Rhye´s and Fall of PBEM

Imperator Knoedel

Simperator Knoedel
Note for any mods that might stumble across this thread: Please correct the wrong apostrophe in the title and feel free to remove this note. Thanks in advance. :)

Very creative title, I know. Sue me. :p

I have been planning to start a PBEM with the Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod (or the Multiplayer version of it to be exact, you can get it here) for quite some time now, but first I had to test whether it actually works as a PBEM, and then I had my hands full with graduating high school followed by some vacations and I basically just forgot about it until I played two livegames over the last week with Nighthawk et al.

So now that I know that it can be done, I want to invite you, dear visitor of this thread, to join me in my attempt to recreate the human history of the last 5.000 years with an epic PBEM in which all of the 27 playable civs are controlled by humans. That´s right, a whopping 27! Of course this doesn't necessarily equate to 27 players, as older civs will fall while new ones Rhye's rise, but one should still keep in mind that this game is going to become humongous one day, even though we start with only 4 civs.

I would also like to add some twists: Even though all victory conditions are enabled (mainly for fear that turning any one off would interfere with any civ's UHV, for example Russia´s third is to build the Apollo Program by 1950 which would obviously be impossible without Space Race victory enabled) it is encouraged for all players to pursue the respective Unique Historical Victory of their civilization. I don't assume that anyone will actually manage to fulfill all 3 UHV conditions for his/her civ, (if I am mistaken then more power to whoever does) since his/her rivals will most likely intervene if they see someone getting too far ahead. Also I will allow a player whose civ has been defeated to take over a new one when it spawns if we can´t find any new players to join the game.
So how do we keep players from acting ahistorical (say Babylon rushes everyone for a Turn 53 Conquest victory) or to use their first civ only as a springboard preparing infrastructure and troops for a new civ they plan to take over and actually win with (say Rome´s player pumps the cities in France full with buildings and leaves all of his troops there before the civ collapses, expecting that he will take over France once it spawns and then take over the world with Baguette eating Legions, no offense)?
Easy, by determining the winner with the following way:
Once somebody has won the game, no matter by which means, we will assign each player one point per UHV condition (s)he fulfilled and any other victory (s)he scored. If someone has controlled several civs, (s)he receives the average of all his/her civs taken together. The person with the highest number of points is declared the winner. If two or more people are tied the one who won ingame (be it by getting a UHV which btw does not count as an additional point by itself or Culture or even Time) is declared victorious if (s)he is one of the players with the most points.

An example for illustration:
Player 1 has controlled first Egypt and later England, didn´t fulfill any of the UHV conditions of the former but two of the latter. He ended the game by winning domination.
Player 2 has only controlled Persia, but has fulfilled two of its UHV conditions by the point when Player 2 got his domination victory.
Player 1 receives 0 points for Egypt and 3 points for England (2 for UHV conditions and one for winning by domination). The average of 0 and 3 is ((0+3)/2=) 1.5, which is the number of points he receives.
Player 2 gets 2 points for 2 fulfilled UHV conditions, and is thus declared the winner by virtue of having more points than Player 1.
Now if Player 1 had fulfilled at least one of Egypt's UHV conditions they would be tied and he would be crowned as the winner instead because he ended the game with his Domination victory.

I do hope my explanation wasn´t too complicated. If they are you can always ask me for clarifications.

Something that still has to be discussed is how to treat reborn civilizations. Do we force the former player to retake control over it even if (s)he is currently playing another? Do we let someone new join to take it over and if yes for whose score the fulfilled UHV conditions of that civ count then? For the player that had it originally or the one who took over?
I think this matter still has time, but nonetheless it needs to be addressed.

Egypt - Ramesses II - Starting year: 3000BC (Turn 0) - 0/3 UHVs - Eclipse4449 (0 Points) - DEAD
India - Asoka - Starting year: 3000BC (Turn 0) - 0/3 UHVs - methinkso (0 Points) - DEAD
China - Qin Shi Huang - Starting year: 3000BC (Turn 0) - 0/3 UHVs - kiwitt (0 Points)
Babylonia - Hammurabi - Starting year: 3000BC (Turn 0) - 1/3 UHVs - Imp. Knoedel (1 Point)
Greece - Pericles - Starting year: 1600BC (Turn 50) - 0/3 UHVs - Civilized77 (0 Points)
Persia - Cyrus - Starting year: 850BC (Turn 84) - 0/3 UHVs - ReallyEvilMuff (0 Points)
Carthage - Hannibal - Starting year: 820BC (Turn 86) - 0/3 UHVs - Tigranes (0 Points)
Rome - Augustus Caesar - Starting year: 760BC (Turn 90) - 0/3 UHVs - Nighthawk419 (0 Points)
Japan - Tokugawa - Starting year: 655BC (Turn 97) - 0/3 UHVs - Funky - (0 Points)
Ethiopia - Zara Yaqob - Starting year: 295BC (Turn 121) - 0/3 UHVs - Hercules90 - (0 Points)

