Fallout: Tame The Wastes bug reports

I completly removed the mod and reinstall it using the version directly from your link in the main thread and it works fine.

This is probably a very simple fix, but I can't seem to get the GUI to appear in-game.

I'm running it in admin mode (custom shortcut as well as attempting to launch Civ BtS and load the mod manually) and have tried several configurations (Just the download FTTW Alpha4, merging the asset folder from the patch, not merging the folder, etc.) nothing I seem to do causes the GUI to appear, although the scenarios will load up just fine.

I'm running Win7 x64, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help, I'm excited to try out this mod since I exhausted the old C3C Fallout mod several years ago...

hmm...

Running as admin is the standard way to fix this issue..

You have it installed in the main bts folder and not my documents? (it needs to be in the main install folder)

At this moment, I cannot suggest an alternative fix, as I don't know one..

On the bright side though we are currently working on a new version that should solve this issue once and for all with no admin rights required.

This may take a while though as we are currently rebuilding the whole mod structure to be better.

I don't know if 64bit makes a difference (it shoudn't) I am still 32bit so no way to test, but I use windows 7 and that is fine.

Alternately, this is my (almost) latest build, with a different UI code, that should get you round this problem, and at least let you have a play.
K-Fallout_(Pre-A5)

There is a lot of unfinished(unpolished) stuff in this version, like my new events system, that has no effects at the moment, but you can have a nice read! Also the UI needs to be properly layed out and aligned with the new graphics and such, so it doesn't look it's best.

but you will also get to try out some of the latest content like our new map code!

Thanks, that version has the GUI showing up properly. I just have to dismiss several error messages upon loading, and alt-tab out to dismiss a few every so often when a turn appears to hang. Otherwise no major issues.

The game starts out very slowly, though...

hmmmm.... that is slightly worrying...

I know there are some errors like missing civ art movies and such at the beginning, those alt-tab ones are news to me though. Could you post some of them so I can see if I recognise them?

Another thing you can do to deal with assert messages, is play the game in windowed mode, this allows you to deal with messages without having to alt tab, When testing I play windowed mode, but the window is the full size of my screen, so I lose about 1 or 2 cm total.

By start out slow, do you mean performance or game play?

It is also currently running on a debug version, which makes things a little slower and presents many 'non-error' messages, with a release version they won't be there.

The start of the game is simulating the concept of a small group of people struggling to survive, there are things I am working on to get more happening in this stage, the main one is the new event system, that will present a lot of choices and consequences down the road, but this needs to be fully populated with events first.

Currently there are only 3 early game events.

Slow speed was referring to gameplay, in terms of performance it was running just fine on my laptop (4.1Ghz, single core Pentium w/ integrated graphics card - nothing fancy).

I'll screen cap some of the error messages the next time I play, they were mostly just Python exceptions for missing arguments or invalid ones. Nothing game crashing.

I was playing as the Enclave, and the only issue was the fact that I wasn't able to grow my city above Pop 1, and thus really couldn't build any units either. Other civs were producing units, though.

You couldn't grow above 1?!?

Could you elaborate on your situation there, terrain, tech choices, building choices, etc.

I am not surprised you found the game slow! :D

I have never experienced a zero growth situation, a lot of the time I am debating with myself as to whether growth is too fast! :D

If they aren't game breaking then don't worry about the messages, chances are they are platy UI related because I don't have all his 'vanilla' art stuff.

I am surprised you could not grow, with a vault civ even if your terrain is rubbish you can usually build up something with the buildings..

I suggest starting a new game, and if it happens again restart, as you have clearly been dumped in a bad situation, the mapscript is new and more or less untested, but we do know we need to add some kind of starting value optimization stuff so that players get more or less an even start. (my guess is you had a lot of rad wastes and a big health hit. Ghouls would have loved it, humans not so much!)

Also make sure to play on at least a large map, preferably huge, as this gives the mapscript the best chance of working 'well'.

I was working on a building to add food, but around turn 125 the New Reno families sent a couple "city capture" militia into my terrain and camped out... that was when I figured I should probably start over.

I know were are going for a dead earth feel but the base terrains kind of need slight increase in output.

They don't really, there are early improvements and buildings that increase your yield intake fairly significantly.

The only really bad one is rad wastes (formerly floodplains) as these have low output and really bad health negatives, so if you have a few of those hitting your city, it can completely cripple your food intake at the beginning, leading to the kind of situation Ventessel experienced.

However a ghoul next to a heap of rad waste can quickly become like a pig in poop, because ghoul workers can build ghoul farms which produce lots of food on the cheap.

(I do also want to continue and expand this theme with Ghouls and Super mutants giving them all kinds of lovely things connected to fallout and rad waste tiles.)

My dream is to get the game set up to where the best strategy for a ghoul player is to nuke the whole world into a ghoul paradise! :D

Nuking the world into a glowing paradise sounds like fun! :D

Also, Lib.Spi't is right, yields are fine once you get a few improvements up and running. The game is (or at least last time I played) very rng dependant though. If you get a few rad wastes and no forests or resourses, you have no chance.

But the issue of not being able to afford improvements is still prevalent. As it stands right now only the decayed wastes give you ANY commerce. There are no other tiles which do so, without an improvement.

yes but you can get gold from the mayor(overseer) office fairly early on, and I plan to add a few more gold sources to early buildings.

Also like I said we do still need to finish the map script to add some kind of start optimisation to ensure that everyone gets a little something useful, like some forest or ruins.

I have seen it done in mapscripts where it has some post start placement code, where it looks at everyones start, adds up the value of everything, and if it doesn't meet a base value it adds some adjusted terrain/resources, etc. I think it also does the opposite, if a start plot is too good it reduces it some.

Most of my play tests I have thought the land might be too good for a wasteland, you do have to save for those initial improvements, but once you get them things start to boom.

What do you mean by 'rng' randomness, I am wracking my brain trying to decode it!

Also if we can move this convo to the main thread under this one, that would be good, as we are out of Bug land and into game play land.

Let's keep it neat people! :D

Top Bottom