How can I accelerate (and not squander) this culture victory?

gregorsamsa

Chieftain
It's 1818 AD, turn 279, standard pace & map size, Prince difficulty, Continents map. Two civs have already lost their capital. My single score is 1228, the next Civ is at 781.

I chose Brazil due to their tourism-related UAs. Here is my current influence.

What can I do best? Should I send my great musicians abroad or consume them in a great work of art? Should I have my archeologists extract artifacts or create landmarks?

Is there a particular tech I should seek? Here is my current tech tree.

Here is my map, with myself selected:

You can see that part of the trouble is that everyone else is overseas, I'm already pretty good with Greece.

Any tips appreciated. I lost my last attempt at a tourism victory at turn 500 when I was 98% influential over the last remaining civ, so I'm anxious not to squander this opportunity.

I also have a dominant world religion (11 cities, Buddhism has 15, another has 5, then 3, then 1) so I'd like to exploit this, too.

I'm still figuring out the new cultural victory conditions as well. Just bought BNW. Awaiting advice!

One thing I do know though is that trade routes add multipliers to the proliferation of your tourism. As you said, you are good with Greece, switch more of your trade routes overseas if possible to accelerate your influence there.

First of all reallly try to focus everything on culture. And therefore great artists/great works.
Build the guilds asap. Build the buildings and wonders that help you get more artists. Build the guilds all in one city for that reason. To keep room for the great works build as many culture buildings and wonders as possible/reasonable.
Allways manage and optimice the great works. You can trade them too. Get the bonuses.

As for the multiplier (pic 1) try to get the AIs to give you open boardes (try not to open your porders), try to get trade routs to them, try to get them your religion (they might not like that idea so be careful) this all multiplies the effects. In case i forgot something here mouse over the +/-% thing (i think) or the percentage number below. It tells you where it comes from or how it works.

Try to get as much tourist as possible trough buildings, wonders, policies, religion etc.

Since you play brazil get as many golden ages as you can, especially mid/late game. You need tourism first.

As for the Great musicians. I usually pop them first untill i get a decend influence from them (shows on the figure stats down left corner when selected). I think they gain more the more culture you produce. By end game i send a couple (enough to win. as you can read out of the figure pic 1) to the strongest enemy (russia in your case) some of the effect will work on the others and if you beat the strongest enemy you have beaten them all.

Well thats my of the hand not much thought trough rundown. Is probably incomplete but should lead you the way.

Happy civing

Since I have a somewhat dominant world religion, is it better to use additional Great Prophets spreading my religion, or consume them to create holy sites?

Since I have a somewhat dominant world religion, is it better to use additional Great Prophets spreading my religion, or consume them to create holy sites?

Get World Religion once you have built up your :tourism: output, or do it ASAP to kickstart output. +50% :tourism: in Holy City, and 2 additional delegates.

Try to get the theme bonuses, it looks like you might be able to get a few more. Trade your great works with the computer to get the combinations you need to get the biggest bonuses.

If you can get out there and grab the dig sites first then you can afford to turn the ones on your lands into monuments. Make sure to keep up with the museums so you always have somewhere to stash the new digs.

Your approaching the point where you can get ideologies which have a variety of ways to earn extra tourism.

If you head for Refrigeration you can get hotels which really leverage your tourism.

The amount of Tourism gained from a Concert Tour is based on the amount of Tourism you are generating on the turn the Musician is produced. It is either 8 or 10 times that amount. I'm not sure which, but it's one of those.

Hover your mouse over the pink bars (Influence screen) to see the total amount of Culture accumulated by opponents, white bars for total Tourism towards them.

Russia is going to be tough. I guess you met them very late. Astronomy (ocean travel) earlier might help that for future games.

Large boosts to tourism per turn can come from Hotels (Refrigeration), Broadcast Towers (Radio) with the Freedom level 3 tenet, winning International Games project, Airports (Radar), National Visitors Center (need to have Hotels in all cities, can't remember the tech), and the Internet (Telecommunications). The other ideologies have some nice bonuses, too, but I usually take Freedom, so I don't know them as well.

Archeologist spam until you get fill up every great work slot you have. Put landmarks in your own territory, and go for hotels and airports. Use your writers and artists for great works, but your musicians for concert tours in the biggest civs, probably Russia. Get open borders with everyone you can, and choose ideology policies once you get them to get more multipliers. Also, use swap great works and look for theming bonuses in your museums and wonders. It's a jigsaw puzzle and is intimidating at first, but it isn't actually too bad. Since you're Brazil, you also want to go for a lot of happiness policies to combine with your tourism policies.

Tourism isn't something that really works until late game (barring sacred sites spam). The buildings and archeologists are the biggest things. If you're stuck on one civ late game and can't get open borders, you can always line up great musicians at their border, declare war on the civ, and then sneak your musicians in and play concerts before the enemy civ can block them. I think that it's stupid that you can do this, but you can, so... take advantage of it.

For the record, I won out on turn 365, 1945 AD. I paid careful attention to my tourism theming bonus, trading art w/ the AI. I also think being Brazil was a huge help: tourism is doubled during a Golden Age, and great musicians/writers/artists are created 50% faster. I created a couple of Artists and used them to start golden ages (Carnival!), which just overwhelmed everyone else while I sent my Musicians on a tour to the couple remaining holdouts. All four cities had hotels and broadcast towers.

I also kept creating archeologists and adding artifacts to my buildings.

The AI also conquered two civs, making the culture victory a little easier.

I had a ton of gold from trade routes (and not having any real military), so when I got word that Greece was planning a sneak attack, I was able to buy a bunch of military units and put them at my border, forcing Alexander (I suppose) to change his mind.

Top Bottom