Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

Ok, now How do we get Civ 2 to work in Windows 8, crashes after the setup just before it launches.

Don

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I tried the patch along with the suggestions of Mr. Post 87.

The game didn't even start. I double clicked civ2.exe after patching, and another file was created (I don't think I saw smeds.txt before!!). However, the app itself did not respond at all. I'm thinking of trying this again by downloading MGE from a link on Reddit. Then again, I don't want to do anything illegal... :(

About smeds.txt, it only said the following:

******************** SMEDS LOG *********************
File Output to: smeds.log
SMEDS32 Version: 2.0.0

( 0) 5.4.0f Multiplayer 26-March-99
( 0) Patch 3
( 0) Disconnecting from network:
( 0) XD_ResetLibrary();
( 0) Warning: Port not locked on Sprite Extract

Any suggestions?

The patcher I made works with Civ2, TOT and even the map editor.

It would probably work with other game using the "faulty" component, if any exists out there.

Thanks for this patch :). I can at least play Civ II again. Any idea why it does not allow me to load a game or scenario though now??

Thanks.

The game doesn't like long file path apparently. Using shorter folder name, or using less subdirectory usually fix the problem. (ie. installing the game in "C:\Program Files\Civ2\" works well. But playing from "C:\Program files\I Like SubFolder Too much\I mean I REALLY like subfolder too much\Civ2\" doesn't.)

Thanks for this patch :). I can at least play Civ II again. Any idea why it does not allow me to load a game or scenario though now??

Thanks.

Howdy, joined today after lurking for years and playing Civ since it was on floppy disks.

First, let me thank all of you for keeping Civ II alive with countless hours of work. I never joined before because I was able to answer all of my questions with some research on this site.

I have been happily playing Civ II ToT on my Win98 computer for over a dozen years but the hard-drive is starting to go bad.

My question is: what is the version number and where can I find a patch that will let me play Civ II ToT on a Win7 or Win8 computer ? I see it mentioned in this thread but don't see a spot to download it. I have found various versions of the patch but there are so many references to a yet better one that I was never sure if what I had found was the latest version.

Thanks,

Hi Just wanted to say a big thank you for the enormous input by many on this forum to resolving the issues to get Civ2 playing on a W7p-64bit machine. I followed the directions put up by Mastermind to the letter, used a 32bit machine to prepare the core Civ2 app, installed the indeo codecs, and presto up and going. And my Lenovo laptop has no optical drive!!
Now I used Civ2 MPG - do not bother with rest!! have TOT but disinclined. But it is back to the future - remember we have a key board - you have to use ctrl-s to save your files and yes you can load saved files and scenerios (wwii and romans only till I find how I can get the others working) This save approach works even with the longest path names you can get in CIV (I used my Civ2 MPG from our Chronicles set) Music plays as well as the noise impacts. If you use the mouse and select save, you get the music selection - stuff that is only on the DVD - and the game crashes - a wonky consequence but entirely livable. After a few times I expect to be properly trained!!
Now CivIII on a W7p-64 bit laptop without optical drive - has anyone attempted loading CivIII from within a virtual D drive??? Does this get around the issue CD recognition because it seems to me that the program loads up the CD drive path into the app during installation and when starting looks back at that origin to confirm protocols. I installed from our network DVD drive. Also, I have 3 versions of CivIII and it can tell which CD is correct!!!
Thoughts??

C:\MPS\CIV2\civ2.TMMbak
Backup file civ2.TMMbak already exists. If you want to patch this file again, please delete the backup manually.
ERROR : Operation aborted

What's that?? I try to get my Civ 2 (Infrogames classic) to work on my Win7 laptop.

I downloaded the Cedric's five part zip. arsenal
here.

Then I unzipped all of 'em to the C:/MPS/CIV2 folder.

Now I tried to use Mastermind's patch and I got the same message which is in the quote. PLEASE HELP ME!! I'M TIRED ON TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN!

EDIT: Oh sorry, I didn't know that this has been asked here already. Answer:
I'd say check if you have administrator privileges granted for the patcher and read/write for the whole Civ2 folder. 
Default UAC settings for Win7 might prevent you from using the patch, so try to disable them for a while until you patch your game. 
There's plenty of guides on the internet describing how to do that, if that is actually your problem.
Finally, if all else fails, I can upload the patched civ2.exe file for you to download and you could see if that works for you. 
I used the same patcher, but I also have the patch that fixes AI - it's not permanently hostile as in standard MGE version of the game, which is a plus in my opinion.

Haven't tried yet but I'll ask if I have problems. Thanks! -Robert

Before patching the executable, my program makes a backup of the original civ2.exe file (just in case...).

If the file already exists (civ2.tmm), I abort the patching process to make sure I don't delete the only copy left of the original exe.

