SGOTM 15 - Misfit Gypsy Nuts

Agree with c63 and sleepless to go at 0%. I've experienced the AI significantly dropping their peace deal offer after you've taken a few cities and their capital.

Agreed I've also noticed the AI get upset when you take there capital and won't give as many techs.

Edit. Noticed the deadline is May 21st only 6 weeks away so we might need to get a move on. :)

Agreed I've also noticed the AI get upset when you take there capital and won't give as many techs.

Edit. Noticed the deadline is May 21st only 6 weeks away so we might need to get a move on. :)

:agree: How we doin Oz???

PPP for the next few turns starting 150AD - if everyone happy will be able to play a few turns tomorrow

RESEARCH

0% research into Philosophy

CITY BUILDS

Delhi = finish Cat; continue building Cats; build/whip a Temple only if Happiness becomes a problem.

Other 4 Indian Cities...
finish Catapult build
build Axeman
alternate building Axes & Cats
build/whip a Temple only if Happiness becomes a problem. When fighting nearly done, build courthouses???

Osaka...
1-pop whip Granary @ Size 2
build Courthouse???

Newly captured Japanese cities (if any) follow same template as Osaka.

FAST WORKER ACTION PLAN

Haven't taken a real close look at the Workers. In general, continue building Farms & Mines, maybe pre-chop a few Forests.

THE WAR

Take Osaka and Tokyo and see what we can get for peace (currently offering everything...)

CIVICS CHANGES & OTHER STUFF

Get into Bureaucracy now, Civil Service as well???

Anyone else notice that we are essentially broke, +3 at 0%, will have to bring the economy back quickly.

Will be nice toward Hammygawa & Lizzygawa & Hatsegawa and any other ****gawa we might meet.

Merge the GG into Delhi now???

REASONS TO PAUSE

Hammy or Liz or Hattie offer us a trade, or a trade becomes available that we could offer one of them.
We meet another ****gawa.
Anything out of the ordinary (like a large English stack of units showing up).
Take Osaka and Tokyo and see what peace will bring

I did mention about the lack of cash. ;)

Delhi can work its cottages which are a bit better under bureaucracy to help. Also once the military are building we shouldn't need anymore (certainly cats) if we are just going to take Tokyo and Kyoto. Also the sooner the better imho. We can afford to promote some cats cr/barrage and suicide once Kyoto's defence has gone. Move units so there not attacking across the river at Tokyo.

Civics I would change to bureau now but keep slave/theo (or OR)/rep. Look to change to caste once we've whipped in hindu temples/monasteries every where. Also need to get hindu missionaries to old Japanese cities.

Def stop once we have taken Kyoto/Tokyo and we can re-evaluate from there.

Last thought the GG. As we are going to need to keep building units I would keep one city on military(HE) full time so believe it should be settled there rather than Delhi or a legendary city. Probably Palitpura would be best for this in my mind.

I also think the current military builds should be sufficient for our needs.

I also think we need to get into our cultural civics asap. The only question I have is when and how much we want to jump between slavery and caste.

How many more units do we think we need to build?

Can Delhi switch to Monastery -> Missionaries now? Spreading Hindu to uor new Japanese cities gives us an extra :gold: from the Shrine as well as enabling +2:hammers: temple builds. I also agree that switching Delhi from mines to cottages/farms is a good idea.

I don't think we get all that much benefit out of a GG settled in a production centre. +2 XP is kind of average compared to the potential benefits of having it in Delhi, where we might get better use out of the :culture: output if we build Sistine chapel.

If we're winding down military production in other Indian cities, I think the next builds should be Hindu temples first. Libraries next. Then courthouses. Some more Fast Workers wouldn't hurt either.

Again, my first question: How many more units do we think we need to build?

The current military might be sufficient, it certainly is to take the two cities before 10 turns of peace (when we can reassess).

I think the GG is better in Delhi as well.

Template for cities becomes current military/Temples/Libraries/courthouses. Monasteries are good as well as they are 2 culture and 2 hammers (temples 1 culture). Will switch Delhi to missionary output after current build.

Three turns till we have Tokyo and Kyoto? Wow, we're doing better than I thought :D

If this is the case, then I'm almost certain that new military builds are useless since they won't reach the front line before we sue for peace.

Are we currently in Representation? If yes, I would stay there. And again, if yes, we should really decide where to settle the GG before Oz plays. No sense delaying and missing out on X turns of 3:science: per turn (more if settled in Delhi).

