Official System Requirements

Forgive my ignorance (which is why I'm in this thread asking about this): The web site specs don't list "memory frequency"; the "Effective Memory Clock Speed" and the "RAMDAC Speed" are 873 MHz, and the "Core Clock Speed" is 750 MHz.

"Effective Memory Clock Speed" = 873 MHz: That's it :)
You should look up the prices for a HD 5570, if it's the same or slighly more you should probably go for that one.

Then you're fine :).

Thanks J, I was thinking of upgrading, but I am going to bide my time for a little while. I figure they will be making expansion packs for Civ 5 after awhile, am I correct? If I am I think I will wait until they are out.

Thanks J, I was thinking of upgrading, but I am going to bide my time for a little while. I figure they will be making expansion packs for Civ 5 after awhile, am I correct? If I am I think I will wait until they are out.
An expansion is most likely, but not confirmed. See how your current system runs the game and then you can always think about upgrading later. Bonus of that is that components get cheaper anyway, so if you wait either you'll get your upgrade cheaper, or you'll get more bang for the same buck.

An expansion is most likely, but not confirmed. See how your current system runs the game and then you can always think about upgrading later. Bonus of that is that components get cheaper anyway, so if you wait either you'll get your upgrade cheaper, or you'll get more bang for the same buck.

Yes, thanks for the tip. I was thinking basically the same thing.

I posted the following in another thread by mistake, not noticing the sticky. Sorry for that.

Please help!

I am buying a laptop for this game and I'm having a very hard time choosing. My options are

1) Asus Aspire with i7 720QM CPU, 4g DDR3 and HD 5650 GPU (with 1 gb DDR3) or

2) MSI GX640 with i5 430, 4g DDR3 and HD 5850 (with 1 gb DDR5)

As you can see the first laptop has a quad core processor while the second has a stronger GPU with a dual core processor.

What should I choose??? :confused:

I think you can better buy the quad core. Civ 5 will be harder on the cpu than the gpu compared with other games, because it has many cpu intensive tasks.

I too prefer the gameplan when I can't afford the graphics. My previous experience supports the idea of a "conservative" min, but I have recently run into a major problem trying to play a BTS GOTM, where CIV4BTS closes when I try to load the BUFFY. My comp is within the min requirements, and I did load the HOF and played a vanilla GOMT (I have bought the complete version). And some hints on what may be the issue are more than appreciated (yes, I have a Vista, and yes, I did all the Vista fixes|

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced: Those GPU Requirements cannot be true. They are downright insane for a turn-based game. They might very well be the highest of any game yet, in any genre.
Consider the Graphics Card Heirarchy Chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2033-7.html

Those requirements exclude something along the lines of 90% of the world's laptops, and 75% of the world's desktops. If I was on the sales staff at Firaxis, I would murder the programmers for even suggesting these requirements.

Simply put, I do not believe this. If true, Civ 5 will be a huge failure. Deservedly so.

Well, maybe not a failure, but will get a lot less customers than ANY Civilization deserves!

I am willing to spend up to $200 CAN on this, and from what I've seen so far I shouldn't have to spend any more than that. I simply don't want to end up not being able to enjoy all the permutations of the game like I did with IV.

For CAN$200, you can do much, much better than either of the cards you were looking at. You can get a GTX 460 for CAD$199+Shipping, or a Radeon 5770 for CAD$143+shipping after a rebate. The GTX 460 is a good deal faster than the 5770, for what it's worth. You do have a PCI-Express slot, right? :blush:

If you're on AGP, the best you're going to do is this Radeon 4670 for CAD$105+shipping after rebate

I posted the following in another thread by mistake, not noticing the sticky. Sorry for that.

Please help!

I am buying a laptop for this game and I'm having a very hard time choosing. My options are

1) Asus Aspire with i7 720QM CPU, 4g DDR3 and HD 5650 GPU (with 1 gb DDR3) or

2) MSI GX640 with i5 430, 4g DDR3 and HD 5850 (with 1 gb DDR5)

As you can see the first laptop has a quad core processor while the second has a stronger GPU with a dual core processor.

What should I choose??? :confused:

Personally, I'd go for the one with the stronger graphics - the Mobility 5850 is about twice as powerful as the 5650, and that will do more to improve your experience than a quad-core CPU, especially at the 1680x1050 resolution of the screen on that laptop.

CIV4 requires videocards with TnL and Pixel shader capability. Are there any minimum requirements for CIV5 of this kind or alike?

well I bought mine last year, is that still considered recent?

Should be recent enough, considering Apple's release timeframes. Mostly it depends on which model did you end up with? Are we talking base 13" MBP with integrated graphics, the top-end MBP 17" with a standalone GPU, or something in between.

I hope it's something with a standalone GPU.

CIV4 requires videocards with TnL and Pixel shader capability. Are there any minimum requirements for CIV5 of this kind or alike?

:) TnL and Pixel shader versions requirements were DX8 era :) a REALLY long time ago. Minimum requirements are DX9c and if dx9c still has lots of features non mandatory they atre not game breaking as previous DX versions. DX10 and DX11 gear MUST comply with all the features. that is if U have a DX10 card and the game runs DX10 then the game Will launch on EVERY dx10 capable card :) the question of how many FPS u will get is an entirely different subject though.

The problem you have is that the 6-series are actually 6-years old now. I doubt it'll run much at all due to the age of it.

Well since 6800 is a DX9c card it Will launch :) but I assume its coupled with a single core cpu it probably wont be playable more than a few turns.

According to a graphics hierarchy chart i found by a simple Google search for this. No integrated graphics card are powerful enough to make the minimum requirements. I simply do not believe this, that would be insanely stupid of them. The majority of it's users I am guessing are relatively ignorant when it comes to computers. The probably don't even look at the graphics card when buying a PC. This would make the majority of their users unable to play.

I actually don't know how this works, but can you guys get these requirements up on Can You Run It? so that I can just click-analyze?

Old Pentium 4, I'm guessing? Yeah, it's time to upgrade.;)

:cry: No need to get insulting :( Its a P5. I bought mine just a few weeks/months before dualcore, or maybe even after but it was to expensive then. It was about 4 years ago , beginning of 2006.

But long enough to warrant a new PC yes ;)
Now for the money :( ...anybody wants to rent my body for a new PC?:lol:

Couldn't they give the system requirements BEFORE i bought my new smartphone a week earlier

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Name Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Adapter Type Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

I'm going to need to upgrade my GPU wouldn't I?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Name Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Adapter Type Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

I'm going to need to upgrade my GPU wouldn't I?

No, you need a new computer.

Top Bottom