Guess the New Civs

About city states, I would include a few mesoamerican ones, the area was filled with them after all.

Teotihuacan-(Commercial) Unique resource Jade
Tlaxcala- (Militaristic)
Tula- (Religous)

I dont get it why both Teotihuacan and Tlaxcala are in the Aztec city list, Teotihuacan wasnt even around when the Aztecs migrated, and Tlaxcala was esentially their archnemesis.

Anyway, Teotihuacan at its height had a massive empire controling trade routes all the way to central america, I think they fit the commercial CS type. their resourse is jade, after all, jade was precious in mesoamerica.

Tlaxcala gets the militaristic trait, even if the Aztecs were strangling them for decades, when the Spanish arrived they proved to be decisive in defeating the Aztecs.

Tula, the Toltecs were the empire the Aztecs were trying to emulate, and claimed to be heirs from. The toltecs were very militaristic, controlling central Mexico and several Mayan cities, their influence can be seen for example in Chichen Itza, they expanded their religion like no other mesoamerican civ before them, while the feathered snake can be atributed to Toetihuacan, its later form, Quetzalcoatl (the God King) is Toltec, the Aztecs adopted much of their religion as did the Mayans in the form of Kukulcan. I think they are the best candidate for religous mesoamerican CS.

About city states, I would include a few mesoamerican ones, the area was filled with them after all.

Tlaxcala- (Militaristic)
Tula- (Religous)

I dont get it why both Teotihuacan and Tlaxcala are in the Aztec city list, Teotihuacan wasnt even around when the Aztecs migrated, and Tlaxcala was esentially their archnemesis.

Anyway, Teotihuacan at its height had a massive empire controling trade routes all the way to central america, I think they fit the commercial CS type. their resourse is jade, after all, jade was precious in mesoamerica.

Tlaxcala gets the militaristic trait, even if the Aztecs were strangling them for decades, when the Spanish arrived they proved to be decisive in defeating the Aztecs.

Tula, the Toltecs were the empire the Aztecs were trying to emulate, and claimed to be heirs from. The toltecs were very militaristic, controlling central Mexico and several Mayan cities, their influence can be seen for example in Chichen Itza, they expanded their religion like no other mesoamerican civ before them, while the feathered snake can be atributed to Toetihuacan, its later form, Quetzalcoatl (the God King) is Toltec, the Aztecs adopted much of their religion as did the Mayans in the form of Kukulcan. I think they are the best candidate for religous mesoamerican CS.

Well, even the Aztecs tried to emulate Teotihuacan's empire, which was the largest of any Mexican Pre-Columbian empire.
You'll also notice some other pre-Aztec cities in that list, and the P'urhepecha, who weren't even similar to the Aztecs. I never got it, seeing as it wouldn't be hard to make an Aztec-only city list.

I know, playing Aztecs I always have to rename my cities, but Tlaxcala is the worst offender... Its like giving Carthage to Rome as third city.

Tlaxcala- (Militaristic)
Tula- (Religous)

Nice choices.

Tula/Tollan (or any of its many names) and its supposed history is one of my favorite pieces of history in the era.

In the Popol Vuh (Basically the Maya Equivalent of the Bible) its name is cited as being where the Maya got language and gifts from the gods. After years of travel on the sea supposedly the Maya arrived at Tula.

Supposedly my ancestors (The Kaqchikel) came from a different lineage and stole fire from the Maya and had a different god and pantheon than the rest of the Maya. But according to the Popol Vuh after Tula we eventually became more "Maya-esique".

Well away from my tangent; I would love to have Tula as a Religious City State.

Pangur Bán;11386326 said:
Is there a way to get the developers to use Celtic names for the Celtic city list? It just puts me off to see a mixture of Celtic, English and French names, when a fully Celtic one is possible if you ask guys (like me) knowledgable in such things.

Most city lists use English translations for cities whenever possible. For example, the capital of Rome isn't Roma.

I thought that turned out to have actually been invented by CivFanatics staff, not to be a 2K April Fool's? If so, I wouldn't expect them to have foreknowledge of what's in or out beyond what's already been revealed.

And I'll say it again: the details we've been given so far are to generate interest and publicity. If the Zulus were in, chances are they'd have been top of the list for an early preview along with the Maya and the Netherlands - after all, who's ever asked for a Hun civilization? Does anyone much care about having the Celts as a civ?

it had nothing to do with 2k, but people don't seem to believe that.
and they can definitely drop a bombshell like zulu at the last minute.
and a lot of people wanted celts and huns. if i remember correctly, there was a mod released the day after civ 5 came out that added the celts as a civilization and i think i remember it being pretty successful, so that definitely says something. as for the huns, there have been tons of threads where people have argued about whether or not they should be in the game.
one person's preference really doesn't mean much for everybody else. for example, i really don't care about korea at all, but lots of people were excited about it being added into the game when it was.

Most city lists use English translations for cities whenever possible. For example, the capital of Rome isn't Roma.

Quite frankly i am bit surprised they are using Modern city names for Celts, my memory recalls that neither Civ 4 or Civ 3 had Dublin and Edinburgh (or Cardiff, which is I think 3rd/4th city for Celts in Civ 5), at least not straight away.

it had nothing to do with 2k, but people don't seem to believe that.
and they can definitely drop a bombshell like zulu at the last minute.
and a lot of people wanted celts and huns. if i remember correctly, there was a mod released the day after civ 5 came out that added the celts as a civilization and i think i remember it being pretty successful, so that definitely says something. as for the huns, there have been tons of threads where people have argued about whether or not they should be in the game.
one person's preference really doesn't mean much for everybody else. for example, i really don't care about korea at all, but lots of people were excited about it being added into the game when it was.

