Would this game have been better on the Wii?

Would Civ Rev been better on the Wii?

• Yes!

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • No!

Votes: 51 77.3%

• Total voters
Not a lot of arm movements, no. But you try holding your cursor steady and making very precise selections on the screen for 3 hours... See how that works for you. I agree with the "ignorant" majority here. It was enough of a challenge to adapt this game for a standard controller-based system. I think the Wii is an even bigger stretch and while MAYBE it can be pulled off, it certainly wouldn't be better than 360/PS3.

Nah have you played Mario Galaxy or Zelda? That's how CivRev will play like. Pointer will be used to point at stuff but you dont even need t aim at the screen. Wii will pick up a reference point for where your Wiimote is. As long as it can see the sensor bar, you're good to go.

Control-wise, I think it would be a bit more difficult. If you use the IR pointing functionality, (and really, it would seem to be the most logical control scheme) the problem would be that you'd have to design larger on-screen buttons to accomodate the human hand's inherent "shakiness" or a bit of leeway space on the units, cities, and features that someone would want to select. If you look at the design of Nintendo's own games and applications, they feature big, colorful buttons (which happen to look good in their Mario-esque design scheme) that enable easier pointing.

It's not a problem.

I have the DS version and I can play with or without the stylus. Without it works fine and the are 8 buttons and a control pad. Doesn't the wii-mote with the chuk already have that?

Easy peasy, nice and cheesy.

Since I'm not willing to fork out the money for PS3 or Xbox 360, I've got a Wii and a DS.

So, I was a little sad that it didn't come out on the Wii.
However, I rushed out to get the DS version.
(Twice actually, since I found two different release dates.
One said release was to be the 7th, another said the 9th.
I got out on the 7th, but it wasn't released... and I wasn't able to check for it again until the 11th.)

I have played two rounds so far, and won both of them.
However, the only reason I knew what I was doing is because I have Civ3 and Civ4. I blindly fired off buildings and wonders, and the occasional unit (I'm not very aggressive).
Information about buildings and wonders (benefits) is only available on the build list... as far as I can find.
I see there is no Civolepedia in the DS version.
Selecting units to build can be odd, since I have to scroll over a unit repeatedly to get it to show the stats.

I played on the lowest difficulty level, figuring I'd get a feel for the game before trying a tougher level.
Both times, everyone... I mean everyone, declared war on me.
I did manage to stave them off, taking their cities until they backed off.
I'm worried about trying a tougher level, because if on easy they have a larger military then me and keep up with me on research, I wouldn't stand a chance on tougher levels.
(Yes, I realize that the difficulty level is just the amount of advantage I get over the AI, but I didn't see any advantage that I could determine.)

Overall, I like that it is a portable version of Civ.
I will keep playing, trying to learn how to be more aggressive...
But, when it comes down to it, I prefer Civ4.
... I just wish I had a computer that could handle a map larger then 'Duel'.
(CPU: 989 MHz - RAM: 768 MB.)

As a note, I don't use the Stylus (touch controls) to play it on the DS.
Actually, I don't use the Stylus much at all... hehehe.

"On June 10, 2008, Sid Meier reaffirmed plans to develop a Wii version, stating that Firaxis had "no intentions of turning backs on [the Wii version]."[14]

This is from wiki. Don't know if it's actually true.

Since it is footnoted, check out reference 14 and see where that came from. As I posted earlier, Nintendo Magazine has a September 2008 release date for a Wii version.

CivRev looks beautiful in High Definition. To see it down graded to Wii standard would be a backwards step. Ugly.

You apparently haven't seen any shots of Super Mario Galaxy or the upcoming Sonic game. Gorgeous high-res graphics. CivRev would fit right in.

You apparently haven't seen any shots of Super Mario Galaxy or the upcoming Sonic game. Gorgeous high-res graphics. CivRev would fit right in.

Shots can look good but how does the game look when it is played. My friend has a Wii playing on a large full HD TV & the graphic are terrible. It is not HD, let alone Full HD. It don't even look like DVD (standard definition) quality. More like a PS2 on a bad day.:eek:

Just did some research. The Wii is not made for HD TV. It only outputs with a resolution of 480. It is like something from the stone age.

Not a lot of arm movements, no. But you try holding your cursor steady and making very precise selections on the screen for 3 hours... See how that works for you. I agree with the "ignorant" majority here. It was enough of a challenge to adapt this game for a standard controller-based system. I think the Wii is an even bigger stretch and while MAYBE it can be pulled off, it certainly wouldn't be better than 360/PS3.

Why would you need to point at all? There's a D pad on the controller as well as a nunchuck for a stick. The Wiimote has one less button on it than the 360 controller and not all of those buttons are required... and with the nunchuck it has just as many buttons on the 360.

It would play just fine.

Shots can look good but how does the game look when it is played. My friend has a Wii playing on a large full HD TV & the graphic are terrible. It is not HD, let alone Full HD. It don't even look like DVD (standard definition) quality. More like a PS2 on a bad day.:eek:

The Wii is capable of graphics that are just fine. Most games this gen use 480p. In fact, very few games actually do 1080p, which is why most games that support it say (1080p!) in one of those corny star shaped advertisements on the box.

There is a reason why Super Mario Galaxy is considered one of the best looking games of this gen thus far - it's because the Wii is very capable of amazing looking games. Simply because developers don't utilize this doesn't mean that the console is gimpy.

the wii is capable of nice graphics but 360's and ps3's can do 3x that easy. And nearly all game sdo 720p hd and most of those pump 1080i, which is nearly the same to 1080p in my opinion. The wiimote would be fidely, having to drag the cursor around to the spot and all.

I dont think they wouldve used the pointer as the only option for the Wii. They would have probably included the old fashioned way of just pushing buttons and what not.

the wii is capable of nice graphics but 360's and ps3's can do 3x that easy. And nearly all game sdo 720p hd and most of those pump 1080i, which is nearly the same to 1080p in my opinion. The wiimote would be fidely, having to drag the cursor around to the spot and all.

780p is better than 1080i, but the difference is negligible. If you like blurry things then 1080i is better. If you like crisp then 720p is better.

You'd be very surprised to find out how many games this gen do not even come close to 720p. Most are actually in 480p despite what the output of your gaming system is. For example, I have my PS3 set at 1080p output but Rock Band is actually 480p.

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/ps3-1080p-games/

That's just about it for the PS3 in regards to true 1080p games. You have a few more 720p and the rest are 480p. The 360 has about the same number of 1080p games (most scale up to 1080p, like almost all games this gen... the same thing happens with PS3 games). 480p is the most common type seen.

This isn't a bad thing. Most people can't even tell. It is, however, false to say that the Wii is a watered down PS2 because it displays a better kind of resolution (progressive) and is exactly what most PS3 and 360 games use.

As for the pointer thing, no, you probably wouldn't be pointing. Even if you did it wouldn't be a problem. Most people who haven't played the Wii think that it becomes tedious but it doesn't. You slouch just the same with the remote and rest your hands in the exact same way. But again, you probably wouldn't be pointing at all.

Top Bottom