Project SYNTHESIS

The problem is that i fear that Judaism will spread too much and also as Leoreth said it is theres like wat 10 million people that follow Judaism. The only way i will be convinced to add Judaism is that it is limited to 2 or 3 cities at a time.

Nothing

You could just slow down the spread rate and forbid missionaries, it's an old religion thats had a big impact on the region and the world and I think it would be good to include them.

You could just slow down the spread rate and forbid missionaries, it's an old religion thats had a big impact on the region and the world and I think it would be good to include them.
What is the big impact on the world?

(About Jewishm: ) You could just slow down the spread rate and forbid missionaries, it's an old religion thats had a big impact on the region and the world and I think it would be good to include them.

Agreed. Problem is just to make sure that it no longer prevents christianity or islam spreading to the city aswell.

How about making independent Copenhagen spawn 1 turn before Viking spawn?
- I've been arguing for this for years, so I'm certainly with you there :D It annoys me in every single game I play, to not have any danish representation when we have a viking civ. If it was up to me, they spawn at Stockholm or Oslo, and then gets Copenhagen in this way.

About pataliputra, sure it's a bad place before Calendar is founded..
Anyway, isn't its Indian job to found calendar as soon as possible so they can grow variety of spices etc so European cames from far far away to trade the spices from them ?
- Yeah, but this would make the Indian UHV absolutely impossible. You have a rice tile and two other grassland river tiles to work, before calendar, nothing else - if we do this, we need to change the UHVs and/or help the Indian AI in some other ways. Calendar comes relatively late.

About your minor religions proposal, kindof the same answer from me as in start: I can see the benefits, but we need to think about balance and what it will do to the spread rates of other religions aswell. And the Americas have a tough time getting major religions already in my games, when no human is interfering.

Thinking about the possible counterarguments for the vikings always getting Copenhagen - it's boring if a civ always have the same cities, and too deterministic; I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have a bit more deterministic games, if that means no more stupid AI city placement, and a christian Europe in 3000 BC starts just once in a while. I don't know about you, but I could certainly do without Christian Mali and Turkey in many of the games, and a Muslim/Jewish/"Atheistic" Europe more than half of the time. Or the English founding Bath or Exeter, the France founding a city on the dye, other stupid places, and well, You can all continue the list. I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't mind the slightest bit getting more historical games, at the expense of more predictability.

Thinking about the possible counterarguments for the vikings always getting Copenhagen - it's boring if a civ always have the same cities, and too deterministic; I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have a bit more deterministic games, if that means no more stupid AI city placement, and a christian Europe in 3000 BC starts just once in a while. I don't know about you, but I could certainly do without Christian Mali and Turkey in many of the games, and a Muslim/Jewish/"Atheistic" Europe more than half of the time. Or the English founding Bath or Exeter, the France founding a city on the dye, other stupid places, and well, You can all continue the list. I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't mind the slightest bit getting more historical games, at the expense of more predictability.

Sorry to say this Cosmos, but if you want a complete non-deterministic game then stop playing RFC, and play RFC RAND for players like you, thats what it was made for.

As for a city spawn in Denmark I'm all for it. Except I woulden't have it be Copenhagen, instead it should be Aarhus or Rokslide (or whatever the capital of the Norse is in RFCE), and then have it flip to the Norse upon spawn, that sounds like a better plan. You could also have its name change to Copenhagen in the 19th century, that would be pretty cool ;)

Of all of the mods I want to succeed, I probably want this one to succeed the most.

My suggestions is that Orthodoxy, Protestantism and Catholicism are three very important, world influencing religions that should be included into this mod.

Perhaps another one should be Sun Cult/Shamanism/Leader Cult, just as a grab bag to introduce for regions such as the Zulu, Inca, or Native Americans.

Judaism should be included (perhaps as a minor religion) but I think Israel should be included, as well, to affect the late game.

Perhaps there should be event triggers in this mod based on historical events, similar to the way Road of War is made.