Maya - Pacal II - Starting year: 65AD (Turn 145) - landlubber - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Vikings - Ragnar - Starting year: 545AD (Turn 177) - AdrienIer - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Arabia - Saladin - Starting year: 620AD (Turn 183) - Sanguivorant - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Khmer - Suryavarman II - Starting year: 660AD (Turn 187) - Atreju - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Spain - Isabella - Starting year: 720AD (Turn 193) - - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
France - Louis XIV - Starting year: 750AD (Turn 196) - Dhoomstriker - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
England - Victoria - Starting year: 820AD (Turn 203) - - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Germany - Bismarck - Starting year: 840AD (Turn 205) - gpcii - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Russia - Stalin - Starting year: 860AD (Turn 207) - Terxpahseyton - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Netherlands - Willem van Oranje - Starting year (Turn 213): 920AD - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Mali - Mansa Musa - Starting year: 980AD (Turn 220) - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Portugal - Joao II - Starting year: 1130AD (Turn 234) - volbound1700 - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Inca - Huayna Capac - Starting year: 1150AD (Turn 236) - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Mongolia - Genghis Khan - Starting year: 1190AD (Turn 240) - ReallyEvilMuff - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Aztec - Montezuma - Starting year: 1200AD (Turn 241) - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
Turkey - Mehmed II - Starting year: 1280AD (Turn 249) - CaterpillarKing - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points
America - Roosevelt - Starting year: 1775AD (Turn 346) - 0/3 UHVs - 0 Points

Stability map for every civilization. Note: They may not all be up to date or identical to the stability maps used in the MP variant.

House Rules:

*No spawnkilling.

*You may only change the civics of a civ if you have more espionage points against them than they have against you.

*If a human is the vassal of another human, the master may demand one resource as tribute every turn. If the vassal does not comply they must break the capitulation at the soonest opportunity. The vassal may cancel every such tribute as soon as the game allows, meaning a master can only have a maximum of 10 resources sent for free by their vassal at any one point unless the vassal sends them voluntarily.

Unassigned Reserve Players:
calad

Well, don't jump me all at once. :/

Egypt for me at the start but have several questions, I'll post them ASAP

It seems only 4 players start in 3,000bc but I really want to play as Persia. Based on this, will I be offered Persia or will everyone be offered Persia?

Will the game stop when the first new civilization is born and offer to have 5 players and so on?

Egypt for me at the start but have several questions, I'll post them ASAP

It seems only 4 players start in 3,000bc but I really want to play as Persia. Based on this, will I be offered Persia or will everyone be offered Persia?

Will the game stop when the first new civilization is born and offer to have 5 players and so on?

You mean ingame or by me? It's been a while since I playtested the mod as PBEM, but I don't think ths a popup like in singleplayer.
Outside, well if you control Egypt on the start I will only offer you control over Persia if Egypt has already collapsed at the point of its spawn and nobody that hasn't controlled one of the initial civs wants to take it.
If you only want Egypt to hold you over until Persia I'd recommend you to just sit out the time in the queue and let someone else play the first 5 civs, since I can't reliably expect you to collapse Egypt in time for Persia's birth nor do I want you to actively try to destroy your own civ ASAP. Since you were the first to lay claim on Persia I can reserve it for you though.
To be honest I don't really think that any civ earlier than Ethiopia or Maya will be played by someone who already had an older civ, and even for those two Babylonia's player will probably be the only one eligible.

Welcome on board methinkso, but keep in mind that you might be stuck with India well into the ADs considering your UHV conditions.

Ok then, I would like Persia when it becomes available. this opens up maybe Turkey later on, they are close together

Spoiler :
I would guess at least 2 of my other games will be finished by then.

