Editor Documentation Errors

Sweet!

I'll be adding this thread to my "Da Rules, Explained" thread in the Future. (I've got a few of the pages done.)

Another possible addition?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=107789

There's a modder's formula at the bottom. I don't think it is explained anywhere in the help file, and the Palace cost in the editor is rather misleading. I hardly ever move my Palace so this was new to me.

Another possible addition?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=107789

There's a modder's formula at the bottom. I don't think it is explained anywhere in the help file, and the Palace cost in the editor is rather misleading. I hardly ever move my Palace so this was new to me.

Cool. :) I'll be updating the 1st post hopefully about once a week. Our links and tests seem to be complementary, which is most helpful indeed.

Many Thanks,

Oz

ozymandias said:
Units with a bombard range of 0 will use their Bombardment Strength for defense, but will only inflict 1 HP of damage no matter what you set the rate of fire as.
This is potentially misleading - the max of one point of damage applies to all defensive bombardment, not just by range=0 units. RoF is only ever applicable to offensive bombardments.

A rather obscure bug that perhaps belongs in this thread; if the victory-spawned unit has a defense >0, and is spawned by an attacking unit taking out the last defender in a city, it will be spawned in the city, but the attacking unit will fail to advance into the city tile, and the city will not be captured. You end up with a unit from one civ inside a city from another!

As I mentioned on Page 1, I'm also hoping this becomes a repository of "tricks of the trade". Along those lines, here's a link to a 2003 (yipes! - that's evidently when I began tinkering with a mod I'm returning to working on ...) thread on Suggested EXISTING rule edits to improve realism or gameplay.

Best To All,

Oz

There was also a similar thread in the Civ3 General Discussions, a while back: Link. :)

Thanks. :) I've bookmarked it - let's see how far we can take this - I was serious in my hope that folks would start posting interesting and/or unusual effects they've achieved to make C3 do things it wasn't handled to do properly (e,g, best way to set up helicopters, etc.).

BGest,

Oz

Here are a couple of probably already-know ones (and only changes made are shown):

-Siege Engines: Med-low offense, Very low defense, high bombard (range=0!), -1 or -2 H.P. (depending on how high average H.P. is in your game) and "collateral damage", with the AI flag as "offense".

Splitting up foot units:

-Archers: (which are more realistic IMO): equal off. and def., collateral damage, -1 H.P., AI flag of both Off. and Def., wheeled.

-Spearmen: Equal off. and def. (again), +1 H.P., maybe 5 sheilds more than an Archer of equal offense and defense, wheeled, flag both Off. and Def.

-Skirmishers: Fairly weak offense, 1-2 defense, -1 to -2 H.P., not wheeled, Zone of Control, defensive bombardment.

-Officers, and other high command: Quite high Off and Def, but still equal, req. Iron, high cost (or maybe even produced by an improvement), Amphibious, +2 H.P., wheeled, Zone of Control (doe to the moral damage it inflicts on the opponent), flagged both off. and def.

Is this the sort of stuff you are on about? :)

The one thing about this whole defensive infantry debate that almost everyone has ignored is the fact that there are offensive infantry in CivIII (swordsmen, anyone?). Firaxis split it up to have two different units paths, one offensive, one defensive. Placing equal off/def in the offensive category, we have warriors, archers, swordsmen, medieval infantry, longbow men, guerrilla, TOW(?). Defensively, you have spearmen, pikemen, musketmen, riflemen, infantry, mechanized infantry. You also have a cav/tank path, which is chariot, horsemen, knight, cavalry, tank, modern armor. Its basically a separation of arms. It gives every unit a weakness that needs to be covered by a unit from a separate pathway. If you build only infantry, you're not going to take any cities any time soon, but if you build just cavalry, you might as well just cede your cities to the moon. It encourages a combined arms method, which I believe is more realistic. Also, I think it improves game play. If you provide more variety, you won't be stuck playing the same game over and over again. Also, I know I could have posted it in one of the threads, but most of them are a year old, and I'm not in a bumping mood. :)

OK, for the defense, Citizen Militia:
-Low Defense, med-high defense, 1 movement, wheeled, -1 H.P., can draft, high cost (to discourage the AI from actually building it, as they will only draft it when a city is in danger).

How does that sound?

OK, for the defense, Citizen Militia:
-Low Defense, med-high defense, 1 movement, wheeled, -1 H.P., can draft, high cost (to discourage the AI from actually building it, as they will only draft it when a city is in danger).

The AI will also tend to build the highest DF unit available when selecting a Defender.

@Virote - good stuff. :)

@JFJ - no arguments there. I agree that - aside from mirroring a Civ's technology and cultural strictures - one of the greatest challenges in making a good mod is to force both the AI and the human player to realistically evolve their militaries, always countering new defensive units with new offensive unit types and so on.

-Oz

-Oz

I don't think that this has been posted anywhere here yet, this explains what improvement flags are cumulative in the editor.

Hello! Very usefull stuff here.. I have a question in case someone has done some testing on this:

What unit types will the AI upgrade? ie: will the AI upgrade a catapult to a cannon when it becomes available?

Some time ago I came up with a system of limiting expantion, I removed settlers from the build queue by giving them the King flag, created a "Peasant" unit that cant be built (not available to all civs) but is created every n turns by a city improvement, made the Peasant a worker unit and made it upgrade to the Settler (with a high enough difference of costs so it will require a few hundred gold to upgrade). And hey, it works!! For you that is, because in my tests the AI never upgraded the Peasant :rolleyes: I tried making the Peasant an artillery unit, and no luck, only when I made it an offensive unit did I start seeing the AI upgrading it! So currently I have Peasants as weak offensive/deffensive/worker units that can be upgraded to settlers if you have the gold. Still I would like to explore other ideas and I was wondering if a study has been made on the ai unit upgrade thing?

-Siege Engines: Med-low offense, Very low defense, high bombard (range=0!), -1 or -2 H.P. (depending on how high average H.P. is in your game) and "collateral damage", with the AI flag as "offense".
I like this (and evidently does Firaxis, since it's fairly similar to the CivIV implementation). Have you tested how well the AI handles it? :)

I like this (and evidently does Firaxis, since it's fairly similar to the CivIV implementation). Have you tested how well the AI handles it? :)

Unfortunately not, as I have yet to play far enough in my Greek scenario to see the AI build them. However, what I'm guessing is either:
1. They send the units on suicide missions against the enemy city (intended), even if the city does not have improvements (not intended!)
2. They use them for on-terrain skirmishes against other (weakened) troops (probably their use)
3. They don't. :p (even more probably their use ;))

Top Bottom