C2C - Units

I agree that there should be a unit in-between. Near the start of the classical age perhaps. Str 8-9 would be fine I think for this type of unit at this point on the tech tree.

Some sample names:
Pathfinder
Huntsman
Deerstalker
Beastmaster

But do you have any graphics?:mischief:

Bumping this thread for a couple questions (since I finally installed v18): Are EMP SAM Infantry supposed to be a defensive unit? They have the "Invisible to Most Units" ability, which I think is a real drawback on a defensive unit, since a unit can't defend against anything that can't see it.

Also, is there a way to make Mechanized Infantry eligible for the City Garrison line of promotions? They're not eligible for the Garrison promotions because they're Wheeled Units, but they are in the main line of upgrade for most infantry units, so it seems weird to have this exception.

Also, is there a way to make Mechanized Infantry eligible for the City Garrison line of promotions? They're not eligible for the Garrison promotions because they're Wheeled Units, but they are in the main line of upgrade for most infantry units, so it seems weird to have this exception.

The problem here is that if we give those promotions to the unit then we give them to all wheeled units. If we don't want that then we need to introduce a new combat class with all the work that entails. ;)

Short list of tings to do
  • adding the new class to other units
  • changing which promotions go to the new and review the promotions on old
  • changing the unit naming code

I just wanted to note that my wife and I both strongly feel that privateers should be allowed to upgrade into Assault Ships rather than be forced into the destroyer route. This just seems more rational really.

Also... sorry to double post but these are two different ideas. We have a line of police units... it would be cool to have a line of firefighter units as well. Not really strong military perhaps but a good counter to some units like Flamethrowers, Arsonists, Grenadiers and a good way to manage degrees of flammability that cannot currently be kept in check if you have enough access to various power plants in a given city.

Could be a chain that starts at Water Bearer and ends up being Firetrucks in the modern era.

I just wanted to note that my wife and I both strongly feel that privateers should be allowed to upgrade into Assault Ships rather than be forced into the destroyer route. This just seems more rational really.

Looks like something we may have missed when we added in Orion Veteran's Pirate mod. mcookie83 could you look at this?

Bumping this thread for a couple questions (since I finally installed v18): Are EMP SAM Infantry supposed to be a defensive unit? They have the "Invisible to Most Units" ability, which I think is a real drawback on a defensive unit, since a unit can't defend against anything that can't see it.

Would it be possible to have a unit (or a group of units) whose are invisible to most units but still defend when attacked in a city? This would be big suprise for attackers ;)

That would be OP because AI will suicide his stacks even more to these units because it won't evaluate odds against these invisible units.

Could we please try to keep the discussion of Units confined to one thread, it makes things so much easier to keep track of. :mischief:

On Thunderbird's topic, I don't think a firefighter unit is necessary, the effect of firefighters ingame is already modeled by the Fire-reduction buildings. The fire-starting units are a different mechanic, as they represent a hostile force trying to screw up your citys.

SteelSterlings question about bombers made me wonder: Is it possible to scale aircraft ranges with map size? Especially heavy bombers. C2C got some based on real world intercontinental bombers. But on the bigger map sizes their range is a joke compared to the distances of war sometimes.

SteelSterlings question about bombers made me wonder: Is it possible to scale aircraft ranges with map size? Especially heavy bombers. C2C got some based on real world intercontinental bombers. But on the bigger map sizes their range is a joke compared to the distances of war sometimes.

It would require SDK work, but I think it is possible.

Well... As stated, firefighting buildings are eventually overwhelmed once Power buildings start going online. And when I saw the new cop car unit, I thought we absolutely MUST have firefighter units as well! I know it'd be a pain to do and would take some real digging to find the unit art but it'd be really worthwhile both in flavor and in application imo.

One more note: Loving steam tech and the war wheels are great for rushing in and guarding damaged troops such as tank field fighters that have spent their movement. But they can't attack and work quite nicely as defensive... so why do they upgrade into jeeps as opposed to motorcycle units?

Well... As stated, firefighting buildings are eventually overwhelmed once Power buildings start going online. And when I saw the new cop car unit, I thought we absolutely MUST have firefighter units as well! I know it'd be a pain to do and would take some real digging to find the unit art but it'd be really worthwhile both in flavor and in application imo.

I have seen graphics for a Firefighter and a Fire Engine. Ironically the Fire Fighter shoots flames. I believe the Firefighter is in the Fury Road mod. And I forget where the Fire Engine is.

One more note: Loving steam tech and the war wheels are great for rushing in and guarding damaged troops such as tank field fighters that have spent their movement. But they can't attack and work quite nicely as defensive... so why do they upgrade into jeeps as opposed to motorcycle units?

Because they are equal to a motorcycle. Basically you are getting a motorcycle early. So it has the same upgrades and mostly the same stats as one.

Mind that the generic property type (a static sum of contributing buildings) that is used for flammability does not support units influencing the property. The reason for that is that that kind of property is only evaluated once when the building is constructed (or destroyed) and then kept as an accumulated property value on the city (or player).
Units can change their position often on the other hand and there is currently no code that checks if properties have to be added or removed from that move.

Well... I guess your saying that the flammability works differently than crime somehow?
Crime is a dynamic property. Its sources and all behavior are evaluated once per turn and the value accumulates, spreads and decays.
Flammability is more of a static property, similar to happiness or health. Buildings can add or take health but when you don't change anything, health stays constant.

The static property mechanics are the older code which I wrote before extending the property system with all the interesting stuff that crime now uses and to save computation power it only changes the property value when a building is constructed or destroyed. There is no code in there that changes static property values when units move. Of course it would be possible to add that but currently I have very little time for modding and I don't see that as an important point. Firefighting units should not have military power so they are better off being abstracted in the form of buildings.

Good idea Hydro. But then again, why shouldn't they have some military power? I wouldn't suggest much but they'd sure put a Flamethrower in their place and stand as a good defense in cities against such sorts of units.

Top Bottom