Buildings from (Wonder) Palace Bugged

MeteorPunch

#WINNING
I'm trying to set up a game where the Palace improvement is a Wonder which gives every civilization a (unbuildable, tech era: none) building in each city on the continent. Usually it works, but the building disappears from the cities after a few turns. Setting it to make the building appear in every city (not just on the continent) was more buggy...sometimes the building would not show up at all. Is this just one of those things?

I would guess that since there can be only one of each Great Wonder in the game, and since every capital creates a Palace when the first city is built, that the result would be like dividing by zero. Unfortunately the 'Gain in every City (on continent)' ability is unavailable to Small Wonders.

I was using Steph's Editor, so I tried it with Quintillus's...same results. Guess it doesn't work, it would be cool if it did, but no big deal.

I was using Steph's Editor, so I tried it with Quintillus's...same results. Guess it doesn't work, it would be cool if it did, but no big deal.

A delayed thought: IIRC unit-producing Wonders which begin on the map at the beginning of a game do not produce units on the first turn.

I'm trying to set up a game where the Palace improvement is a Wonder which gives every civilization a (unbuildable, tech era: none) building in each city on the continent. Usually it works, but the building disappears from the cities after a few turns. Setting it to make the building appear in every city (not just on the continent) was more buggy...sometimes the building would not show up at all. Is this just one of those things?

This is a part of the Great Wonder/Palace paradoxon triggered by two conflicting flags in the editor. The game is triggered to produce a palace in every capital, but a Great Wonder only can exist in one city.

If you have a look in the produced Great wonders screen of Civ 3, you will see, that the palace is only treated by the game to exist in one city for one civ, so the building is forced to appear in every capital by the palace-flag. I think it´s a random decision by the game what city will be treated to hold that GW (so it exists in several capitals) and the civ with this city benefits from the additional buildings that can be triggered by the palace-GW - the other civs here have a problem.

The other question is, what happens if the palace is a SW, as this kind of "building" could be hold by every civ or several civs. it could be especially interesting by introducing certain religions to a civ, for example if if a civ like Saudi Arabia builds the SW "Islam" this could spread a building like a community of that religion to every city of that civ and this building again could be the perequisite for other buildings of that religion to that civ (like mosques, Kaaba, etc.) Civs that build the SW "Christianity" could gain a special building that is the base for churches, cathedrals and so on.

I made a test with the Quintillus editor about that some time ago, but this test was not successful. On the other side, since a longer period I don´t have much time for such tests and may be I did something wrong and somebody else here has more success. :)

If you have a look in the produced Great wonders screen of Civ 3, you will see, that the palace is only treated by the game to exist in one city for one civ, so the building is forced to appear in every capital by the palace-flag. I think it´s a random decision by the game what city will be treated to hold that GW (so it exists in several capitals) and the civ with this city benefits from the additional buildings that can be triggered by the palace-GW - the other civs here have a problem.

How, then, does the game handle the Palace being built in another city or forcibly relocated by conquest?

How, then, does the game handle the Palace being built in another city or forcibly relocated by conquest?

The capitals with the other palaces (set as GW) are not treated as conquered, but I think in the end this doesn´t matter. The game treats the palace as there, so it is not there - or as not there, so it is there. That´s why I called it a paradoxon.

This is the comment of the CivEdit:

"Multiple wonders, small wonders and palaces can be placed. The game will only allow one wonder of each type, and one small wonder and palace of each type per player. When the game is placing cities, if it finds an invalid duplicate, it will be placed in one of the possible locations at random, with precedence given to cities assigned to a civilization (as opposed to a player)."

Top Bottom