I'm basing that mainly on 'what Civs should be added?' lists I've seen around here. I don't recall the Huns getting a mention, and the civs people wanted were dominated by the Netherlands, Maya, Zulu and a few that hadn't been in the game before. My own preference, Khmer, wasn't mentioned by many, but I noticed it more than references to the Celts.

The key thing going for the idea is the leader - it does make a lot of sense for Bolivar to be in the game as South America's representative.

We've had the discussion over predecessor/successor states - and while I hope the Khmer make it in, Asia is at least moderately well-represented already. Having a second Peruvian civ, particularly one like the Chachapoyas who basically map onto the territory later claimed by the Inca, in an otherwise empty continent would be odd, as would having two for Mali and nowhere else for Africa. I'm also not sure what you'd add for them - mountain mummies?

Alexander is the leader of 'Greece' in the game, but it's not "his" Greece. Sparta was never under Alexander's rule (he even styled himself "King of all the Greeks except the Spartans"), yet that's the Greek second city in the game.

Sorry didnt see this post earlier...

======

The Chachapoya have much more than just "mountain mummies". Along with Tiwanaku their territory was considered among the holiest in the Andes. They were a prevalent trading civilization that traded goods much further and to a larger extent than any civ prior or even after them in South America. Their populations were huge and were one of the most important civs in the Americas in regards to influence in their region. Fighting against the Huari, Inca, Spanish, etc. and in fact ending the Huari threat in South America. They revolutionized/introduced forms of pottery, mummification, fortress building, etc.

As I have said before the Chachapoya are to the Inca as the Maya/Olmec are to the Aztecs with plenty of significant differences (City State Coalitions, More Trade Focused, Major Religious importance, Jungle and Mountain based civ, etc.)

===

Now I understand from previous posts of yours you group the Maya and Aztecs together as in practically the "same region" so perhaps that comparison isn't the best here, but in truth their region/niche is different in many ways and geographically.

I'm basing that mainly on 'what Civs should be added?' lists I've seen around here. I don't recall the Huns getting a mention, and the civs people wanted were dominated by the Netherlands, Maya, Zulu and a few that hadn't been in the game before. My own preference, Khmer, wasn't mentioned by many, but I noticed it more than references to the Celts.

i've seen tons of threads on here where people have talked about the celts and huns, especially the celts. i'm not really sure how i feel about the huns, either, but a lot of people want them.

I think Celts are popular. I know I'm all for them.

Huns weren't really announced early. They were just mentioned kind of offhand in an interview explaining why they threw in a Fall of Rome scenario. They weren't one of the official mentions when the game was announced. I wouldn't call their confirmation proof that only unpopular civs are going in at this point.

Quite frankly i am bit surprised they are using Modern city names for Celts, my memory recalls that neither Civ 4 or Civ 3 had Dublin and Edinburgh (or Cardiff, which is I think 3rd/4th city for Celts in Civ 5), at least not straight away.

In Civ2, the capital was Cardiff, so there is precedent.

If the leader is a Briton, then the capital should be in Britain. Colchester is a good capital, that was where the Romans built their capital when they conquered Britain (moved to London after revolt). Colchester is Camulodunum in 1st century Celtic, I guess it would be Dun Camelo or Caer Camelo if it survived in Celtic later (though it is clearly the model for Camelot and possibkt "King Cole" of later legend). Edinburgh sorta makes sense as the centre of the "Men of the North" and because it is an important settlement and is not in England, but 'Edinburgh' is a semi-calque from variants of Dun Etin/Din Eidyn (modern Gaelic Dùn Èideann).

Technically, if Boudicca is the leader of the Celts, the capital should be Venta Icenorum. But that sounds too Roman, and Caistor St. Edmund sounds like something out of Blackadder.

I don't think you need to be that specific, since Iceni is not a civ and there may be new leaders in future. And, yes, too Roman. People need to be aware that, though from a French or Italian or English perspective, the Celtic past vanished in the Roman or early medieval period, Celtic was still spoken in about half the British Isles throughout the Middle Ages.

Pangur Bán;11388014 said:
I don't think you need to be that specific, since Iceni is not a civ and there may be new leaders in future. And, yes, too Roman. People need to be aware that, though from a French or Italian or English perspective, the Celtic past vanished in the Roman or early medieval period, Celtic was still spoken in about half the British Isles throughout the Middle Ages.

And is still alive and well (albeit on government-sponsored life-support) in Wales, parts of Scotland and arguably Cornwall.

I think it would have been neat if they had used Celtic forms for the city names rather than Anglicised forms - even using the different languages (so we could have had Dùn Èideann, Caerdydd, etc) - but I can equally see why they chose not to go down that route.

I'll be unimpressed if Boudicca ends up speaking Scottish Gaelic, though.

Am I the only one who can't wait to play the new civilizations in the Gods and Kings expansion? So far we know that Carthage, Maya, Netherland, Celtic, Huns, and Byzantium shall be added.... but what about the other three, considering that there shall be nine new civs? I am taking some pot shots and considering the Zulu, Polish, and Sioux... perhaps Belgians? Can't be sure! Anyone have thoughts on this subject of new civilizations? :D

Top Bottom