I doubt my "The Cradle of these Civilizations" will ever start solely because if it is a full game it will be to long, if it is just to play the Prehistoric Age" players might think that is to short, but in short the later will be full of survivability issues (the map is simply to tough for level 1~2 units)

You know I was coming in this one...

I'm going to take... the Mayans!

yes I know they are late, but I'm hoping to run off some of my other PBEM games before starting a new one, so that should be more than enough time. Any screenshots and updates as you guys play the later ages are welcome!

Also, should I end 1 of my other PBEM games earlier than expected, I will jump up to one of the next available spawns if the Mayans are too far away.

Excited for 1 year in the future! aha

Alrighty then, only one more to choose one of the initial civs and we are good to go.

There are btw some differences between the Multiplayer and the standard version of RFC, as some features had to be removed since they were only compatible with the Singleplayer. Some of the more important ones are Congresses and the mercenary system, the abolition of the latter is the reason why Carthage's UP has been changed from half-cost mercenaries to an additional commerce on water tiles.
Another thing I noticed in my testplay was that apparently Babylon starts at war with the Independents surrounding it, maybe other civs too but when playing Babylon you notice it very quickly.

I'm interested in being a part of this PBEM (Freaking awesome idea dude)

Honestly, I do not know who I want to control, huge debate between Mongolia and Arabia.

I'd have to say Arabia.

After what happened today :spank: -- I just have to join and take Carthage!

Spoiler :
I hope no one will ever learn, what happened! Those teenagers... :gripe:

such a pity that RFC: DoC doesnt support multiplayer

Indeed, but even regular RFC had to cut some corners to support it, imagine the amount of work Leoreth would need for that with all of DoC's extra features.

I'd have to say Arabia.

Alright I'll reserve it for you, but I hope you are aware that it will take quite a while until we get to the point of its birth.

Also I'm not so sure if its such a good idea to publicly proclaim one's email address like that with spambots and whatnot flying around.

What is DoC?

Only about the best mod mod of RFC ever. If your computer can handle it I would definitely recommend you to get it. Unfortunately it crashes every other turn in the ADs for me even with all the Graphics settings at minimum, so I had to give up on it until I finally get around to upgrade my RAM.

After what happened today :spank: -- I just have to join and take Carthage!

Spoiler :
I hope no one will ever learn, what happened! Those teenagers... :gripe:

I pwned him... twice. :lol: Don't feel so bad about it Tigranes, the first time was quite underhanded from me and the second you did give me quite the fight and even managed to raze Rome because of a stupid mistake on my part.

Ok nevermind Persia, I'll take Egypt so we can start

Okay dodey, in that case I'll be the last one in the turn order as Babylonia.
I'm pretty sure I'll die once Persia spawns, so I've got to ask right away: Is it possible for me to still be admin of the game if I'm dead in it? I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue but asking won't hurt.

Now I've got to refresh my memory on how exactly I go about starting the game when I as admin am not the first one in the turn order, just like in the Next War PBEM back in de the day.

Oh and I would like everyone to keep the name of their ingame leader, e.g. Eclipse is Ramesses and not Eclipse on the scoreboard (well not the scoreboard per se as it shows the civs and not the leaders in RFC but you know what I mean) for flavor and the case that reborn civs are AI controlled to keep down confusion.

Anyway I think we should be good to go in some hours.

Okay dodey, in that case I'll be the last one in the turn order as Babylonia.
I'm pretty sure I'll die once Persia spawns, so I've got to ask right away: Is it possible for me to still be admin of the game if I'm dead in it? I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue but asking won't hurt.
I think you'll be alright, there are plenty of game where the Admin never plays outside of a backup player

Now I've got to refresh my memory on how exactly I go about starting the game when I as admin am not the first one in the turn order, just like in the Next War PBEM back in de the day.

You send player #1 the Auto save after the game is setup/launched

I pwned him... twice. :lol:

First time did not really count! We played 1 turn and realized we need universal peace, like in regular Multiplayer!

Ok, you just need to start the game and quit as soon as it asks for first civ. In your Auto folder there will be initial save -- send it to the first player.

Sure you can be admin when you dead: your job is to follow your game, make sure people make their turns, and take over humans (with your admin password) if they are not playing. You don't have to play to have all that fun :)

And off we go! In fact I would have sent the first turn hours ago if Tigranes hadn´t invited me to another live-game.

Top Bottom