Like the error message says, if you really want to patch Civ2.exe, you need to delete the civ2.tmm manually (and take full responsibility for it :p). After deleting the file, you can execute my application again and it should work without problems.

Before patching the executable, my program makes a backup of the original civ2.exe file (just in case...).

If the file already exists (civ2.tmm), I abort the patching process to make sure I don't delete the only copy left of the original exe.

Like the error message says, if you really want to patch Civ2.exe, you need to delete the civ2.tmm manually (and take full responsibility for it :p). After deleting the file, you can execute my application again and it should work without problems.

Okay, I'll try this. So, am I right that /civ2.tmm is located in c:/MPS/CIV2? I'll check it out. I didn't get the message of your patch since I'm not english. Now I got it. Thanks. I might get interested of creating own guide to get Civ2 Classic to work on 64bit computers. -Robert

Spoiler :
A patching location could not be found.

The most likely reason is that the version of Civ2.exe that you have is 16 bits. This patching utility is
not meant to make 16 bits version of Civ2 works on 64 bits OS. This patching utility fixes a bug in the
32 bits version that makes it crash on 64 bits OS.

If you think this is your situation, please, press Cancel.

Another possibility. If you didn't purchase a retail version of Civilization 2, but purchased it on the
web, the content of Civ2.exe file might be encrypted/compressed. Since I can't (or won't) try to
break every encryption/compression algorythm those site can use (for legal reasons, amongs
others), I've developed the following solution.

This utility can patch the Civ2.exe right in memory after it is launched. The problem is that this
needs to be done everytime you run the game.

To make this easier, this utility can create a shortcut on your desktop that will call itself, launch
civ2.exe and then patch the process right in memory.

Restrictions are the same as with any shortcut, the location of this utility and the civ2.exe can't
change.

If you want to create a shortcut on your desktop that will launch civ2 and attempt to patch it right in
memory, press Create Shortcut, otherwise, press Cancel.
What's up now? Deleted the TMM. file and got this?? I already unzipped the MGE packages in the place!! How to go through this one?

It would seem it's still civ2 classic you have in the directory. If you start civ2.exe, does the game start or windows give you an error? if you get an error from Windows, it's because it's still civ2 classic.

I get an error. I can't understand! Why I have error after I unzipped all the five Cedric's zip-files to CIV2 directory? Weird.

It would seem it's still civ2 classic you have in the directory. If you start civ2.exe, does the game start or windows give you an error? if you get an error from Windows, it's because it's still civ2 classic.

Works now. Thanks a lot Mastermind! :goodjob: Now I CAN play my sweet Civ 2 from Win7 64bit. Thanks a dozen, I really appreciate this :worship:. I will make my own quide to how to get Civ 2 "vanilla" installed to win 64 bit. I wont forget to mention your name there.

Bah, I failed! I shouldn't have been happy too early.. Now it is MGE but you told us to first start your program, then start civ2 but when civ2 is on, your program won't patch since civ2.exe is opened "by another program". Help please, I can give you screenshots too if you don't recognize the problem.

EDIT:
Spoiler :
Screenshots:

You start my application
You start Civ2.
Go to at least the first menu in Civ2.
Alt+tab to my application and click "Patch process"
(My application will now scan all process running to find process named Civ2.exe. So if you renamed your exe file, it won't work, sorry! For every Civ2.exe process, a patching attempt will be made)
I start the application:

I start Civ 2:

But I get black screen..

I press Alt+Tab to get the 1st menu.

I cannot see patch process- button but there is something called patch.

It fails since its opened in another window..

What to do?? I get the black screen too if i try to patch without opening the program at the time..

I'm not sure where you say I mentioned to start civ2 first, but it must have been in a different context that doesn't apply to you.

To patch the civ2.exe, you can't have it running.

YES!! FINALLY ITS WOOOORKIIIINNNG!!!! WOOOHHOOO :hammer2::rockon::dance::dance::sheep::thanx:!!! Thanks a dozen :worship:!

I just dug up my old username and password (have been away about 5 years) to thank you very much for this patch. :)

Also, just a tip, if OP could edit the first post in this thread and add the latest patch there and the thing about not having too many sub folders, that would be great.

So, I have a bit of a problem...

I have Win 7 Pro 64-bit, and a ToT disk. When I try to run your patch, it comes up with the "could not find patch location, create some shortcut to patch in memory" issue that it claims is caused by a 16-bit install. Buuut... my install isn't 16-bit! If it were I understand it shouldn't install or load, but it does both just fine, so I guess it can't be 16-bit... right? Funnily enough, running the Cedric patch seems to CAUSE the 16-bit error, how's that for irony?

Help?

Top Bottom