BtS MTDG - Game Settings & Map

I don't like the idea of water and/or mountain blockers. I want something balanced but different for each player. I also want a map that's realistic not one that has a bunch of mountains in the center. Is anyone with me on an island map like I said.

Please don't make a map with too snaky continents making glh too powerful(add some larger continents as well).

Personally i think a map makers intervenion is not bad. As long as it does not time i doubt he'll make the map much worse :p. But yeah spending months on it is obviously not a good idea...

I really don't like an island map as being isolated, or separated by water makes the game too much solo and less interaction between teams...

I think I'm trying to stay with a standard map that would require very little tweaking because one of the surest ways to kill interest is to delay the start of the game several weeks while a map-maker tweaks.

The game is going to take about 2-4 weeks to get started, but that's because you guys have to decide on what civs to play, the game settings, which map script to pick, the degree of customization, etc.

Once the teams have decided and I have all that info, I can produce the actual map in as little as 24 hours. :)

Wow, 3 posts in 2 minutes. Me, oyzar and sulla. I do think we are not going to be able to meet our November 30th start date.

The game is going to take about 2-4 weeks to get started, but that's because you guys have to decide on what civs to play, the game settings, which map script to pick, the degree of customization, etc.
It could be parallelized though. We should first decide on game senttings and map script, and degree on customization. Then you can start on the map, while we decide what sides to play.

I have a suggestion. I think peter grimes' list is a good starting point - but what about making it the whole of our decision? Do we really need to decide more than that? I think not. Let Sullla make an interesting map based on those wishes of ours, I'm sure it will turn out great, and it will be a bit more of a surprise for us when we start playing. I really liked the unpredictability part of the start of the Civ3 MTDG2, where we gave Rik Meleet just that kind of freedom - and I love the map too.

Don't you have to chose the civs before you start the game though? But yeah an unpredictable map would be nice, though contact needs to be decided on. If tech trading is on i think it should be fair if it is at least possible for everyone to contact everyone before optics.

I have a suggestion. I think peter grimes' list is a good starting point - but what about making it the whole of our decision? Do we really need to decide more than that? I think not. Let Sullla make an interesting map based on those wishes of ours, I'm sure it will turn out great, and it will be a bit more of a surprise for us when we start playing. I really liked the unpredictability part of the start of the Civ3 MTDG2, where we gave Rik Meleet just that kind of freedom - and I love the map too.
I agree, Sullla already has a pulse on the kind of map we want, why don't we just let him go hog wild and enjoy himself and see what he comes up with. I trust GA to prevent him from doing something too evil :p

OK, building on what's been said immediately above:

1. tactically and strategically challenging terrain, whether that be water barriers or mountain barriers, or a combination thereof.
2. Yes to roughly equal starts, but not a formally balanced map.
3. Contact between all teams should be possible without Optics
4. Mundus planus non est. ;)

The thing I like about this approach is we won't have any idea what to expect when the game starts. If we all know that it's an Islands map, then that leads all the teams down a certain early path...

If we all have to discover the geography for ourselves, then the teams are free to start discussing which leader and civ to choose without waiting for the map.

:agree: Let's leave this discussion here and give Sullla free hands. And we can all go discuss more interesting things in private. :D

Can I throw in my few pennies worth here?

1. Difficulty Level: Not lower than Monarch
2. Map Script: It would be nice to have something that leaves a few islands beyond reach before Optics so we can have a colonisation rush. But all civs can contact each other before optics.
3. Climate: Don't care
4. SeaLevel: Medium
5. Era:Ancient
6. World Wrap: Globe
7. Resources: Standard and imbalanced so trades are more important.

Won't it also be nice to pic leaders before we know what kind of map it will be?

Though I am a newbie to this, here my favourite settings and why:

1. Difficulty Level: Prince or higher (it doesn't matter a lot though)
2. Map Script: "It would be nice to have something that leaves a few islands beyond reach before Optics so we can have a colonisation rush. But all civs can contact each other before optics." I agree to this. Archipelago and snaky contis are ok too. Bute definitely not Pangea or standard continents.
3. Climate: standard or tropical (worked best for me in the past)
4. SeaLevel: don't care
5. Era: Ancient
7. Resources: Standard and imbalanced. Makes it more intersting and challenging

It will never be perfectly balanced, so after the kind of map is figured out, you have to carefully chose your civ and leader. Will we be able to mix civ and leader? I suppose as it will probably be some kind of island map, sailing will be essential. I don't expect an very early war, as long as you don't have an aggressive/expansive civ as neighbour.

I've been playing Civ since it first came out, as well as Colonization, Call of Power and of course Alpha Centauri. So this means I am playing Civ for the last 17 years?! Man I am getting old...

As some people pointed out, we should not know too much about the map before the game starts.

If we compare with the Civ3 MTDG, we did just know/propose the size of the map, difficulty lvl and barb settings, but the rest was up to the map maker.

Otherwise the choice of civs would definately be others than the actual choices. The participants know, what I mean :).

I think the teams should not be able to select the leader/civ that - in their opinion - fits best to the map, but they should make the best out of what they get. I think this is part of the challenge.

" Let's leave this discussion here and give Sullla free hands. And we can all go discuss more interesting things in private. "

Agreed.

1. Difficulty level: Monarch - Emperor sounds good
2. Map Script: Anything where you don't get a whole island to yourself. Some sort of land rush/actual borders would be nice.
3. Climate: Temperate is fine
4. Sea level: Err... normal? Don't care
5. Era: Ancient for sure
7. Resources: Standard, obviously checking to make sure no one is screwed without iron/oil.

Works for me, too!

I'll just add, since it's not in peter grimes' list, that I think a medium-high difficulty level would be best in terms of research pace, city costs, and the like.

Difficulty level should either be noble or deity. Anything in between is silly.. Noble if we want a standard game, diety if we want to have a bit higher costs and more barbs... The difference isn't really that big though... Here are the effects of different difficulties. Remeber there is no AI that get effected by the difficulty as such the impact is much lower.

Attachments

• difficulty.JPG
    difficulty.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 317
Thanks for the chart Ozyar!

I'd vote for Noble. I think it's a bit more fun that away - not as slow of going.
But I'm ok with Deity also.

Oh, and I LOVE the idea of just giving Sulla some basic parameters, and then letting him surprise us with a great map. :thumbsup:

Imo with tech trading things are going pretty fast on normal speed already, so i think diety without barbs would be best, but difficulty, barbs and huts kinda depend a bit on each other...

Noble with tech trading on would likely see us in the modern times at 1000 AD. I'd prefer Deity (with barbies off).

Top Bottom