Does anyone know...

register

Prince
How to fix strange error I have recently in my mod. I am working on new mod mainly modification of previous working mod. Until now I removed only few units and added few new civilisations. I hanged only few lines in pediaicons and in civilopedia but when I start the game I can't build my first city because game is crushing without any report that something is missing, like an image or folder or path to it. When I generate map and place one city on it then after game starts the city is there but when I want go into city and build something is crushing again. Anyone had similar problem?

When a crash occurs on loading of the scenario you can have many explanations

For example:
- bad pcx image
- problem with a unit on map (bad flc)
- a civ cannot build a unit/building (a civ should at least build a unit)

You need many tests to find thje reason of the crash
Firstly, try to delete all units on map and test

It's probably has to do with buildings graphics (bad pcx or something). I suggest trying to load a game without using a custom building graphics for the start.

But I didn't change any pcx for buildings. Previously all of them where ok. What I added were new pcx's for leaders but when I start a game and choose civ to play or go to descriptions, there is no errors at all.

I noticed when I begin to play and if I fortify my default settler and worker without building my first city all of the AI civ around me play as normal and game won't crash.

You said something about removing a few units. You may want to look into that. I would like to help more, but I dont have enough information.

@Nathiri - I meant to say that I removed all units from editor except settler and worker and barbarian units to find out if one of the unit cause that but there was no change.

@Civinator - Yes! it must be this! When I removed units32 the game stop crushing. I will have a proper look later. Thanks for now.

I have to go back to this because the game still crashing but in different place now.

I changed units_32.pcx and I can start new game build cities and units but when I want to build my first small wonder, no matter what civ, game crash when building time is finish. I didn't change any buildings pcx from previous version of working mod and I don't understand why now is crashing.

I have to go back to this because the game still crashing but in different place now.

I changed units_32.pcx and I can start new game build cities and units but when I want to build my first small wonder, no matter what civ, game crash when building time is finish. I didn't change any buildings pcx from previous version of working mod and I don't understand why now is crashing.

register, for every small and great wonder, you have to include a wondersplash in the arts wondersplash folder (this can be the same for several wonders) and an individual entry for the wondersplash of the wonder in the pediaicons file (listed after the building entries).

But usually if it is that, it says that it is missing that wondersplash regardless if there is an entry or not in pediaicons for a particular splash. I think register still has a no error crash with this problem.

What you might want to do is post a .biq file of your mod so that we can see what you have done.

. I changed only few lines in pediaicons and in civilopedia

... when I want to build my first small wonder, no matter what civ, game crash when building time is finish.

register, for every small and great wonder, you have to include ... an individual entry for the wondersplash of the wonder in the pediaicons file (listed after the building entries).

I'm pretty sure the game looks at the civilopedia file when it announces a completion. That text file can be tricky because you must be very precise about matching names - within the civilopedia file & between it and the other text files. It also will cause problems if things as small as a space or punctuation ( / ; and so on ) are in the wrong place, missing, or duplicated.

As Nathiri points out, usually there is an error message, but text files have also been known to cause mysterious crashes, depending on where the error is in the file.

I just recently solved a crashing problem with my mod so it might be helpful. My Mod was always crashing back to desktop without any warnings, similar to your experience. Because there were no warnings, it was impossible to narrow down what was causing the crash.
I tried many solutions (removing units, reducing buildings, upgrade errors etc...) I had to speed test the game 3 times using cheat. One thing was consistant, it always crashed in Industrial age, still it wasn't possible to narrow down the error.
Only through luck, when I loaded the save game just before crash, and checked out the CPU cities. When I checked Delhi the game instantly crashed.
I loaded the game in Grampos' Civ3Multi tool, and checked Delhi and noticed it was building Elephant Cavalry. This was a unit I added. I checked Elephant Cavalry's ini and noticed it was incomplete, the bottom half of the sound section was missing. So I simply filled in the missing section and it fixed the crash!
So check your .ini files to see if there are any that are incomplete, because it crashed my mod without any warnings.

Does it happen when trying to build any small wonder as well?

If not, it might just be that the palette for the wonder splash .pcx used isn't indexed properly.

Users solutions:
- bad pcx image
- problem with a unit on map (bad flc)
- a civ cannot build a unit/building (a civ should at least build a unit)
- probably a bad pcx file for the leaders

- for every small and great wonder, you have to include a wondersplash in the arts wondersplash folder (this can be the same for several wonders) and an individual entry for the wondersplash of the wonder in the pediaicons file (listed after the building entries).

- the game looks at the civilopedia file when it announces a completion. That text file can be tricky because you must be very precise about matching names - within the civilopedia file & between it and the other text files. It also will cause problems if things as small as a space or punctuation ( / ; and so on ) are in the wrong place, missing, or duplicated.

- Nathiri points out, usually there is an error message, but text files have also been known to cause mysterious crashes, depending on where the error is in the file.

- check your .ini files to see if there are any that are incomplete, because it crashed my mod without any warnings.

- might just be that the palette for the wonder splash .pcx used isn't indexed properly.

I have to say I had a full working mod before and I was playing it long time and never had any problem with it. There was no unit, flc's missing, no flc or pcx caused any error, no problem with *ini, wondersplashes palettes, etc.

What I have done recently, I just removed half of the units and unmarked all remaining units from all civilizations in editor. I added around 10 folders with new units to ART folder and yes I found there few incompatible ini's but those unit s where not added yet in editor or civilopedia or pedia, so this cannot cause any problem. I added around 20 new civilizations and I double checked folders for Advisors, Civilopedia/Races, Flics and Leaderheads. Yes I found there wrong pcx's for one civ, it was visible in the game that something was incorrect. I replaced that and now is fine. I found two more strange errors in game, I have two civs/leaderheads with certain flc's in editor which display in the game complete two different leaderheads??
My 32.pcx had wrong palette and cased crash in first turn now is fixed. I didn't touch any building or wonder splashed, noting was changed, removed or added but the game is still crashing after all changes I've done until today, when I want to build something different than unit, so building, small and big wonder....

Top Bottom