End of Empires - N3S III

The Beautiful Turns

Imagine for yourself the figure we know as the baraed (equilateral triangle). It possesses three equal lines, each turning (angling) by an equal amount to form a closed figure. It may be oriented in any of six positions, in which, were it to be cleaved in two, it would form two shapes, identical but inverse to each other. These six positions have two different visually distinguishable orientations, one of which is wide at the top, the other of which is wide at the bottom.

These two shapes, the high baraed and the low baraed, can be superimposed upon each other. If their sides are placed upon each other, they merge to form a feraen (diamond). Move them together so that their centres overlap, we are presented with the image of a soarues (six-pointed star). Each side is half of the length of those in the original baraeda, and the turns (the word ‘turns’ is translated from Faerouhaiaouan ‘holaia’, and the concept is similar to that of ‘angles’) between the lines alternate between their original size, and twice their original size. If one turn of the original size and one turn of the doubled size are isolated, and placed embracing each other, a new, perfectly straight line is formed. One quickly learns that six turns of the original size, or three turns of the double size, can be placed together to form a complete rotation.

The original turns are the components of a baraed. However, the doubled turns, when reconstructed into a figure, form a haraed (hexagon). One can continue to slightly increase the size of each of these turns, increasing the number of equal lines in a figure. However, this can only be continued until the size of the turn has reached that of three turns of a baraed. At this point, the line becomes straight. However, infinitely close to this point, exists the hai (circle)- the most perfect and singular of all figures, composed of an infinite number of equal segments, each separated by a turn infinitely close to that of the combination of three turns of a baraed.

Consider that the turns of six baraeda, placed together, form a closed figure. These six baraeda are twice as many as the three bareda required to form a straight line. Thus, we understand that while three baraeda turns are enough to create a linear form, six baraeda turns are enough to rotate a form entirely against itself.

The shape created by these six triangles is the haraed. Once again, we see that the combination of two baraeda turns results in the creation of a haraed turn. Six haraeda turns, each twice as large as a single baraed turn, are needed to close the figure. This pattern can be observed to continue itself as one enlarges the turn. Each widening results in the need for more lines to close a figure, until the infinite point is reached, at which the hai is formed.

Imagine for yourself the figure we know as the maed (square). It possesses four equal lines, each turning around by an equal amount to form a closed figure. It may be oriented in any of eight positions, in which, were it to be cleaved in two, it would form two shapes, identical but inverse to each other. These six positions have two different visually distinguishable orientations, one of which is equally wide at the top and bottom, the other of which is wide at the centre and thin at the top and bottom.

When the turns of two maeda are placed together, they instantly form a straight line. Likewise, the combination of four turns results in a complete rotation. Knowing that three and six baraeda turns were required to perform the same tasks, it is demonstrated that the turn of the maed is equal to the turn of half of three turns of a baraed.

The straight line can be defined only by the angles of these two figures. It remains the closest knowable value to that of the turn of a hai- a beautiful and sacred value that can never become more than a crude approximation...

The preceding is a translated extract from ‘Holaia Haiaoua’ (The Beautiful Turns), the magnum opus of the Faerouhaiaouan Mathematician and Philosopher Raedae Surahaila. Much was to come of his groundbreaking inquiries into geometry, fractions, and the infinite.

Curious: Is it possible to buy a city? You know, put on a show so great that the city rulers make King Herod's folley: "I will give you whatever you want, up to half my kingdom." I'd like to pull off some early expansion that way.

.....Where would you expand to? The only cultures near "you" are ones older and more established, lessening the likelihood of any acceptance to near nil.

Curious: Is it possible to buy a city? You know, put on a show so great that the city rulers make King Herod's folley: "I will give you whatever you want, up to half my kingdom." I'd like to pull off some early expansion that way.

You can try. It might not work.

.....Where would you expand to? The only cultures near "you" are ones older and more established, lessening the likelihood of any acceptance to near nil.

It would be in Shu, to the west. I don't think it's too old for a city's leaders to be bribed, nor should a rebellion occur, considering the structure of Reman society (which is a loose confederation, tighter than Greek city-states but looser than, say, American Statehood).

North King said:
You can try. It might not work.

I will. I'll write a hanging story so the ending can be added when a decision has been made. I think that if the leaders are drunk enough :vomit:they'll say yes :please:

It would be in Shu, to the west. I don't think it's too old for a city's leaders to be bribed, nor should a rebellion occur, considering the structure of Reman society (which is a loose confederation, tighter than Greek city-states but looser than, say, American Statehood).

