKText xml files. Like the below command description and help text is in the PrivateerMod_CIV4CommandInfos.xml itself. A lot of the new commands and such are like this as I haven't taken the time to set up text keys for them all. So, if you have the time you could add those text keys to the CIV4GameText_TKText for English and for Portuguese. I'll be sure to post your name in the Credits for any help you may offer though :)

Examle:
Code:
 <CommandInfo>
      <Type>COMMAND_LETTER_OF_MARQUE</Type>
      <Description>Issue Letter of Marque</Description>
      <Help>Give permission for this vessel to attack foreign shipping. Cost to outfit the ship for privateering depends on the class of the ship.</Help>
      <HotKey/>

By "pop up" are you referring to the Diplomacy screen that pops up when you choose to "Speak with Chief" and he tells you what profession you can learn and what they are in need of?

Exactly, I got the message in the top middle of what the outcome of the meeting was, but didn't get the pop-up where I actually see the Chief and have other options.

There was only 1 tile to Europe on the whole map? Did you start the game as normal with the A_NEW_WORLD map? Or did you use a custom map? The mod has no maps of its own so not all custom maps may work with the mod.

Whoops! Yes, I'm using neat Continents map by TC01 which I really like. I wonder if that's why I'm also having crash problems even with doing the turn-off, wait, reboot actions. I take it I should start a new game w/the A_NEW_WORLD map for now?

I have a really stupid request. No, I mean it; it's really stupid. :p

Is there any way you can include what ever script (or whatever) that Civ IV mods like Rise of Mankind or Legends of the Revolution use to allow you to rename individual units? It would be sort of nice to be able to name all you privateers w/unique names.

Actually it's too bad that Col2 probably couldn't use something like the Revolution mod to handle problems in a colony when some cities are for independence and others aren't. I've always thought it would be interesting (and I posted this I think on a AoDII thread) that there should be a "Tory" victory where if there was some mechanism to have a a pop-up when enough cities are ready to go, that you'd could either lead the revolution or take over the loyal Tory cities. Of course I think that would work better if you also had the industrial and economic victory conditions as well. Just a thought.

I have a really stupid request. No, I mean it; it's really stupid. :p

Is there any way you can include what ever script (or whatever) that Civ IV mods like Rise of Mankind or Legends of the Revolution use to allow you to rename individual units? It would be sort of nice to be able to name all you privateers w/unique names.

Actually it's too bad that Col2 probably couldn't use something like the Revolution mod to handle problems in a colony when some cities are for independence and others aren't. I've always thought it would be interesting (and I posted this I think on a AoDII thread) that there should be a "Tory" victory where if there was some mechanism to have a a pop-up when enough cities are ready to go, that you'd could either lead the revolution or take over the loyal Tory cities. Of course I think that would work better if you also had the industrial and economic victory conditions as well. Just a thought.

Yeah, play the game on the default map and see how things go on there. And by "rename individual units" do you mean like automatically? Cause you can manually rename all your units to what ever already. And my mod will rename a Privateer once they "Make a name for themselves", that is reach a certain Infamy level.

I have downloaded those mods that automaticlly rename units but its a really complicated system and not sure what all it will take to get it into Col.

I'm still having crash problems with the fix and after shutting down, waiting then rebooting. It doesn't matter what I do. I start the game up again, it gets to where it almost loads then crashes.

I'm playing via Steam on a Vista box.

I'm still having crash problems with the fix and after shutting down, waiting then rebooting. It doesn't matter what I do. I start the game up again, it gets to where it almost loads then crashes.

I'm playing via Steam on a Vista box.

I just downloaded your saved game and was able to load the save game just fine. So, do me a favor and play a game just using the standard Leaders so you don't get any "Freebooter" units to start with and see if you can save and load the game that way. I believe the error has something to do with one of the "Freebooter" units maybe. If it does maybe I can change out the art with another unit for systems that can't handle the freebooter unit.

Edit: you don't need to play as a Privateer Leader to take advantage of all the features of the game. Privateer leaders only change the starting units and leader traits.

I just downloaded your saved game and was able to load the save game just fine. So, do me a favor and play a game just using the standard Leaders so you don't get any "Freebooter" units to start with and see if you can save and load the game that way. I believe the error has something to do with one of the "Freebooter" units maybe. If it does maybe I can change out the art with another unit for systems that can't handle the freebooter unit.

Edit: you don't need to play as a Privateer Leader to take advantage of all the features of the game. Privateer leaders only change the starting units and leader traits.

Okay, it may be a bit. The long weekend will probably prompt my wife to actually make me do something other than gaming :)eek:) and then I start college (again) on Wednesday! Hopefully I can get in an hour or two tomorrow night to see if I can get it to work.

I think I saw someone else had this problem with just the Apache leader but its for all the indians for me. Unless I plop a village down right next to an indian village I don't hear anything. I sent scouts all over and met every village and I got the money and things and found out what they wanted and what they could train in but only threw the graphic picutre not the leader pop up. The only one that worked was the Sioux and that was only the village RIGHT next to city. I wanted to train some cotton planter and sugar planters there in the indian villages because unless I'm wrong I can't get them in Europe. I click on the button to live there and nothing happens then I take them OUT and next turn put bak in and I get the popup sayin Live among natives etc etc and when i click it.. nothing still. Maybe I need to activate something? Please let me know. Also, I tried a fresh map with just world builder and just plopped down colonists to test it out so i know its not just the exact game i was in. Please let me know I really like this MOD!

Top Bottom