Looking at Griff's screenshot of the front line - that swordsman northeast of Tokyo - is it a threat to our catpult, or does it have low HP? If it is, then can we spare an axe from Osaka or Bombay to cover the catapult?

Agree that existing military + those currently in production should be sufficient to take Kyoto & Tokyo.

In Delhi, moving the two eastern Grass Hill Mines to the two northern Cottages would improve our Treasury Income from +3 gold/turn to +7 gold/turn @ 0% Science. With those moves, converting to Bureaucracy should net us another 9 or 10 gold/turn @ 0% Science. Converting to Bureaucracy will also make up for the hammers lost from moving off those two Mines.

Yes, we are in representation now. I'm for Settling the GGeneral in Delhi now.

The Japanese Swordsman NE of Tokyo has a strength of 3.1/6. Our Axeman 1N of Tokyo could attack him at 93.75% odds, but there are not other Axemen in the stack to protect the 4 Cats in case of a counter attack from Tokyo.

EDIT: Tokyo only has 1 Swordsamn & 1 Archer to attack our unprotected Cats, and they would have to attack across the river, so attacking the NE Swordsman with our Axeman might be worth the risk.

@Oz, playing to capture the cities tonight is Ok by me. Good Luck!

Saw the wounded sword and wasn't too worried about it, not enough hp to kill the cat and the AI is unlikely to attack given this. I'll look at whether attacking with the axe is worth it (ie will it delay taking Tokyo).

I'm sensing that settling the GG in Delhi now is the desired outcome (only Sleepless has a dissenting voice atm), so will do so.

If the sword doesn't attack, isn't it likely to retreat to Tokyo and heal? Perhaps killing it now is in our interest? If Tokyo is full of archers then I wouldn't be concerned about them attacking our stack of undefended catapults. If the sword in there does attack and we lose a catapult then it is essentially a trade of 1 sword for 1 catapult - not a bad deal in my opinion.

Don't forget we need as many axes as there are defenders to take the city, since catapults can't kill outright. The axe coming from the tile SE of Bombay could reach Tokyo a turn faster if the two workers near Bombay cancelled their actions and built a road SE of their current position.

Can we spare the axe in Bombay or Osaka in order to get more units to Tokyo in a short space of time? Bombay could change its current build to an axe which would complete in 1 turn.

The 2 workers north of Tokyo could stop their current action and build a road to speed the troops heading to Tokyo.

I also favor settling GG in Delhi.

Everything else seems to have been mentioned already.

Good Luck!

Good luck Ozbenno.

Will point out my only concern with the GG is any military we will build (and we will need them) will have 5 xp i.e 2 promotions. I doubt Delhi will be building much military now so settling if we want the 2 culture (presuming Sistines) surely better in what would be our weakest cultural city.

As mentioned I would much rather have a city producing mil all the time and heavily garrissoning our choke points. Perhaps I'm wrong in my thoughts. Have to wait and see what liz sends our way. :). Doubt Ghengis will be much behind her either. :lol:

Can someone please take this set?

Did think of offering just to play the next few turns as they would be a good stopping point with the taking of Kyoto but unable to play for about 24 hrs now so if someone would like to jump in for a couple of turns I'm all for it. :)

I'm not in any position to take the save either. 24 hours isn't bad in the greater scheme of things.

Regarding generating Military, for the most part I think it is an unecessary expense to continue producing military during peace time. It is definitely appropriate to have a decent garrison in our choke point cities, perhaps a good mix of 5-6 units. The lay of our land suggests we only need to do this in two cities. Beyond that I think we will just be adding more maintenance and slowing our tech/culture rate down.

If we get declared on out of the blue we should get at least 3 turns warning - turn 1 we see a WHEEOHRN stack on the horizon, turns 2-3 are spent moving through our cultural borders. Given that we can switch to Slavery for free (Spiritual) we could easily whip out an extra 2 defenders in those three turns. And then the AI wastes more time bombarding away our cultural defenses (which will be 40%+) during which more defenders are whipped and more defenders have arrived from our nearby cities.

This all assumes we haven't already forced an end to the war using the AP.

Regarding Liz - we don't actually know what direction she will be coming from do we? Given that we saw her scout in Osaka, it's likely she'll be coming through Toku's lands. But she also has contact with Hammu, so for all we know her shortest route is that way. If she does declare on us, I expect we can get Hammu to immediately declare on her via the AP.

Well if no-one objects I'll look to play in about 16 hrs from now using Ozbenno's PPP. Settle GG in Delhi and stop once we take Tokyo and Kyoto or anything else bad happens. :)

Top Bottom