G-Major 129

lymond

Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!)
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Race (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Immortal
  • Starting Era: Renaissance
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Normal
  • Map Type: Terra
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Portugal (Joao)
  • Opponents: Must include Aztec (Montezuma), England (Elizabeth), France (Louis XIV), Inca (Huayna Capac), Maya (Pacal), Netherlands (Willem Van Oranje), Spain (Isabella), Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.003s
  • Date: 25th June to 25th July 2014
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Interesting. I think Terra is the best map for Space and starting at the Renaissance era should shorten the games (which is the main reason why I think 10 times before starting a space game)

Hope there'll be some competition!

You may notice a slight theme to this game as well. Too bad you can't force the Natives to start in the New world.

Is there a rule of thumb for when to go state property versus corporations?

Right off the bat, we can build Portugal's UU and settle the new world and you can also run mercantilism and philosophy and get the engineer for mining inc.

State property with the overseas cities and hammer economy or corporations here?

Either way you want to get as close to the dom limit as you can.

I think for this map either SP or Corps will work fine. Depends a bit on how you set up your empire and the resources. If you set it up right, SP can be very powerful for Space using the hammer economy.

Played a few starts to get the hang of what the AI will do.

Right from the start you have some good civic choices. A lot of the AI here like HR.

A ton of Great Engineers will pop up in the first 50 turns. If you are leaning on a starting wonder you better get one 1st. The AP seems to be the unanimous 1st choice of the AI.

2 AI's will go Nationalism 1st, the rest will go Education 1st.

All cities you found will start with 2 pop, Granary, Forge, Aquaduct, and Lighthouse (if coastal). :)

Cities you capture are not guaranteed to have the starting buildings. :(

Settlers cost 237 hammers. Everything else is 10% off.

Everyone will hate Elizabeth. Don't even bother opening borders with her.

Wars will start fairly early even on low sea level map. With 9 players and 7 religions to be handed out, there is a lot of animosity amongst the AI.

I am kind of at odds on what strategy to use. If you use a GS to bulb Education, you have a good shot at Lib with a high commerce start. You also start out with trebs to start and can war immediately. You also can settle the new world well ahead of anyone else.

With many late start games aggressive conquest is usually the best. You have to look for a start with iron and horses so you can conquer your neighbors with knights. You should be able to take out most of the AI with just knights and trebs. I suspect this is better than trying to settle the new world.

Early whips and chops for workers is a must as well.

You really do need to use a great scientist if you want a chance at liberalism. I didn't get an early great scientist for the necessary bulb but was able to trade for all the techs since I put in Mansa and he did a peaceful vassal offer to me. Also was able to steal from him with espionage to get back in the tech game.

I'm really not sure if vassals was the right option here. With no vassals you could settle the new world without worrying about colony maintenance. However the immortal vassals really can tech nicely for you. Also the game is shorter so there isn't as much time to fully settle the world.

With many late start games aggressive conquest is usually the best. You have to look for a start with iron and horses so you can conquer your neighbors with knights. You should be able to take out most of the AI with just knights and trebs. I suspect this is better than trying to settle the new world.

Early whips and chops for workers is a must as well.

You really do need to use a great scientist if you want a chance at liberalism. I didn't get an early great scientist for the necessary bulb but was able to trade for all the techs since I put in Mansa and he did a peaceful vassal offer to me. Also was able to steal from him with espionage to get back in the tech game.

I'm really not sure if vassals was the right option here. With no vassals you could settle the new world without worrying about colony maintenance. However the immortal vassals really can tech nicely for you. Also the game is shorter so there isn't as much time to fully settle the world.

Currently on turn 125 in my game.

I also decided on early conquest too. Expanded to 5 cities. I didn't have horse so I went trebs, maces and pikes to start. Just got infantry. 1 AI dead, another down to one city in the boonies, and working on another.

Currently at 18 cities. Slight tech lead over Ragnar and HC. GNP is double the next current AI. Everyone else is falling further behind. Mining inc in and spread to all cities. Medicine next for sushi. Just went emancipation, so science rate should improve.

I did get the scientist bulb towards lib. Took economics with lib.

I turned off vassal states. I really don't like them. I figured it would be too much work to settle the new world. I was thinking all the wonders are on this continent. Might as well take them.

The one pop whip of a worker to start is nice here.

Adding mansa was a nice touch.

My game was accepted. Any reason it is not showing up in the gauntlet list? bcool has a game that qualifies as well that is not showing up. Not sure if there are more out there.

Top Bottom