I'm not actively trying to discourage you, but Shu is an aggressive, expansionist state. Take that as you will.

I'm not actively trying to discourage you, but Shu is an aggressive, expansionist state. Take that as you will.

Glad you told me that. I'll be sure to take that into account. Is it feudal? Are there competing warlords who are willing to backstab to advance themselves?

Glad you told me that. I'll be sure to take that into account. Is it feudal? Are there competing warlords who are willing to backstab to advance themselves?

Somewhat feudal, but they are no more "warlords" than any nobility are.

I think that lords of a small city with no real hope of advancing would accept a bribe that would help them in war , like weapons and such. And of course, if you get them drunk enough...

....Despite being sad for having to state the bloody obvious, I must point out that he hasn't even done stats yet......

The DEP Encyclopedia: Nacissism

...Nacissism is the first organized idea in Reman history that accepted the truth of Reman superiority. In the face of agressive powers, the Nacissists threw off any idea of assimilation and saw the Reman nation for what it was; highly developed, and likely to dominate. Nacissist ideas would later be the foundation of Neo-Tomanism, which, in turn, would be the foundation of Vycissism. ...

Reman World Encyclopedia: Evynihate Day

...Europa City, in response to the Evyni rejection of the trade agreement, immediately passed a motion to create the holiday of Evynihate Day. At first, no one took the holiday seriously, but when Remans began to grow weary of the apparent agression of some of the local neighbors, the holiday took a new form beyond offense from the rejection of a trade agreement. ...

It was dusk, but the center of Ateuma was alight with the burning bags lining the square. Bodies were crammed in the small space between the small buildings, though no one complained. Great care was taken to make sure that the sharpened sticks all held, tipped with the blood of a sacrificial lamb killed for the occasion, did not stab fellow townsmen. And all the while, an angry hum was heard. But this was to be expected on Evynihate Day.

Lobio had participated in the festivities with joy. He had filled the sacks with dung himself, and took joy as they were burned in effigy of Evyni “scholars”, who had slapped his people in the face. Seeing them burned along the sack with the name “Charlosi” inscribed on it was, to him, entirely fitting. After all, the Evyni and Charlosi were essentially one and the same.

This evening, he kept the stick close to his chest as a safety precaution. Ateuma may be a small city, with only three hundred souls; nevertheless, they were able to fill up the plaza quite fast, which made for a tight squeeze. But Lobio didn’t care for the discomfort. The Evyni must die, seeing as they would kill his family and ruin his business. They must know their fate, too. This will send a message.

A low wooden stage had been erected in the center of the plaza, and at each corner, a burning sack, tied off at certain points so as to resemble a human, served as lighting. After a period of waiting in discomfort, a man in a toga forced his way through the crowd and onto the stage. Flapacci, a citizen of Ateuma chosen to head the ceremonies, was a short man but with built muscles. After calling out to the crowd to quite down, he said, “I am glad that you all have hung through the prior ceremonies. Indeed, this Evynihate Day will be one for the records; not just because of the care taken in the rituals, but for the fact that today we have two very special guests. First, I would like to welcome Ibbara Civizzi, who has a message for our city.”

The ibbara, dressed in a purple toga with a red sash and hood, stepped from the edge of the crowd onto the platform after Flapacci stepped off. The man was very tall, and quite handsome. Lobio had heard of him; everyone had heard of him, for that matter. He was one of the few ibbara who were making unorthodox conversation at the Tomanist Sessions on Saturdays, purporting the idea of Reman superiority, called Nacissism. He taught that each geographic region of the world would be unified by a power for each, and that the Remans were destined to rule the north. It was a strange idea, but was growing in popularity. Lobio himself agreed with the idea, even though it didn’t seem very Tomanist.

Civizzi stood silent, looking over the heads of all those in the crowd as if making sure all eyes were on him. This only took a few moments, which didn’t surprise Lobio. Ibarra in Ateuma were popular, more popular than, say, in Marsapia, where they struggled just to stay in town. After Civizzi felt that he had their attention, he began with a yell: “Remans, listen to me! Diamo has endowed us with a blessing, a blessing not given to any other nation in the world. Diamo has chosen us, a humble people, to lead the world to His light and His salvation. It is by His hand that our founder, Remulio, came to be, and it is by His hand that Masosio lead us to these lands. We are here for a reason, a purpose, and He has enlightened us as to our mission.