Also, if you need any play testing or historical accuracy checks, I am willing to help. I would help more with XML and Python, but unfortunately I am very unskilled with both. Haha.

Tell me if these suggestions are too ambitious.

Oh, and may I just say that I LOVE the idea of the "rebirth" mechanic.

I have been waiting for a mechanism like this for a LOONG time, especially in RFC.

Sorry to say this Cosmos, but if you want a complete non-deterministic game then stop playing RFC, and play RFC RAND for players like you, thats what it was made for.

As for a city spawn in Denmark I'm all for it. Except I woulden't have it be Copenhagen, instead it should be Aarhus or Rokslide (or whatever the capital of the Norse is in RFCE), and then have it flip to the Norse upon spawn, that sounds like a better plan. You could also have its name change to Copenhagen in the 19th century, that would be pretty cool ;)

It seems you are misreading my post about the first part :)

Copenhagen is five-six-seven times bigger than Aarhus, and Aarhus has never ever been the capital. Even though it's the second largest city in Denmark, Aarhus, it doesn't make much sense to have anything but Copenhagen. If we call the tile Roskilde in the start, fine by me, but certainly it has to be on that tile. (Both Roskilde, which was capital for some time, and Copenhagen, is on the same tile gamewise - just to make that clear to everybody).

re calendar resources:

why does calendar give you access to incense, spices, tropical fruit, dye, silk, cotton and sugar. half the luxury/health resources in the game from 1 tech. what does an incense plantation look like? (frankincense is petrified wood from millions of years ago) and then wine requires monarchy? how about this:

dye: pottery or maybe monarchy (royal purple was the first colorful dye)
incense: polytheism
sugar: machinery (for refining)
bananas: replace with a medicine resource, available later (half of modern pharmaceuticals derive from rainforest biological processes, the enviros tell us)
cotton: you could push this forward to early industrial, since it seems like this is when it became an important item of trade
spices and silk can stay with calendar

this would spread these resources out across history and give different civs reasons to go for different techs.

How about different resources spawn for different civs with different techs?
Bananas were used in Khmer long before the Europeans.
Cotton was cultivated by the Arabs long before the Industiral Age.
Sugar was cultivated in Mesopotamia and china and India before Machinery

My suggestions is that Orthodoxy, Protestantism and Catholicism are three very important, world influencing religions that should be included into this mod.
Catholocism and Protestantism are already included and in my opinion if any Christianity is overrepresented in many games. Islam on the other hand is very underrepresented; in my opinion Shiite Islam should be included preferrably at the same time Persian respawn is added to the game. Orthodoxy is also a good option since it was the state religion of quite of a few civs (Byzantine, Greece, Russia)

Judaism should be included (perhaps as a minor religion) but I think Israel should be included, as well, to affect the late game.

Again why are people giving so much attention to Israel and Judaism. I can think of tons of religions and nations to add before Israel and Judaism.
Religion that should be given priority:
Shiite Islam
Orthodoxy
Confucianism
Iffy Religions:
Maye Hellenism
Maybe some kind of Paganistic religion that should be there in Mesoamerica, Ancient Egypt, Babylon and Pheonocia.
After all these religions are considered or included and it is still plausible and sensible to add Judaism should be considered. Judaism should not be priority religion.

As far as Israel is considered; I think it is just silly to consider such a small country of a mere six million people.
There are tons of countries that need to be given priority over Israel: Egypt (respawn), Berbers, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Indonesia, Canada, India (respawn), Central Asian Civ, West African respawn, Prussia( Germany). And if Israel is added so should Jordan and Syria.

This not meant to be offensive and nobody should take it the wrong way

I'm having Tokapi Palaces and Terracotta Armies being built left and right. Somehow they're being built in my cities (maybe like embassies?) without me building them.

