SGOTM 20 - The Shawshank Redemption

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your BtS SGOTM 20 Team Thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest.

You can find the Game Details in the first post of the Maintenance Thread. If any changes occur in the game settings or rules, I shall post them in that thread, and edit that post.

Please wait until your team leader/administrator/scribe has reserved a couple of top posts in this thread for game admin information. Then post here to let your team know you have arrived.

Good luck with the game. :)

Turnset Reports

T0, here, and here played by LC - Initial unit moves and discovery of barb triremes.

T0 - T12 played by LC - Settle 1N, met Peter and Suleiman and finish initial worker.

T12 to T15 played by ZPV - Learned AH and met Catherine.

T15 to T24 played by ZPV - Learned Pottery and met Augustus.

T25 to T30 played by WastinTime - Stole worker from Suleiman and met Julius and Napoleon.

T30 to T43 played by WastinTime - Settled city #2 (Ruins), learned Mining and BW and met Louis and Victoria.

T43 to T48 played by Jastrow - Learned Writing, troop buildup for chariot attack on Suleiman

T48 to T53 here, here and here played by Jastrow - Captured Istanbul and spotted the final English culture in the fog.

T53 to T59 played by Mitchum - Learned Sailing and Mysticism, met the final AI and learned the hidden objective, settled Copper City, stole 2 more workers from Suleiman.

Test Saves
T0 initial save
T15 - 3400 BC
T30 - 2800 BC
T43 - 2280 BC

Diplo Data

Peter
- Met on T9

Suleiman
- Met on T10
- DoW and steal worker on T27
- CF on T51
- DoW and steal 2 workers on T58

Catherine
- Met on T14

Augustus Caesar
- Met on T22
- OB on T55

Julius Caesar
- Met on T26
- OB on T51

Napoleon
- Met on T27
- OB on T54

Louis
- Met on T34
- Trade sheep for corn on T56
- OB on T57

Victoria
- Met on T37

Churchill
- Met on T54

From this post.

Stop the Madness!
Mehmed smote his breast and tore his robes. These civil wars must be stopped once and for all.
"There can never be peace as long as brothers fight brothers. Make sure that all internal fights end! - Each nation can only have one free leader. At least one leader of each nation has to be eliminated or be vassalized."
It doesn't matter whose vassal they are.

Checking in.

Hello to our new player Imp. Knoedel.

Also, howdy to our old player i.e. Mitchum :old:
And Hey ya'all, to all our returning members.

Hi there!
Time to get back in the swing of things.

First things, first:

0. Old = wise! ;)

1. Can everyone open this save? If not, there could be a Buffy/Steam issue so now is the time to figure it out.

2. Does anyone have any preference in the play order because they won't be around or want to play early/late in the rotation?

3. Even though we're going to tighten lighten up on the micro, I think we should still have a test game so that we can optimize the timing during the first few turnsets. Right?

4. Does anyone have any general thoughts on this game?

Take control of the Religions! - Only you (or your vassals) may own a Holy City.
Bring them together! - Each of your cities has at least two religions. There are at least seventy temples in your cities.
Promote Equality! - You must adopt and stay in Free Religion upon learning Liberalism.
End the madness! - You will be told how to do that after you capture three Holy Cities or when you have met every other civilization.
Prove that you are a worthy ruler! - You win the game in any way but conquest.

The first requirement says it all. This is initially going to be a Conquest game first and foremost even though we can't win that way, right? So just like every other game, we need a fast start and we need to start rolling over the AI. It would also be nice to find the 9 opponents quickly (or capture 3 Holy Cities) so that we can find out the hidden requirement.

Hey guys!
I'll try to read all team threads and watch out for misunderstood rules at the start. Don't want to have the game decided by unclear wording. Still, if anything is unclear PM me, I'll try to respond as soon as possible!

Something else: I'd like to gather intresting facts during the game for comparisson later. Just like we did after the game for sgotm#19 in the lurker thread. I think it will be a fun read later, and way easier then reading 20k posts of all team threads :)
If one of you or all of you as a team dont want me to include you in that, please let me know. Not sure it it will work at all, depends on how much time I got and how much everyone spams.

Thoughts:

This isn't a space game. I don't think we need to tech very deep into the tech tree.
Silver + grass rivers make this a good Buro capital. We can decide later whether we need to pick up a quick Oxford or not. My guess is not.

I like SIP. It's just a hunch at this point, but fishing starts are sloooow, and we can plonk down a quick second city to build a pair of work boats post BW.

Is there a bounty or a threat to the south? We need to find out - if there's an opportunity to pick up a super city, we need to be in position to do it.

@ ZPV Good points.

What are the things we can discuss now?

1. Starting tech?
2. Unit movements to help decide where to settle?
3. Settling location (after #2)?

If we can get some agreement now, we can quickly move the units when the save comes out. Of course, we may need to fog gaze and or check the save for any sneaky play before we do anything.

BSPollux, since you posted elsewhere you're still tweaking the game, any chance you might alter it based on our strategizing before you post it?

BSPollux, since you posted elsewhere you're still tweaking the game, any chance you might alter it based on our strategizing before you post it?

We are basicaly done since yesterday. We were done way earlier, but decided to do some additional startup testing on the weekend, again. Thats what I was refering to when I said we tweak it.

I wont change the map to fit anyones plans, definately not, that would be biased. If someone would mention a gamebreaking fact/rule/bug which I/we were unaware of that would have huge influence on the game, then I'd react to that. Something like "Team, did you know that theres a bug that makes the AI unable to do x if condition y applies? This will be very important here!"

Issue with SIP.

Not saying we don't SIP, but be sure you realize that we cannot improve the silver or the forested Sheep without Bronze. That city will only have 1 sheep to work with...and we'd need AH which means it takes even longer to get to BW. A couple fishing boats might be better. Or, settle-SW (for deer) might be better; this location also allows us to settle Fish-1S.

But a little scouting might change the whole equation, so let's just agree on scouting directions for now.

Here is the starting screenshot so that it's more clear what we're talking about:

Spoiler :

So far, WT has suggested that we move the archer 2S to the GHill to see what's in the south.

We start with The Wheel, Fishing and Agriculture so of the resources we currently see, only the fish and crab can be improved without further tech. The sheep require AH, the deer require Hunting and one sheep and the silver require BW. So as WT said, we should keep this in mind when deciding where to settle and what to research first.

It looks like a wall of peaks to the west of the deer resource. We'll be able to tell for sure once we get the actual save.

Since this is a modified Pangaea map, settling on the coast "may" not be as critical as say a continents-type map.

Any thoughts on where to move the warrior or scout on T0?

Note that the river mouth by the fish looks unnatural so my guess is that the tiles in that area were modified by the map maker.

By the way, I'll be on vacation and away from my Civ computer starting on Friday so I suggest that someone else volunteer to be the first player. Unless someone else speaks up, I nominate LC to play first since his rig has trouble running the windows calculator let alone a late-game large Civ map... :p

Top Bottom