“Travellers tell of a land far to the south, beyond the hated Evyni, in lands far different from ours. For a great time, this land to the south fought war after war between two great powers, and it seemed as if this bloodshed, this conflict, would continue forever. But one day came when the land united under one power. And since then, there has been only one authority in this land, as there always will be.

“This has been repeated over and over again. Lands that were once feudal have united under one power, and separation slowly ceased. This is true for all lands except the North, our land. We have not united, and there is only one reason why: Diamo has not willed unity yet. But the time is coming, my friends. Our time is coming.

“We will succeed. Today is Evynihate Day, but there is one lesson that can be taken from the Evyni. There are, indeed, two forces, in constant opposition, and they do create our world. The forces are Diamo, of all that is good and light, and Sodo, the father of Charlosi and all that is evil and dark. I tell you all tonight that the Evyni, the Shu, and all of our aggressive, heathen neighbors, are of this dark force, and right now, there is an imbalance. If we allow for this imbalance to persist, darkness will overtake light, and the world will be thrown out of balance and cease to exist. But if we follow Diamo, and fulfill our destiny to be the power of the North, then I can assure you, balance shall be restored.

“So, my friends, prepare for the coming time when balance shall be restored. Prepare for the moment when the Evyni are gone forever, and there will be peace in the North. May Sodo feast on your so-called scholars, you Evyni! You shall pay for your strike against the Remans!”

Lobio raised his stick along with the others and yelled at the top of his lungs towards the south. He yelled with all his might, so that the Evyni could hear him and fear him. Civizzi held his fist high and yelled south as well. It was all one action that all participated in. And they all took pride.

Civizzi stepped off the stage, and Flapacci took his place. “We can all take the wise Civizzi’s words to heart, my friends,” he said. “And now, you shall be graced by an envoy from Europa City: the honorable Citizen Aeliopo.”

Aeliopo, shorter than Civizzi and more plain in both dress and physical appearance, was standing by Civizzi when he was called. He stepped onto the stage just as Flapacci returned to the crowd. Aeliopo did not wait for the buzz of the crowd to silence. Rather, he simply began speaking.

“Citizens of the Ateuma and the Reman Democracy,” he said, “today marks a monumental event in Reman history. It was today that the Evyni Empire first declared its stance towards the Remans. It declared that we shall all be exterminated unless we were to assimilate into the Empire. But this is not the desire of the Remans. The Evyni have no respect for the government we possess. It has no respect for our democratic values, and for the rights of individuals. It simply wants to expand its belief systems, without respect for the beliefs of others, including ourselves.

“I was there in Europa City when the message from the Evyni was received. I was there when our original message was delivered. We were not unreasonable. We did not demand that the Evyni sacrifice their beliefs. We even gave the Evyni the right to preach their philosophy in our lands. But they reacted by demanding that we change our beliefs, and swearing our deaths if we didn’t. We were shocked in Europa City, but we should not have been surprised. In fact, we should thank the Evyni for enlightening us. We now realize that we live in hostile lands, and that if our nation does not prepare to defend itself, we will cease to exist. That is the true spirit behind Evynihate Day. It is a reminder to all Remans in the land that we are in danger, that our neighbors are hostile, and that we must be ready.

“Citizens of Ateuma, it is mandatory that you mobilize! Prepare for war! Prepare for an invasion! It may not come in a year, or a hundred years, but be ready. It will come. The Evyni are far superior in force, but they are not immortal. We in Europa City will perform our part. We will form alliances with the enemies of the Evyni, and we will support them in war with whatever we have. But the Reman people must take on the responsibility of defending themselves, so that we may live and prosper in the future. That is the message from Europa City I have for you. Please, take it to heart.”

When Aeliopo finished, Flapacci joined him on stage. “What a fine speech by Citizen Aeliopo. My friends, I agree with him, with all my heart. We must not allow ourselves to be eliminated. We must mobilize! We must prepare for war! We must fight!”

A great yell arose in the crowd, and all the sticks were raised. Flapacci yelled like a warrior, “Death to the Evyni!” The roar grew louder, and the sticks were raised higher. Lobio, in between shouts, watched as four men rolled a cart with a massive bag in it to the southern edge of the crowd. They pulled the “head” of the sack up and attached it to a rope, then hoisted the sack up a high poll, so that it hung from its neck. The crowd rushed the sack and began plunging the sharpened sticks into it. The ritual lasted for about five minutes, then when all were away, the sack was lit on fire.

“Freedom for Rema! Death to the Evyni!” Lobio yelled. And he meant every word.

Top Bottom