Gold generating buildings quirk

modmyciv

Warlord
Hello,

Here is an odd one.

I made a big Wonder that places something in every city that increases happiness and lowers war weariness (yes I know you can do this all in the Wonder itself - but I liked the idea of a visual representation of the effect of the Wonder).

I set maintenance of these placed buildings at one, the Wonder at eight. Only thing is instead of costing one each generates a pile of gold in each city. It would be fun to find out why, as you could use the effect.

One possible answer is that the placed buildings generate seven (possibly difficult to count the tiny coins when they are only a pixel apart), due to some arcane coding thing where they cost/create the difference in maintenance. Anybody come across this?

If this is the case you could build cash generating buildings, have a Wonder of say, Tax System with a high maintenance, and have it build tax offices in every city with a lower one that that would generate gold.

Nope. Plus it started the cash flow straight away. I think I've found an odd glitch that can be used as a feature :)

It's probably due to some other building in the city, or maybe the wonder triggered a golden age?

Either way, buildings which are placed in cities by wonders cease having a maintenance cost.

When I remember well, this feature was reported for negative maintenance costs. With the normal C3C editor negative maintenance costs are not allowed -as far as I remember.

For which version of Civ 3 and with what editor did you do these settings?

Not golden age, not other buildings. Cash appears next to the icon in the city building list - a little row of gold coins, just like the tourist gold you get for a long-standing Wonder.

Standard editor - which doesn't allow negative maintenance as you say - which is a pity. It's the all-in-one CIvIII version, not sure of number but probably the last one.

Note: the placed building is a custom one, not available to build.

I've added a Tax System Wonder already Will play test :)

And it didn't work as expected... Something different somewhere. More experiments required.

Can't replicate yet.

Blast it - I've fiddled with it and it no longer makes the cash! Should have tried to replicate it, rather than mess with the original. :(

It looked like this: The World Spell Effect is placed by the Wonder. Adds two happy and lowers War Weariness, and for some reason creates a stack of gold in every city.

modmyciv, thank you very much for posting your observations :), so the effect at present is still unclear. I have a speculation about it, but the facts at present are very "thin".

Does the actual gold output of your civ change substantially after building the wonder?

i.e. is there a chance it's just a graphical error?

Mind posting a screenshot of the buildings screen in the editor showing 1. the wonder and 2. the improvement?

Yes I got rich, it added 500+ gold. Two things I have changed is happiness. I forgot to remove the happiness in all cities from the Wonder after I created the effect. Thus is went up by four instead of two. Which I corrected. I also forgot to remove the reduction of war weariness in all cities. Unfortunately it no longer works, all I have is a saved game, because I fiddled with it instead of trying to make another one. In the game every city get it as shown. Here is the editor shots: Note: the resource People is unobtainable, thus you can't build the effect.
and

I put back what I changed (I think) but cannot get it to work, for testing I make it available from the start and reduce the cost.

In the saved game I can't see a way of altering the amount of money generated. Reducing or increasing luxury spending, destroying buildings etc makes no difference. From looking at the stack it appears to be about 12 gold. I am stumped.

The second picture shows tourist attraction checked. Perhaps you couldn't replicate the results because of the time needed for tourist attraction to start generating commerce?

Good spot - at some point that building was used as a Wonder and I re-used the slot (I am to the limit of buildings). And didn't remove the flag. Does this mean you can add Tourist Attraction to any improvement, if you set it as a Wonder briefly? In fact I've an odd feeling that it was left on Small Wonder at first, rather than Improvement.

Next question: why did the cash appear straight away in the game? It does make sense as it looks for all the world like tourist gold. I went back to my saved games and found the point at which the Wonder is built. Loads of instant gold in the next turn.

The Wonder below it - The Reptile House - has two tourist gold, and was built some turns before. The Wonder itself generates no tourist gold. Its almost as if the game thinks the Effect improvement is thousands of years old already.

Regular buildings can become tourist attractions, but you probably have to make this setting in Steph's or Quintillus' editor.

In the Cultural Advisor screen, you can see when the buildings and wonders were built (to check if it is old enough to become a tourist attraction). Buildings granted by a Great Wonder will be free of maintanance cost (and pollution if I remember correctly).

The Wonder is too young to generate tourist gold - it's about 200 years old. Other Wonders are producing the revenue you would expect.

In any event the Effect building is not a Wonder, although it *might* have been accidentally set as a Small Wonder - how can I tell?

One other thing - originally rather than use an unobtainable resource to stop you building it, it was set to a Tech called Trash - which nobody has access to. It was neater to use the resource so I switched it, didn't like the Trash tech showing on the building information screen.

The World Spell Effect Wonder is showing that much Gold possibly because it is given the credit for all of the Gold that is acquired by the World Spell Effect Improvements because it placed those Improvements.
This accumulation of Gold is probably due to the Extra 2 Happy Population in every City.

Look at Before and After the Improvement to see the amount of Gold in each City.

It is interesting but there is an explanation.

There are no culture symbols next to the effect because only the Wonder itself generates any.

Vuldacan: your theory sounds plausible but where does the extra gold come from? Every city gets an extra injection of cash, which seems fixed no matter what I do with the happiness slider or how happy the local population actually is.

This is bugging me now. I love the idea of some trick to get extra features out of improvements.

Top Bottom