Man, that's brilliant idea !
Different techs needed for acquiring resources for different civs !
Anyway if I think, maybe there's civs who use "X Resources" not for the same function as other civs across the world does, right ? I can't Google-ing for it right now, but I bet there are. And that'll solve Pataliputra problem as well :D

About decoration-religion,
I think, all civs spawn with a religion, an all of them gives the same effects, to make it balance, it is there just for decoration, for educational purpose, and for make sure AI don't settle too much out of they historically should, because then AI know if they settle there, they won't get the effects given by the religion...

I thought it could be a good idea, until i Realize then I'll need to provide different graphics for each minor religion to distinct it from usual monument etc, which is.. still pretty debatable, I think :)

About the Denmark,
Seen from Historical views, I rather choose Aarhus, since the earliest records of Copenhagen is in 1167, while Aarhus had been recorded since 770..
But
Seen from Popular views, I think I'd rather choose Copenhagen, just because if you ask somebody in any part in the world, "Name one city in Denmark", majority will answer Copenhagen, or in extreme case -I don't know -.-"
Nah, that's my view. I think it's all still depends on Linkman how will it goes, will it be a part of the game or not...

about native/pagan religions: if everyone has one and they all have the same effect then you really don't have to include them seperately. I think they are best represented by the monument/pagan temple building which gives happiness and culture as long as you do NOT have a state religion, or as long as you are in the starting religion civic. or you could let the bonuses stay. no spreading to incongruous places, no problem getting rid of it when the world religions come. personally I would put zoroastrianism in this catagory too, ie eliminate it. theologically it was a big step forward and hugely significant but politically it never broke out of its homeland, never became something 2 different civilizations had in common, and virtually vanished when challenged by islam. I know the story is much more complex than that, but in the broad strokes of this level of detail, thats what I would do. come to think of it, from what I've heard here in the taoism/confusionism debates (I know a little about middle eastern religions but much less about east asia) taoism also falls into this catagory, as would shinto.

about the reformation: I think it should cause a war every time. can you imagine early modern europe peacefully dividing itself into 2 camps over what was then the number one burning issue of a quite violent society? I can't. they disembowled people for praying differently for cryin out loud.

Is there a way to turn off the resource depletion effect? It annoys me, but I like the rest of the mod...? Help?

This is what the Pagan Temple and Pantheon civic were supposed to represent anyway.

Is there a way to turn off the resource depletion effect? It annoys me, but I like the rest of the mod...? Help?

First off all, that's only realistic- if you want to reach a population of a billion people in real life you're gonna need to cope with the environmental damage. That doesn't mean not using resources, period, but rather MANAGING them properly. Resources recover over time if you don't let your cities work those tiles.

Secondly, I haven't yet tweaked this component to perfection; this will happen in future releases. I plan on making some more resource spawns to compensate.

If you insist on removing it, I first need to know how much coding skill you have, and how much patience you have.

So I guess it's a no? :C

Sorry guys, I was a away for a few days. Instead of doing a huge multiquote pose, I'm just gonna list some general comments:

Religion:

All the religions currently in the game
Confucianism AND Taoism will be in
Hellenism; gets replaced by Christianity and Islam
Ancient Egyptian religion- gets replaced by Christianity and Islam
Sunni/ Shi'a split
Most civs start with Pagan missionaries; Paganism will be a religion that represents the many other minor religions of the world; major religions replaced Paganism; different civs have different artwork for Pagan temples; no holy city or shrine; Pagan civs get a small diplomatic PENALTY
Orthodoxy, split with Catholicism in 1054
True Prophets Mod

Because I feel the mod needs to have a religion update before a map update, the next version will be mostly consist of religion changes. Map changes will have to wait, sorry guys.

Civs:

Egyptian respawn= good idea

Resources:

I prefer the idea of having different techs unlock different calendar resources- but not different techs for different civs.

About the embassies/ terracotta army bug- I know what's causing them (or so I think), I'll start working on fixing them. They'll be in the SVN soon.

Top Bottom